Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #181 of 1,506
  These arrived at the Apple Store yesterday so I picked up a pair. The portrayal of dynamics is really something.

Yep...got mine today as well. So far, so good. Very impressive headphones. 

Thanks for the heads up yesterday Dave!

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #182 of 1,506
Are you using the P7 amped? If not what are you using for the source?

I've tried them with two amps and they rock on both.

Yep...got mine today as well. So far, so good. Very impressive headphones.

Thanks for the heads up yesterday Dave!

My pleasure Peter. Aren't they awesome?
smile.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #183 of 1,506
I must admit these headphones have caught my attention, any1 seen any measurements yet? I suppose they should be shortly available on Innerfidelity though, my only concern would be whether the bass quantity would satisfy me or not (I'm a basshead and would be using with digiZoid amp that has 32-level of adjustment), the rest described here sounds very appealing though. 

However the most important characteristics in the bass would be that it's of the punchy snappy hard hitting type and not just soft slow rumbling, the digiZoid boosts the subbass range nicely so. :p For me it's really important to have a balanced presence of subbass vs midbass for the music I'm listening to.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #184 of 1,506
I think they sound better than the B&W P5 and the Sennheiser Momentus, so B&W did a great job regarding sound quality. However I feel it's below the sound quality of IEM in similar price range. These headphones are not comfortable at all also. 

I don't think these will replace my IEM.

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #185 of 1,506

Right off the bat, the sound improves just from not being filtered through rubber/fake leather, or whatever material the P3 and P5 use to cover the drivers. Now there is just a thin layer of cloth.

If I could use an analogy, I find the change (from the P3 and P5)  similar to when Grado introduced the bowl pads which replaced the flat pads. The bass got tighter and the soundstage opened up. The big difference is that, unlike the Grados, the top end remains warm and clean, and lacks any sort of sibilance and brightness problems. What I am finding with the P7 is the bass is present for sure, but in a good way...kick drums kick, electric bass throbs, things residing in that range have power and dynamics. And unlike the Momentum, for example, the P7 is alive and kicking in the midrange as well. It's like a Sony MDR-1R with some good kick and presence in the bottom. But with much better midrange accuracy and timbre.

Perfect description. These are really good. A step change for B and W from what I remember of the other models.

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #186 of 1,506
Yup, still loving the way these sound. The bass response is quite good. Today I'm giving these a marathon comfort test. Have been wearing them for nearly 2 hours straight now, will try to make it to 5-6 hours and see how my ears feel :) I really don't want to have to return these because of comfort issues (I would be so disappointed), so am gonna give them one last shot.

I usually will not be wearing them that long, usually about 2 hours tops of uninterrupted listening, but when I travel by plane I like to be able to wear 'm during almost the entire flight, and since I usually fly intercontinental, that means at least 8 hr flights for me.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #187 of 1,506
I used the Momentums during a 8 hour flight. Couldn't take them more than a couple hours at a time. Because they touch my ears slightly they gradually became more and more irritated. The P7 don't touch my ears at all, so I think they'd do much better. The headband padding is a bit thin, but it hasn't been a problem for me during longer sessions so far.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #188 of 1,506
  I think they sound better than the B&W P5 and the Sennheiser Momentus, so B&W did a great job regarding sound quality. However I feel it's below the sound quality of IEM in similar price range. These headphones are not comfortable at all also. 

I don't think these will replace my IEM.

Can you give us a little more detail on the comfort issue you experienced? I'm going to my local Apple Store today and I'm going to try to sweet talk them into letting me try P7 headphones. I know others have reported that their Apple Store would not allow a demo. I'm not sure about their return policy if purchased. But I bet there is a restocking fee.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #189 of 1,506
For those of you experiencing high clamping pressure, stretching the headband just a little bit should significantly loosen it up. Helped for me, the clamping pressure is just right, enough to isolate outside noise, but not enough to hurt my skull :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #190 of 1,506
I'm using them as they were out of box without bending the headband, and maybe I'm just used to headphones with high clamping pressure but they're just fine for me. The pressure seems well distributed. Not like the LCD-2 for example where they seem to add more force to the front of the pads than the rear.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #191 of 1,506
  I used the Momentums during a 8 hour flight. Couldn't take them more than a couple hours at a time. Because they touch my ears slightly they gradually became more and more irritated. The P7 don't touch my ears at all, so I think they'd do much better. The headband padding is a bit thin, but it hasn't been a problem for me during longer sessions so far.

I couldn't handle the Momentums either, hence why I returned them. The P7's earpads are larger than the Momentum, but still not larger than my ears. But so far going 3 hours straight without any significant discomfort, so maybe I had them positioned weird the other day.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #192 of 1,506
I find the earpads and clamping force on the P7s to be quite good. The problem for me is the rather small and firm headband, which distributes the weight of the headphones over a small area. I much prefer the headband of the Momentums. Unfortunately, the earpads of the Momentums are too small. So I'm still searching for the perferct combination of sound quality, isolation, comfort and looks. Maybe the AKG 545 will meet all requirements?!

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #193 of 1,506
  I find the earpads and clamping force on the P7s to be quite good. The problem for me is the rather small and firm headband, which distributes the weight of the headphones over a small area. I much prefer the headband of the Momentums. Unfortunately, the earpads of the Momentums are too small. So I'm still searching for the perferct combination of sound quality, isolation, comfort and looks. Maybe the AKG 545 will meet all requirements?!

I'm wondering the same thing RE: the AKG 545. It's still not available here in the Netherlands, but a few stores are saying they should have it soon. Would like to give them a try.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #194 of 1,506
So after wearing them (the P7) now for approx. 5-6 hours, the comfort isn't too bad. I can definitely feel the headband though, had to shift that around a few times to relieve the pressure on my head. My ears aren't complaining too much though, but can still feel it a little bit on my left ear. Might do another long listening/comfort test tomorrow, but for today just a few more short spans, as I want to give my ears a break either way. And I'm sure there will be a more comfortable headphone out there, but today these have been much less annoying than how I experienced the Momentum and M500.

Still not sure if I'll keep them though, I want the perfect headphone of which comfort is almost 50% as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #195 of 1,506
I hit the Apple Store on the way home. Wow that place is busy at 2:00 p.m. I couldn't get a test drive. They said they were too new to put out. I wonder what that means? There is not enough of them in stock to squander them on tire kickers I guess. I thought maybe mentioning Head-Fi and flashing the P5 headphones might convince them I was serious.

I ended up purchasing them with a 14 day return. Fair enough. I can't wait to compare them with my P5's, and of course check them out for comfort and sound.Maybe the P5 will be up for sale? I still have a soft spot in my heart for them. They look so good and are compact for travel. Though the quilted bag earned me some ribbing from my friends. I told them my mother made the case :wink:

I'll take some pics and post some early impressions this weekend. I don't have time this evening. I won't promise I'm the best reviewer but I'll answer an questions after giving some impressions. I'm going to use them with my iPhone 5, iPad 2 (amped and without amp.), and my desktop setup with AIFF files.

I did check the the B&O headphones for a longer period of time than last weekend. It was pretty noisy in the Apple Store. Frankly it is hard to demo headphones in there due to noise, but I would say they didn't block out as much noise as my P5 headphones.

I have a smallish head and ears. The headband didn't touch the top of my head even at the most compressed setting on the cans. This for me wasn't a bad deal as like I said the B&O headphones were very comfortable. From what I could tell the B&O's are very polite compared to the P5. I'm not sure I liked the low end, but maybe a longer term test would change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back