Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 11, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #556 of 2,022
Scaling is one thing, but I suspect these might need either a significant amount of burn in, or a very specific set of source equipments.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #557 of 2,022
  I tried out the P9 today.

I don't get what's all the fuss about.
For the price, it sucks..... so far.

Can anyone say something like "omg after 10,000 hours burn-in, it opened up like a spring blossom while being hit by a single ray of morning sunlight and now I need to replace my underwear"  ? anyone?

What is it that you don't like about them?

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #558 of 2,022
  I tried out the P9 today.

I don't get what's all the fuss about.
For the price, it sucks..... so far.

Can anyone say something like "omg after 10,000 hours burn-in, it opened up like a spring blossom while being hit by a single ray of morning sunlight and now I need to replace my underwear"  ? anyone?

What is it that you don't like about them?

Compared to other headphones in the $200-1000+  range it just sounded very congested in the bass. Very bloated.
Also the midrange was VERY honky and cavernous sounding... simply not deserving of the price tag.

And I mean cavernous like I'm DEFINITELY listening to a closed-back headphone kind of sound, and it's being choked up somewhere, maybe with a peak in the 500-2000Khz range.

The last time I felt this way about a headphone regarding the bass (not the mids and closed-sound) was the Nighthawk, but people were very quick to comment that it was normal, and these kind of drivers absolutely needed some burn in to clear up, after which they would sound smooth and not bloated at all.
From what I gather, the P9 also has a kind of 'suspension' or 'surround' on the diaphragm similar to the Nighthawk, so now I'm wondering if someone has experienced something similar.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #559 of 2,022
  Compared to other headphones in the $200-1000+  range it just sounded very congested in the bass. Very bloated.
Also the midrange was VERY honky and cavernous sounding... simply not deserving of the price tag.

And I mean cavernous like I'm DEFINITELY listening to a closed-back headphone kind of sound, and it's being choked up somewhere, maybe with a peak in the 500-2000Khz range.

The last time I felt this way about a headphone regarding the bass (not the mids and closed-sound) was the Nighthawk, but people were very quick to comment that it was normal, and these kind of drivers absolutely needed some burn in to clear up, after which they would sound smooth and not bloated at all.
From what I gather, the P9 also has a kind of 'suspension' or 'surround' on the diaphragm similar to the Nighthawk, so I was wondering if someone has experienced something similar.

I've only heard the p5. Wasn't really overly impressed. I do have soft spot for the B&W bookshelf speakers so that's a little disappointing to hear. I hope i get a chance to demo them one time.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #560 of 2,022

I've only heard the p5. Wasn't really overly impressed. I do have soft spot for the B&W bookshelf speakers so that's a little disappointing to hear. I hope i get a chance to demo them one time.

I know I very much like the P7 wireless, but that is of course half the price, less than half the price actually. I didn't like the P5 wireless when I listened to it at the same shop where I heard the P9 and purchased my P7 from. I thought the P7 was considerably better than the P5 and pretty darn similar to the P9. I did find the P9 had a very nice mid-range and I didn't notice any honkiness myself.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #561 of 2,022
I know I very much like the P7 wireless, but that is of course half the price, less than half the price actually. I didn't like the P5 wireless when I listened to it at the same shop where I heard the P9 and purchased my P7 from. I thought the P7 was considerably better than the P5 and pretty darn similar to the P9. I did find the P9 had a very nice mid-range and I didn't notice any honkiness myself.

Which one of the three has the most upfront mids and upper mids? (2-4khz region)

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #562 of 2,022
Which one of the three has the most upfront mids and upper mids? (2-4khz region)

I can't be certain, but my memory would suggest it was the P9. I thought the mid-range was very nice. The P9 and P7 are very similar, but the mids on the P9 are smoother and more liquid as was the treble I thought. They both share the same bass signature which seems to have been polarizing with the P9, but not so with the P7.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #563 of 2,022
  I can't be certain, but my memory would suggest it was the P9. I thought the mid-range was very nice. The P9 and P7 are very similar, but the mids on the P9 are smoother and more liquid as was the treble I thought. They both share the same bass signature which seems to have been polarizing with the P9, but not so with the P7.

Thanks for your feedback, midrange is the most important frequency of a headphone to me. I can't afford a p9 and the bass quantity seems to be a bit too much for me though so I think I may consider one after its out for quite a while and gets a price drop

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #564 of 2,022
  Thanks for your feedback, midrange is the most important frequency of a headphone to me. I can't afford a p9 and the bass quantity seems to be a bit too much for me though so I think I may consider one after its out for quite a while and gets a price drop

The P7 is also really worth trying. If you are comfortable doing so, I highly recommend ordering from Amazon as the return policy allows you to try and see. I personally feel the P7 is rather close to the P9, plus, you get awesome Bluetooth quality, and the possibility to go wired when desired.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #565 of 2,022
  The P7 is also really worth trying. If you are comfortable doing so, I highly recommend ordering from Amazon as the return policy allows you to try and see. I personally feel the P7 is rather close to the P9, plus, you get awesome Bluetooth quality, and the possibility to go wired when desired.

