Bowers & Wilkins P5 portable (ProAudio Monitors) Review
May 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #46 of 59
Well, in this thread, I don't think anyone called him a fanboy. They just wanted to know if he's compared the P5 to anything else in that price range.

And they're not fools. They, like a lot of people who visit head-fi, just want to know if they're a good deal. It's part of their hobby to discuss such things. From gorgonmusic's description, one would think he just heard something from the high-end forum.

May 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #55 of 59
How do you think these would do running off of a Sansa Clipi no amp? I demoed at the apple store running off of a nano and thought it sounded pretty good but I don't have much under my belt to compare it with. I have had HD238 which I though sounded good but needed to be turned way up with my Clip, almost to the max. Then I tried some Dr. Dre Studio Beats and thought they sounded muddy. Porta Pro's sounded good but was hooked up to an amped source at Best Buy. The porta pros sounded good but again they were amped...I tried to get the porta pros on an unamped source but they wouldnt let me? So I am wondering if these would sound good unamped on a clip or would they need to be turned up to the max like the HD238's.

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #59 of 59

Quote:
 ....guys stop bringing beats in here. there isn't some fancy celebrity tagged to the P5s. to be relevant i expected someone to bring in B&O or Bose instead.

In my opinion the P5s beat the B&O Form 2 hands down. The P5s are far more comfortable, I suspect they will last longer as well (the foam pads on all B&O headphones wear badly) and the sound is better. I found the Form 2s had a very strong midrange with little else, the P5s have a better overall sound through out the frequency range. However, the Form 2s are £100, so less than half the price. But money no object, I would prefer the P5s.

It is much closer between Bose and the P5s sound wise at least IMO. I like the Bose sound and I understand many do not, but I have spent time with the on and around ear Bose headphones that sell for half (or less) the price that the P5s do. But the P5s make that back by using far higher quality build material. I suppose the best comparison is with the QC-15, which i have only demoed for a short time and I would go with the P5s, but for build not sound.  

As for the Beats, I tried them recently as well and at £25 more than the P5s, they were shockingly bad IMO. I do not see anything design, build (similar to Shures for much less) or sound that justifies that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back