Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Jan 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #798 of 1,506
Got an email to come pick them up at Best Buy this morning! 

Then I went to Best Buy and the status changed to "no pick" and they can't find them. Their best option was to completely cancel my order and order a new pair. :triportsad:

Sometimes unexpected results happen. You will like the P7s.

BTW, sometimes Best BUY has open box or clearance B&Ws at specific stores. I have seen discounts up to 20% for open box P3s and P5s.

I have never seen a P7 open box deal; but, as people return all kinds of products all over the country, somewhere there might be an open box return for a P7. You can increase your Best BUY product search range of stores to 248 miles from a given zip code or address. There could also be a mailed back
return but I would think people would return items to a store if at all possible rather than shipping something back. Individual stores can lower prices to a different price than another store, so you may see some pricing differentiation.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #801 of 1,506
Part of the club now :D Ordered a Magni+Modi while I was at it :wink:
Gonna have to slow down quite a lot now though, not a lot of money as a student :frowning2:

That setup looks great! I was looking at the Magni/Modi combo for a bit, but the more time I spend on here, the higher my budget goes – I'm all the way up to a WA7 Fireflies now. *Sigh*

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #802 of 1,506
Originally Posted by Illustrator76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I understand. That is why I was saying that my view is based on all of the factors put together and averaged out (so to speak). While I know the HP50s are very similar to the M4U 1s, I do not at all care for the look of the HP50s, so that downgrades them fairly severely in my book. I realize that the P7s are not going to be perfect (really no headphone is) but based on all of the criteria that I was looking for they won out over everything else in the $300-$400 price range.

Just curious, though, sound quality wise how do you like the HP50s vs the P7s?

Agree 100% here. The whole cable jack issue was one of the things that knocked the P7 down a few points for me as well. I was looking for the exact same setup (a standard 3.5mm female connector down at the bottom of the left cup) as you are, but ultimately it is one of the small sacrifices that I will have to make with these headphones. Not being able to fold them up and store them in a sturdier & more compact hard case was my other biggest issue. 

There was a lot that I preferred with the HP50 form factor over the P7.  The cups may have been made out of plastic, but they were a ton lighter which is great for portable use.  The pads were also a little softer and the use of memory foam created a better overall seal (not that the P7 doesn't get a good seal).  Material-wise, the P7 definitely takes it though, the material choice is really aesthetically pleasing to the eye and touch while the HP50 only have it going for the eyes (although the plastic is a fingerprint magnet).  The HP50 is also a little more friendly to replaceable parts (cable), I didn't check the pads though.  The P7's pads seem a little easier to swap XD

I no longer have the HP50, got them as a loaner for a review, I do miss them.  I'd agree with Tyll that the P7 beat out the HP50 in terms of treble, but I think it's more or less a wash in the bass department.  The HP50 do have a better midrange from what I remember...  From what I remember...  These are 2-to-3-month old impressions...  

In the lower-end, I do disagree with Tyll that the P7 is bloated, but it does have a low-to-mid-bass focus on it that does color the sound.  The HP50's bass is more located into the sub-bass regions which makes it a little larger in contrast which also leads to much better texturing and presence.  The P7 felt a little faster to my ears though.  That said, the P7, contrary to what Tyll though, was actually tighter to my ears.  So if you want a more linear sound, the NAD would be the direction to go, but they don't have the tightness or speed that the P7 is perceived to have.  More or less, neither bass is truly better.  They both have their strengths and weaknesses and compliment one another very well actually.

In the midrange, the two headphones are similar.  They both offered a nice warm sound to them.  From memory they both do a good job detailing down low with a less aggressive sound, rather try to do it with little effort.  In the upper-areas, they both do decently well offering ample clarity.  The vocals were actually better with the HP50 for me however as the dynamics, specifically into the upper-vocals, were simply better.  Both headphones image very well though.  The HP50 does take a slight edge in the midrange as well.

In the treble regions, the P7 seemed to be a little more refined and linear in contrast to what I remember the HP50 to be.  Now, the VISO's treble wasn't bad by any regards.  The P7, however, just sounded a lot more linear with better extension.  Neither have audible peaks that are shrill or anything.  Both very good at detailing, but the VISO just didn't really have that extension that the P7 offers.  The HP50 was a little more laid back though, which is why a lot of people prefer them as in contrast, the P7 could sound a little too strong.  Overall though, the P7's treble sounded better to my ears.

Keep in mind these comparisons are from memory.  While I have the P7 with me, I don't have the NAD.  I really loved the sound of both actually.  The NAD sounded better to me out of the box while the P7 needed to burn in, but additionally, is an acquired taste.  

I had to take a look with regards to that wobble you were describing... I see what you are referring to now. For me I'm not too concerned as when I put them on and wear them they seem quite secure/stable.

As far as nit-picks... I kind of wish there would be a little more standardization by the manufacturers with their detachable cables. It would be nice to have a custom cable made these... Perhaps even one that I could also use with some of my other headphones but that unique internal curved 2.5mm connector?? I wish it had a standard 3.5mm female connector down at the bottom of the left cup.

If you put them on, the force between the headphone and your head makes the "wobble" undetectable, it actually isn't there.  The wobble is only there when you take them off and let the housings stand freely.  It's nitpicky...  And you are right about that curved 2.5mm connector, I personally would prefer it to be a drop down out of the housing, would make detaching it a lot easier...  But that also creates a curved strain relief inside of the housing which is more durable, that's the tradeoff.  I can forgive B&W for the connection to the headphone-end, but I'd rather an angled connector to plug into the device, they tend to last a little longer.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #803 of 1,506
That setup looks great! I was looking at the Magni/Modi combo for a bit, but the more time I spend on here, the higher my budget goes – I'm all the way up to a WA7 Fireflies now. *Sigh*

I guess you can be grateful your spending sights are not currently set on this amp from Woo Audio:
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa234mono/

There is always something better!

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #805 of 1,506
Finally decided to splurge on the P7 after several days of comparison between the Momentums and P7... I think even the store staff could recognize me after a while
biggrin.gif

I have to agree that the "wobble" in the folding hinges does worry me a bit, especially when you hold the headphones flat horizontally and the earcups sag under their own weight (which isn't light by any measure). Not sure how much stress those hinges can take, although build quality seems good overall.

Sound quality wise, I'm loving the P7 for the wide staging and tight bass. I also like the fact that the mids and vocals are very natural and smooth. I haven't had any issues with harshness or bright treble.

P.S. I'm new to this forum, always have been a big music fan and my decision to invest in a good set of cans started after stumbling onto this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

I've recently sold off my Momentums and M500s because my P7s ended up getting the majority of my head time for portable use.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #809 of 1,506
  Part of the club now :D Ordered a Magni+Modi while I was at it :wink:
Gonna have to slow down quite a lot now though, not a lot of money as a student :frowning2:

This pic shows just how tiny the M+M stack is. On their own without the headphones for comparison, they look the size of normal desktop amps/DACs.
  Nice.  Welcome.

Remember to signup for your free music downloads at the Society of Sound via the B&W Web site.

What do they require in terms of proof of purchase? Mine was a gift so I don't have a receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back