Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #541 of 2,023
  No worries mate, it is always fine to be honest and your post, and the fact that another member messaged me saying essentially the same thing, was helpful as it made me look at the situation from the perspective of those who had shelled out some serious cash for the P9. I stand by what I said; however, I don't think I needed to say things quite as often as I did so for what that is worth there it is. I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot I may have been a little irked.

Evaluating the price is tough.

As someone who had been desperately waiting for a Lightning MFi solution but didn't like the Audeze or Philips options, B&W has me over a barrel at this point.  But I do look forward to getting that DAC and giving it a go.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #542 of 2,023
Evaluating the price is tough.

As someone who had been desperately waiting for a Lightning MFi solution but didn't like the Audeze or Philips options, B&W has me over a barrel at this point.  But I do look forward to getting that DAC and giving it a go.

That is my hope too. I'm still waiting on a final verdict until I get a chance to hear it with their own DAC cable. If it tames the mid bass hump, I'll rebuy it.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #543 of 2,023
Definitely sounds like dac/amp combo would immensely benefit you. My own experience with the P9's is they absolutely need to be driven properly and a standard phone or laptop is not going to cut it.

It's funny you mention the fact speech is barely audible - when I first bought a pair of high end full size speakers two years ago, these were paired with a wrong (not underpowered as such, volume was fine) amplifier. Music sounded unmusical and a banged up mess. But more important for this discussion: I suddenly noticed I needed to switch on subtitles for all the movies I watched. Speech had become impossible to understand in some weird, bizarre way. After replacing the amplifier everything became crystal clear again.

I probably would benefit from a better dac/amp. I'm still trying to decide what to buy. For the meantime I'm going to wait for the cable from Bower and Wilkins and then I'll have a better idea of what type of benefits a better dac/amp will give me.

Hopefully other members will compare the cable to other dac/amps like the chord mojo so I'll have a better idea what types of improvements I'll be able to expect.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #544 of 2,023
Acquired taste for sure. Took me a little while to start appreciating them. Overpriced but still worth it to me all things considered.

Pushing the pads backwards a bit helped reduce the bass boominess, which also made it a bit more comfortable to wear with glasses. For my ears, the earpad opening is large enough to be able to adjust placement without issue or ear discomfort.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #545 of 2,023
An interesting development... There might be a reason why the comments on these cans are sometimes so discrepant. For obscure reasons I won't go into, I had to return my first pair, and re-ordered them recently (the 630€/560£ Amazon deal was among others too good to pass up). On the newest pair, the mid-bass bump is nowhere near as pronounced as it was in the first one. And it's not brain-burn-in either. Some songs I simply just couldn't listen to, or at least enjoy, on the first pair play way nicer on the new one.

So, production inconsistency might also be at play here.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #548 of 2,023
You may be right but I would be very wary of comparing headphones from memory. Hopefully someone can compare two sets side by side.

I have to agree, auditory memory is well demonstrated by solid research to be rather inaccurate when looking at complex comparisons. Still, it is quite possible, but such differences would suggest very poor quality control and if so hopefully it wouldn't be widespread.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #549 of 2,023
Yeah, well, I know what I'm hearing now, and it doesn't make me cringe like the first pair did.
Other than that I didn't say it was night and day, but the mid-bass bump is less pronounced enough so that what was unpleasant to listen to before (tracks I know quite well) isn't now. The bump is still there, though.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #550 of 2,023
You guys aren't helping me. Someone says they're bad for the price, you need an amp, you don't need an amp, they're amazing etc. Did you try them straight from a phone?

Bowers & Wilkins will be providing a bespoke DAC and amplifier free to all purchasers.  The DAC/Amp is designed specifically for iOS devices with Lightning ports. 

And I think it goes without saying that most decent DACs/Amps will improve the sound produced by an iPhone 6s, a device that may very well by augmenting the midrange hump, compounding a trait that may also be designed into the P9s as they are a Made For iPhone device, and therefore a portable device for use out in the world in my view.

I know the size and leakage make these less appropriate for some a portable soundstage, but of course, they're free to use other devices.

I love my P9s, and can't wait for what I expect will be the vast improvement afforded by the DAC/Amp/Lightning chain.

Will there be a P9 DAC/Amp as an option to the P9 or included with the P9?
Is it like the Audeze Titanium which has a built in Dac/Amp in the headphone cable which terminates to a iPhone lightning port?