I don't know if it makes sense if I put it this way, but basically I don't really like buying midrange headphones unless they are proven time and time again to offer amazing value for the money. If I am to buy a headphone from a brand I don't know that much, I basically just want to go all out and get the top end model to get an idea of their sound as I don't want to invest time and money on upgrading for a brand I do not know very well, and I understand that they probably don't have a huge sound difference but my mind will not be satisfied unless I hear the top end sooner or later. I did this with the beyerdynamic t1 where it was my first and probably last beyerdynamic full sized headphone I own rather than going from dt880 > t90 > t1. I did it with hifiman too where I have not listened to the he400, he500, he400i and just went for the he560 because I know I would want to hear it sooner or later.
The only brand I'm comfortable with purchasing headphones of any price range in any order is basically AKG, yes I know I'm biased.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #566 of 2,022
  I don't know if it makes sense if I put it this way, but basically I don't really like buying midrange headphones unless they are proven time and time again to offer amazing value for the money. If I am to buy a headphone from a brand I don't know that much, I basically just want to go all out and get the top end model to get an idea of their sound as I don't want to invest time and money on upgrading for a brand I do not know very well, and I understand that they probably don't have a huge sound difference but my mind will not be satisfied unless I hear the top end sooner or later. I did this with the beyerdynamic t1 where it was my first and probably last beyerdynamic full sized headphone I own rather than going from dt880 > t90 > t1. I did it with hifiman too where I have not listened to the he400, he500, he400i and just went for the he560 because I know I would want to hear it sooner or later.
The only brand I'm comfortable with purchasing headphones of any price range in any order is basically AKG, yes I know I'm biased.

Yikes, that is an expensive mindset you have there my friend. Hopefully it works out for you. If you visit the P7 wireless thread you will see it is indeed quite well received. I suspect the drivers are fairly similar, and as I said, based on listening they sure seemed similar to me. Still, if you are set on this method why not just order the P9 and try it? You have a 60 day return from B&W so what do you have to lose?

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #567 of 2,022
  Yikes, that is an expensive mindset you have there my friend. Hopefully it works out for you. If you visit the P7 wireless thread you will see it is indeed quite well received. I suspect the drivers are fairly similar, and as I said, based on listening they sure seemed similar to me. Still, if you are set on this method why not just order the P9 and try it? You have a 60 day return from B&W so what do you have to lose?

Yes, you only need to see my empty wallet and you would understand everything about my headphone hobby. I heard amazon can terminate an account if you keep buying a product just to return it, so I don't want to end up being "that guy" who tries all the headphones out there and ends up returning all of them just to get his amazon account terminated. I might try it with 1 or 2 headphones

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #568 of 2,022
Yes, you only need to see my empty wallet and you would understand everything about my headphone hobby. I heard amazon can terminate an account if you keep buying a product just to return it, so I don't want to end up being "that guy" who tries all the headphones out there and ends up returning all of them just to get his amazon account terminated. I might try it with 1 or 2 headphones

Not Amazon, but direct through B&W.

I feel you about just going top of the line and not spending time and money buying headphones that you'll just end up selling later and researching more headphones.

It's repeated here pretty often that after $300-$400 you reach the point of diminishing returns. Headphones can get a lot for expensive and only a little bit better.

So it shouldn't be surprising that the P7's have most of the sound of the P9's.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #569 of 2,022
Not Amazon, but direct through B&W.

I feel you about just going top of the line and not spending time and money buying headphones that you'll just end up selling later and researching more headphones.

It's repeated here pretty often that after $300-$400 you reach the point of diminishing returns. Headphones can get a lot for expensive and only a little bit better.

So it shouldn't be surprising that the P7's have most of the sound of the P9's.

Good idea, so if I am interested in any headphone, technically I can just buy them directly from the site to test and never have a problem with money unless I end up falling in love with them. 
I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only person who thinks like that, but of course knowing a flagship won't be dramatically better won't change my mind on wanting them or else I wouldn't have this hobby... unless it is a case where the lower end model receives a better reputation (like how the less expensive hd600 was generally considered the better one from the 600 line)

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #570 of 2,022
  Good idea, so if I am interested in any headphone, technically I can just buy them directly from the site to test and never have a problem with money unless I end up falling in love with them. 
I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only person who thinks like that, but of course knowing a flagship won't be dramatically better won't change my mind on wanting them or else I wouldn't have this hobby... unless it is a case where the lower end model receives a better reputation (like how the less expensive hd600 was generally considered the better one from the 600 line)

Yes indeed, the companies want you to get them in your hands so take advantage of the return options. Great way to try and see. I used to not take advantage of this, but now I realise at the prices modern headphones are selling for, we need to have the ability to return things if needed without getting killed on fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back