Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,141 of 1,506
  Hi, just got a pair of them. Am I the only one to think that they don't worth €400 ? Very dark, not very detailed sound and overall I feel that treble is missing. Overall, I prefer my pair of Sony MH1. Tried with an AK120 with FLAC files. 

I am surprised by your comment regarding the treble.  I do not find this to be the case at all.  Are you prepared to let them burn in a bit before you make a final judgment?  I have had mine for about two months now, and I do not recall any dramatic change with burning in, but if my memory serves me well, I think the highs did come forward a bit after about 25 hours...maybe less.  I think I ran them over night with iPod on shuffle for a few days.  Good luck.  Everyone's ears are different, so these may not be to your liking.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,142 of 1,506
Hi, just got a pair of them. Am I the only one to think that they don't worth €400 ? Very dark, not very detailed sound and overall I feel that treble is missing. Overall, I prefer my pair of Sony MH1. Tried with an AK120 with FLAC files. 

On the + side, they are comfortable. 
If there is any tip, I take them :)

Have a nice day 

Try loosening the headband by placing round box for a few hours. Or temporary to see if the over tight pressure adds too much upper bass/ muddy lower MIDs. I found it had lost excitement I had heard in a well worn shop demo. Release of pressure reduced bass and gave back sound I had anticipated.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,143 of 1,506
Try loosening the headband by placing round box for a few hours. Or temporary to see if the over tight pressure adds too much upper bass/ muddy lower MIDs. I found it had lost excitement I had heard in a well worn shop demo. Release of pressure reduced bass and gave back sound I had anticipated.

Keep it playing when you're not using them. At 50% volume should be enough. Saw the guys at some audio shop leave em on the whole evening for "burn-in" apparently they treat their demo phones this way to get the headphones a good run in prior to a customer demoing them on their shop.

Saw a lot of people talk about burn in but never believed them until I had the chance to catch the change while listening to my dap one time. It really opened up while I was listening to it and It was a very pleasant surprise.

P7 so far gives one of the best clarity without sounding muddy or harsh even after the excitement of a new purchase I find myself amazed at the sound coming from them with new songs and all.
Try having it checked if burn in time doesn't work though or bring it to your dealer and compare with their demo set. Suggested burn in time usually around 200+ hours ymmv.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,144 of 1,506
  I am surprised by your comment regarding the treble.  I do not find this to be the case at all.  Are you prepared to let them burn in a bit before you make a final judgment?  I have had mine for about two months now, and I do not recall any dramatic change with burning in, but if my memory serves me well, I think the highs did come forward a bit after about 25 hours...maybe less.  I think I ran them over night with iPod on shuffle for a few days.  Good luck.  Everyone's ears are different, so these may not be to your liking.

Hi, I just feel that the voices are too much backward. I don't like that very much. I don't really believe in Burn in but I will try. They were already used by my father so we will see if there is any change. 

Overall, they are not dynamic enough to my tastes. 

I can confirm that they are pretty comfortable. There is 2 headphone I can stand : Bose QC15 and the P7. By the way, I can't wait to try the new QC25. Hope they will sound better than the QC15. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,146 of 1,506

Hi, I just feel that the voices are too much backward. I don't like that very much. I don't really believe in Burn in but I will try. They were already used by my father so we will see if there is any change. 

I can confirm that they are pretty comfortable. There is 2 headphone I can stand : Bose QC15 and the P7. By the way, I can't wait to try the new QC25. Hope they will sound better than the QC15. 

What are you using for a source with the P7's? I'm getting very enjoyable results with the Gungnir and Asgard 2 or my FiiO X3 and E12 with the P7's. 

Most reviewers have found the P7's to be great in the treble but a bit loose in the bass until they've burnt in a while and then it tightens up. Of course, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks if YOU don't enjoy them...its about your music and your ears and you have to find the can's that you enjoy most. Good luck!

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,147 of 1,506

What are you using for a source with the P7's? I'm getting very enjoyable results with the Gungnir and Asgard 2 or my FiiO X3 and E12 with the P7's. 

Most reviewers have found the P7's to be great in the treble but a bit loose in the bass until they've burnt in a while and then it tightens up. Of course, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks if YOU don't enjoy them...its about your music and your ears and you have to find the can's that you enjoy most. Good luck!

Hi, I'm using a 2006 Mac Pro, an iPod Classic 7Th gen and an Astell Kern AK120 

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,148 of 1,506

Just listened Ey in the Sky on the Mac Pro and the AK120. I don't hear a big difference. 

I have to compare with my brothers's Pandora Hope VI / Shure SRH-1840. I'm more a IEM guy :D

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,149 of 1,506

I think you might like the hd800, they're pretty vocal without bass. Also the grado ps1000, with better bass than the hd800 but too harsh for me.
How do you judge dynamics? never really thought Bose would be anywhere near the list so quite curious. Comfort maybe. Sound and dynamics?

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,150 of 1,506
The headphones you're talking about are above my budget. I will see at christmas. The Pandora Hope was a big pleasure to listen to. 

When I say dynamic, I mean that it's not muffled, crystal clear. Pretty hard to explain because i'm not a pro. 

About the QC15, I love the comfort and isolation. Sound is not pretty good but I had a 7 hours trip (Train) and it was perfect. I think they worth €300. 

I will burn the P7 to see if there is a change. I'm listening Hold The Line right now, not bad at all. Maybe it's a question of habits.

EDIT : I'm listening 'arrêter la clope' by Renaud, it feels muffled. 
triportsad.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,151 of 1,506
I need B&W to come out with a pair of Bluetooth, noise cancelling P9's...  I love my P7's.  They are the most comfortable, best sounding cans I've found.  This week I caved to temptation in my search for wireless bliss and picked up a pair of Beats Studio Wireless.  I'll tell you, they are close.  The biggest problem in my opinion is the ear pads are too thin, which I'm considering ways to mod/alleviate.  The noise cancelling does have a bit of static/buzz, but I am now willing to live with that.  It is otherwise very effective.  Sound is good.  A notch below the P7's.  Honestly the P7 has more bass and is cleaner.  Comfort wise the P7's win big.  I am starting to realize the headaches I've gotten the 2 days since using the Beats is from the thin ear pads.  The right driver is touching my ear and putting pressure on it in a way that is causing me pain over longer sessions.  And back to the topic of bass, I found that if I pull the cups off my ears slightly, it gets much cleaner and has more presence.  Like simply pulling the cups back until the pads are just touching my head.  So I'm looking for a way to modify the pads on them and I think they may be good enough until B&W comes out with something.

Please B&W, have something in the works for this.....

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,152 of 1,506
Hi, guys!

I've been using P7 for year and I'm a very happy and satisfied owner of them. I'm just wondering of one thing - improving my source. I listen to them mostly at home, from my laptop. You can imagine that laptop is not the best source for such a cans. I consider to buy a Cambridge Audio Magic Dac XS, what do you think? Any advices? I must say I'm interested of noticeable changes only.

Greetings
jack

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,155 of 1,506

Honestly I found these headphones far from "muffled" sounding. If anything they were TOO dynamic. Soundstage is good, slightly forward but not small. Treble was too bright for my taste and the bass was a little bit more whompy than I like but would sound fantastic with electronic music. If anything these headphones are far from muffled sounding but won't appeal to everyone's tastes. Still though a fantastic portable headphone, better than most of the ones I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back