Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #1,441 of 2,022
That's right! :slight_smile:

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,442 of 2,022
I’m actually quite surprised about all this fuss about the Lightning cable. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an Apple man through and through, but as I’ve moved through the gears of this head-fi hobby (V-Moda to B&W to Fostex and now Audeze and soon ZMF), if I’ve learned one thing it’s that you don’t want to be driving anything but possibly sensitive IEMs or BT headphones for casual listening from an iPhone. Even a basic DAP like the Cayin N3 or one of the Shanling or Fiio variants is streets ahead of an iPhone in terms of SQ, power, format support... I guess I just don’t see the point of investing so much in outstanding (and expensive) headphones like the P9 and then kicking the dust because you can’t use them with your iPhone. Aside from convenience, why would you want to waste all that headphone power on a sub-optimal source? And like I said, my iPhone is my life, but life’s too short to listen to crappy music... (and I don’t mean music choices either).

Well I’m not one that is deep into this hobby. The P9’s are my personal flagship headphones. I see a lot of flavor of the months and a lot of things that seem like nonsense to me like burning in a cable. Headphone burn in also sounds dubious to me, including the fact that burn in only improves sound quality, why doesn’t it ever decrease sound quality? So because of that I haven’t invested in a separate dac/amp. I’m waiting to receive this cable to give me a taste of what an improved sound experience might be like. I specifically bought the P9’s because they are easy to drive.

For now I’ll continue to listen and enjoy music through my Surface Pro 4.

If this cable really gives a noticeable sound boost to my listening experience then I’ll be interested in upgrading my dac/amp but I have my reservations on whether this cable will give anything but a modest improvement.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,443 of 2,022
I’ve bought a lot of hi res music to play through JRiver on my laptop playing through my wireless Philips DS9800W/10 speakers. After a lot of thought I bought a pair of the P9’s. what I would like to know is which would be the best setup for playing my music just to my headphones using an external headphone amp/dac that can play 192/24 hi res music? I’ve seen recommendations for the chord Mojo/ Hugo but would like some other ideas. Seen the older Teac HA-501 recommended too, but would I need an external dac to feed the Teac first to play the 192/24 hi res music?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,445 of 2,022
Almost 2018 and still no lightning cable :frowning2:
We probably just have to realize that it will never be. I mean how hard could that be making a single cable in one year! Within that time they have even produced and released new headphones........

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,446 of 2,022
We probably just have to realize that it will never be. I mean how hard could that be making a single cable in one year! Within that time they have even produced and released new headphones........
I really hate to look at this as fact but I'm starting to believe we won't ever see a cable. The P9's are great sounding headphones regardless but we were promised a lightning cable when we purchased the P9's. I for one would love to see come to fruition.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,447 of 2,022
I really hate to look at this as fact but I'm starting to believe we won't ever see a cable. The P9's are great sounding headphones regardless but we were promised a lightning cable when we purchased the P9's. I for one would love to see come to fruition.

There is a lightning cable with bespoke DAC for iPhone coming.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,448 of 2,022
There is a lightning cable with bespoke DAC for iPhone coming.
Have you gotten some kind of confirmation from B&W? I haven’t seen any news of this. Any info you can share would be great!

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,450 of 2,022
No news. Just faith.

The cable has been delayed several times now but B+W has not said anything about the cable being canceled. Someone posted earlier on this thread that the cable was completed and that B+W was waiting for Apple to approve the cable. I’ve heard that this approval process is very slow. Once it is approved it needs to be manufactured. It may be another 3-6 months but I believe it will eventually be delivered.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,451 of 2,022
Hi guys,

Just received a pair of P9's and am blown away with their sound!
However, I got them as a gift and hence do not have the original proof of purchase...
I am experiencing creaks in the earcups, even with slight head movement, that I did not expect from such a high end piece of equipment... Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you remedy it?

Thanks

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,452 of 2,022
No creaking here just great sound. The service dept is pretty good so you may find that they are not registered yet so worth giving them a try.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,453 of 2,022
Registering on the website requires serial number and not proof of purchase iirc. The copy I had didn’t creek either. I found the sound amazing except for the too heavy base, even if it was only a few dbs. It was easy to eq away but got on my nerves nevertheless. The mids and highs were gorgeous.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,454 of 2,022
Yeah I have registered the product however I won't be able to get a replacement without the receipt :disappointed:
It's more of a small click than a prolonged creek however it's driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the root of the problem!
I do agree though the sound is to die for

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,455 of 2,022
Yeah I have registered the product however I won't be able to get a replacement without the receipt :disappointed:
It's more of a small click than a prolonged creek however it's driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the root of the problem!
I do agree though the sound is to die for

I experienced creaks in the right earcup when I moved my jaw or head. Got new ones from my local dealer (they had never been introduced to that problem before). I had the receipt though..

But you can ask the guy you got the headphones from if he has some sort of a statement of account that can prove he bought the headphones from a dealer. Then maybe the dealer can write you a new receipt?
Or you can try to contact BW and ask if a statement of account can work as a receipt.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back