Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 10, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #1,156 of 1,506

Honestly I found these headphones far from "muffled" sounding. If anything they were TOO dynamic. Soundstage is good, slightly forward but not small. Treble was too bright for my taste and the bass was a little bit more whompy than I like but would sound fantastic with electronic music. If anything these headphones are far from muffled sounding but won't appeal to everyone's tastes. Still though a fantastic portable headphone, better than most of the ones I tried.

I just find a french review which agrees with me : 

Il faut dire que les aigus sont nettement en retrait, mais présents tout de même, et les médiums mis en avant. La différence se joue sur quelques dB seulement, rien n'est exagéré [...].Attention donc, ce casque est précis mais ça ne s'entend pas toujours au premier abord.

Forcément, les voix s'en retrouvent plus que flattées, ainsi que pas mal d'enregistrements acoustiques, le casque reproduisant une atmosphère sonore assez voluptueuse. Les amateurs de neutralité risquent par contre d'être un peu déçus. Sur des musiques plus électriques/électroniques, c'est également agréable mais attention à la qualité du mixage : si les basses sont trop renforcées, cela peut devenir étouffant !

I can traduce by : 

Treble is backward but still here. Mids are forward. The Difference is only about a few decibels, nothing is exaggerated [...]. The headphone is precise but it's possible to not be heard at the first listening. 

I won't traduce the rest but the thing is here. I'm not saying that they are bad, but they don't suit my tastes. 

Also, they don't isolate a lot in public transport, they are not very nomad in my opinion (By the size and the isolation). 

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,157 of 1,506
Any other case recommendations out there? Wacks wants $13 just for shipping. I hate paying shipping!

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,158 of 1,506
I'm sorry, misread your question. If you have a Prime Amazon membership you can avoid shipping cost and have your stuff ASAP. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,159 of 1,506
Any other case recommendations out there? Wacks wants $13 just for shipping. I hate paying shipping!

$13 shipping for a few hundred dollar headphones seems reasonable..
I've yet to see a case as sturdy and slim as Wacks, so far c type go case seems nice but never got to see how sturdy or nice the fit is with the p7 so can't comment on that.. Else so far, most are very ugly looking or too bulky/tacky/loose fitting with foams you have to cut out yourself..

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,161 of 1,506
Yes, my first pair did.  I took it back and Best Buy exchanged them.  I have the extended warranty and this was about 8 months after buying them.  I think something in the center of the band does break if you pull on them too hard.

Does anyone else have creases in the leather headband when you stretch them outward? I have two pairs and the newer one forms creases as soon as you start stretching (to put them on your head).

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,162 of 1,506
$13 shipping for a few hundred dollar headphones seems reasonable..
I've yet to see a case as sturdy and slim as Wacks, so far c type go case seems nice but never got to see how sturdy or nice the fit is with the p7 so can't comment on that.. Else so far, most are very ugly looking or too bulky/tacky/loose fitting with foams you have to cut out yourself..

This case works very well.  You do need to completely collapse them for it to fit, but it is very solid for $20 with prime shipping.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,163 of 1,506
I've recently been looking for an upgrade on my much used ATH-M50's and a bit of research lead me eventually to this site and this thread in particular where I was intrigued by what you all thought of these headphones. Yesterday I got chance to listen to the P7's and was immediately blown away by their sound quality - so much so that I bought a pair.  I've got them running through a Macbook Pro, Audirvana and a Dragonfly and they sound absolutely amazing - very clear, detailed and just really enjoyable to listen to. I'm very happy.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,164 of 1,506
I still use my old M50's for gaming but once I heard the P7's I was struck as you were.  They are extremely efficient and clear as as anything else for the same money.  But I still love the old M50's as they clearly compete for the price point.  The low end is amazing but just not as accurate as the P7's.  The only others I am curious to compare to the P7's are the custom Fostex T50RP's called Mad Dogs.  Anyone experienced?  Are you experienced?
(apologies to Jimmy) 
o2smile.gif

jhv

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,165 of 1,506
Can anyone compare the Sony MDR-7520 to the B&W P7? The Sony cans are in the same price range but with an "understated" look of function over form.

I've heard some good things about the MDR-7520 but if anyone could direct me a to a link or thread featuring a Head-fi shootout between the B&W P7, MDR-7520, and NAD Viso HP50 that would be greatly appreciated. They are all portable closed headphones in the $300-$400 price range and I think things would get intense in a showdown :O ***whistles the theme to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly*** 
ph34r.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,166 of 1,506
  I still use my old M50's for gaming but once I heard the P7's I was struck as you were.  They are extremely efficient and clear as as anything else for the same money.  But I still love the old M50's as they clearly compete for the price point.  The low end is amazing but just not as accurate as the P7's.  The only others I am curious to compare to the P7's are the custom Fostex T50RP's called Mad Dogs.  Anyone experienced?  Are you experienced?
(apologies to Jimmy) 
o2smile.gif

jhv

Compare to Mad Dog probably I prefer the P7. IMHO Mad Dog focus on low to mid range and with P7 strong point is from mid to high (I find P7 lack on the bass, not bad though just a bit behind compare to the mid and high quality) and the soundstage and clarity is better on P7 as far as I remember.
But if you really like P7 I would recommend you Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (based on sound quality alone because comfort wise the P7 has big win for me).

Yeah, agree with you on the bass alone on the M50 is awesome but to my ear i'll choose P7 for overall package.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,167 of 1,506
  Yes, my first pair did.  I took it back and Best Buy exchanged them.  I have the extended warranty and this was about 8 months after buying them.  I think something in the center of the band does break if you pull on them too hard.

The thing is they were like that straight from a sealed box. Oh well, the Finnish importer (Sound and Cinema) changed them no questions asked. Really excellent service! Big thumbs up!

Must have been bad luck as I now have three pairs of the P7s (home, work, wife) and they are rock solid in terms of build quality.

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,169 of 1,506
  CA DacMagic XS or NAD D1050 - which would be better for P7? I'd like to improve the sound from my notebook, will the difference be noticeable?
Thanks!

Both have received good reviews, I'd go with the form factor that best fits your needs. I haven't heard much at all about the headphone output from the NAD...I have no reason to think it isn't fine yet I'd try to find out a bit more about it if possible. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,170 of 1,506
Snug, comes to mind...  I like the pouch that velcros into
the inner lid.  Excellent build and very cost-effective.  
Thanks for the post ddaktiv!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back