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #551 of 2,023
Is it like the Audeze Titanium which has a built in Dac/Amp in the headphone cable which terminates to a iPhone lightning port?

Yes.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #552 of 2,023
Yeah, well, I know what I'm hearing now, and it doesn't make me cringe like the first pair did.
Other than that I didn't say it was night and day, but the mid-bass bump is less pronounced enough so that what was unpleasant to listen to before (tracks I know quite well) isn't now. The bump is still there, though.

I feel the same way about my existing pair. The brain burn in happened after not listening to the headphones for a day or two. If someone told me they were a different pair I may have believed it. I didn't leave them plugged in playing sound trying to burn them in either so I know it's just me.

You may be right but it's important to remember that human memory is very finicky.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #553 of 2,023
Unfortunately, I'm not blown away by the P9. I made the mistake of not trying before buying and made the choice of buying based on the majority of positive opinions and reviews, purely coz demo units weren't available for me to audition.

I've done my listening tests with iPhone 6 Plus, iRiver Clix (aka U10 in some parts of the world), and HTC 10. Didn't bother with dedicated external amps coz this HP is meant for portable use and introducing an amp in my opinion hinders the entire concept and convenience of portability.

Don't get me wrong, the P9 is awesome. It's almost jewelry and a thing of beauty and exceptional quality. I do not regret buying it, but to me it's not worth twice as much as a P7. For an example, the jump from a P5 to a P7 in SQ was quite substantial IMO for not that much of a substantial price hike in comparison to the price hike from a P7 to a P9. The price hike from a P7 to a P9 does not necessarily reflect the same level of sound quality improvements that the P7 brought over the P5 IMO, unfortunately.

To me, P9 = P7 + bigger/heavier cans + slightly more comfortable to wear + slightly better mids + slightly more detailed highs and slightly better channel separation which results in slightly better sound stage. But the price is not "Slightly" more. it's considerably more. In fact, it's more than twice as much here in Aus (P7 RRP is AUD $499, P9 is AUD $1399).

As usual, the build quality, attention to detail and material quality is impeccable of the headphones. For the money that they make us part with for this set, B&W honestly could have done a better job with the cable IMHO. But overall it's probably the best built over ear HPs I've ever owned, followed closely by the P7 and Beyerdynamic T1. Awesome levels of sub bass as well, when the track calls for it of course. Re: Sub bass: The iPhone seems to roll of sub bass quite a lot, so it's almost non-existent. Not the case with the iriver or htc 10 :wink: The bass/sub bass doesn't drown out the rest of the sound spectrum either, which is impressive :)

Oh, and yes, it leaks sound. At very comfortable listening levels (between 40 - 50% volume with an iPhone 6 plus), if you are in a quiet room (eg:library), ppl sitting very close to you (within a couple of feet) may hear what you are listening to. If you are in public transport or other generally noisy environments, ppl will still hear music, but they may not be able to clearly make out what your are listening to. If you are listening to music around 50% in an iPhone 6 plus, you will not notice general background noise or others conversing, unless it's loud like a door slam or your loved ones or friends at work speak out louder, trying to get your attention.

There is no DAC (lightning to 3.5mm) in the box for the iPhone 7/7+. The manual clearly states the this headset is designed for ios devices, and mentions every ios device bar the iPhone 7 and 7 plus. The DAC is supposed to be available in the box from next year. For those of us who have already bought it, B&W is meant to ship one to us in 2017 via the local distributors (according to the re-seller that i purchased from) if you have registered the product via the B&W website.

Again and finally, if you have lots of cash, and want nothing but the best B&W headphones, then the P9's are for you. But if you are looking for value for $$$, the P7 or the P7 wireless are an absolute bargain. I honestly believe the P7/P7 wireless are 80-90% already there in SQ, for less than 50% the price tag.

Hope this helps your buying decision :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #554 of 2,023
I tried out the P9 today.

I don't get what's all the fuss about.
For the price, it sucks..... so far.

Can anyone say something like "omg after 10,000 hours burn-in, it opened up like a spring blossom while being hit by a single ray of morning sunlight and now I need to replace my underwear"  ? anyone?

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #555 of 2,023
Well, I highly suspect that the B&W P9 scales on good equipment. But I doubt B&W will borrow me the P9 so I can test it out on the Chord Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back