Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,546 of 2,023
So the lightning cable can't be used with the P7 (wired)?

I don't know if it would fit, but even if it does, it was tuned specifically for the P9. Who knows how it would sound if used with the P7. Would be interesting though.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,547 of 2,023
I’ll be honest: I cheekily ordered 2 and got a confirmation email that confirmed as much. And I received just one today — haha.

It’s been sold though as I don’t have the P9 any more. But if it really does tighten up the bass that would be great for owners.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,548 of 2,023
I am listening to Apple Lossless files on an iPhone 5 and I just finished ABing my P9's between the standard cable and the lightning cable and the sound improvement is small. I feel that the lighting cable gives the sound a slightly fuller sound but it isn't a great big difference. It's a little disappointing given how long we waited for this cable to arrive but I've read that DACs today are so good that there isn't much that can be done to improve sound. Maybe if the P9's needed the extra power that comes from the lightning connection I would hear a bigger difference. I listen to these headphones at 50% or less in volume, maybe there would be a bigger difference at higher sound levels but I don't listen to music that loudly so it's a moot point for me. So while I'm disappointed that I'm not blown away, I still love the sound coming from the P9's, always have.

Earlier in this thread at least one person was saying that the P9's only sounded slightly better than the P7W's and then I listened to the P7W's and they sounded thin, wimpy, and lacking details compared to the P9's.

I also think it's crazy that people spend hundreds of dollars on cables.

So what this experience has taught me is that confirmation bias plays a huge role in these forums and that you have trust your ears and be careful about falling prey to the latest flavor of the month.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,549 of 2,023
I don’t have the P9 anymore to test out but I did find it benefits from a good amp (desk top or portable) despite being easy to drive. I think you’ll hear more of a difference with an amp than switching between the lightning cable and the standard cable. Perhaps even the DragonFly Red or Black would even offer some appreciable benefits.

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,550 of 2,023
Oh dude! Can you share a little bit about your impressions of P9-Lightning vs PX Wireless sound? How much driver tech do you think carried over? How does the lightning perform with the PX?

Ok. I spend most of Friday rotating between the P9 (w/Lightening cable) and the PX (Bluetooth). I used both my iPad 10.5 and iPhone 8+. BTW I always thought my iPad sounded a little better with my cabled headphones.

Yes, the P9 does sound much better with the new cable as opposed to the straight cable from an iOS device. No surprise there, but if you have a P9 and no alternative portable DAC/Amp. then get your hands on the Lightening cable! It makes a nice package and makes me want to use it on trips (assuming I don't have to deal with a lot of background noise).

My impressions are that the P9 has better deeper/broader bass representation. I'm not a bass head. But when a song was full of bass, you did hear it with good clarity and authority. Bass was not unfairly represented on the P9, but it did make my earlobes tingle :wink: On the P9 I don't hear a matching reverb of instruments on the PX. I may have mentioned before but overtime I did not like the "V" shaped sound of the cabled P7. Neither the P9 or the PX exhibit that IMHO.

Others have noted the sound stage is good on the P9 and I agree. The PX's soundstage is more narrow. I don't know how to fully describe it but the music on the PX seems a little more distant and closed in. I tried to make sure that volume output generally matched, but that was by ear only.

One thing I didn't do Friday was test out the P9 at a coffee shop, or noisy environment like I have with he PX. Sorry, I didn't leave the house. I'll give that a try later in the week, but I'll still have my trusty PX by my side. It is amazing how noisy coffee shops can get with jacked up music and people talking over each other. I know, I shouldn't expect library quiet. So the PX nicely solves that. Being able to adjust the noise reduction is nice. I can sit in my office, hear knocks on the door, or even take calls with my work phone transferred to my iPhone. I've got the Zeppelin in my office, but frankly have to keep the sound so low it does not do speaker system justice.

Don't get me wrong. The PX is still my go to headphones out of the house. Cables really get in my way when on the move, or even sitting down in the coffee shop or restaurant.

I would like to add that recently, after the B&W app. update (not the one with a firmware update, that came before) my BT connectivity has been more problematic of late if music or Apple TV is paused. The PX just drop the BT connection. I have reset the app. and deleted and restored connections to my iOS devices. Note, not at all sure what the app. does for the P9 (future firmware upgrades?) I have turned off the wear sensor. Same recent problems. I'll be patient, and maybe send them in for service if this keeps up.

I'm not sure it is fair to do a comparison between the P9 and the PX considering Bluetooth vs. Lightening cable, and/or price for that matter. I suppose that is a dilemma for those looking for the "Holy Grail" of headphones. It all depends what your priorities and listening environment. Hope this helps. Feel free to add your impressions of the PX vs. the P9.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,552 of 2,023
Everyone keeps referring to this new cable as a DAC, but it’s not a DAC, it’s a CABLE. The DAC is in the phone, same as it is when you use the original 3.5 mm cable and Apple’s Lightning to 3.5 adapter. Everyone who’s claiming to hear a difference between the two cables is a victim of ignorance and confirmation bias.

It says right on B&W site that it has a dac and amp built in.

This copied word for word off the site:

A bespoke Lightning cable with a built in DAC and amplifier designed for superior audio quality. Includes a compatible remote for Apple iPhone 5 and upwards and iPad. For P9 Signature headphones only.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,553 of 2,023
Everyone keeps referring to this new cable as a DAC, but it’s not a DAC, it’s a CABLE. The DAC is in the phone, same as it is when you use the original 3.5 mm cable and Apple’s Lightning to 3.5 adapter. Everyone who’s claiming to hear a difference between the two cables is a victim of ignorance and confirmation bias.

The Lightning cable from Apple does have a DAC. Tear downs have shown it

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,555 of 2,023
There was quite a discussion when the iPhone 7 came out. The question was whether the lightning port had a analog audio signal and the Apple supplied lightning to headphone converter outputs that. Tear downs of the adapter however confirmed that it actually had a dac.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,556 of 2,023
I have just received the P9 lighting cable today in Singapore. And I actually connected to P5 Wireless which it work and it sound quite different from its wireless mode and also from the default cable. The lighting cable sound produced more clarity and spacious with better separation. However, I have yet to test it on P7 and P9 yet. Anyway, I will post my brief impression after I have test it with them when I am home tonight.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,557 of 2,023
Bought my headphones last year but only just registered them, does this mean I am not eligible for the free cable? I cannot even find where to actually tell them I want it? Is it only for people who received email with an ordering link?

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,558 of 2,023
Anybody have experience with both p9 and oppo pm1/2?

Is the p9 v shaped like the p7 wireless?

Im enjoying the p7 wireless with my hiby R6 but am considering a new headphone.

Looking into the hifiman sundara/hd660s/p9/pm1/2...

Looking mainly for mids clarity and vocal quality

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,559 of 2,023
Bought my headphones last year but only just registered them, does this mean I am not eligible for the free cable? I cannot even find where to actually tell them I want it? Is it only for people who received email with an ordering link?

Yes, the only way to get it for free was via the email sent out to people who had registered their P9 prior to the release of the lighning cable. You may want to call or email B&W and explain your situation. I'm sure they'll ask to see proof of purchase. If you can provide it, and it shows that you bought your P9 from an authorized seller prior to the release of the cable, then I think they'd probably send you the cable.

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,560 of 2,023
Anybody have experience with both p9 and oppo pm1/2?

Is the p9 v shaped like the p7 wireless?

Im enjoying the p7 wireless with my hiby R6 but am considering a new headphone.

Looking into the hifiman sundara/hd660s/p9/pm1/2...

Looking mainly for mids clarity and vocal quality

No, the P9 doesn't have a v shaped signature. Bass is a bit more present, has more impact, and is tighter, deeper, and more detailed vs the P7W, but the mids do not take a back seat. To my ears, the P9 mids are very much neutral. They're also detailed and rich (not thin sounding), and have a lovely, realistic tonality.

I like my P9 better than the HD660's that I auditioned off of a Mojo. To me, the P9 sounded more detailed, with better separation and imaging. They also have a wider soundstage, which is amazing, considering that the P9 is closed. The HD660 sounded dull and somewhat lifeless in comparison...like it was rolled off on both ends. I haven't listened to the other headphones that you mentioned, but I imagine the Sundara will have an airier sound, in exchange for having absolutely zero isolation.

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back