Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #1,336 of 2,022
I bought a second-hand set, I must say that the more I use them the more they grow on me.

I am so fortunate to have room for a good speaker set up, it produce a nice “full” sound, I think the P9 dose the same, more than any other headphones I have owned, I come from a P5/P7 Fostex th-x00 to the P9.

I listened to them some months ago in a shop, they were next to the P7 that I used to own, I think the are worth the extra prices, the P7 sounds much more “metallic” the P9 is lush and organic.

I am looking forward to the lighting cable, I have a Mojo but I do find it inconvenient to remember to charge it—I hope that the new cable will make the Mojo redundant.

I have read that come find the comfort not to good, I do not have any issues, can use them for hours without problem, the P7 was a little small for my ears, the Fostex th-x00 where to warm after some time.

The only bad thing is I do not find the to good looking, would have preferred black instead of brown…

Kind regards Morten

I agree with just about everything you said. I do wish they had a couple of different color variations...but the brown has grown on me. I think it gives the P9 a kind of retro classiness....kinda like the interior of an older luxury car.

I'm curious...how does the P9 compare to your TH-X00?

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #1,337 of 2,022
Hallo Joe,

When using the P9 I noticed things in the music I did not with the Fostex, a control listing on the Fostex did reveal that it was also present here, but it is more “masked”. It is strange as I do not find the P9 detailed and analytic, all is present in relaxed way but it is there. But otherwise they are similar in sound signature to my old ears.

I much prefer the comfort and fit of the P9, they are a little tighter on the head—stronger clamping force. But I needed to adjust the Fostex much more often when using them than the P9. I can also use the P9 lying down, the Fostex is a little too sloppy for that. As mentioned before, I also find that the my ears to not get as hot when using the P9.

I do no longer own the Fostex, they will not get any playtime when I can use the P9—I do find them superior. As a final thought the P9 sounds good from a iPad directly, the Fostex really needs an amp…

Kind regards Morten

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #1,338 of 2,022
I agree with just about everything you said. I do wish they had a couple of different color variations...but the brown has grown on me. I think it gives the P9 a kind of retro classiness....kinda like the interior of an older luxury car.

I'm curious...how does the P9 compare to your TH-X00?
I had the Fostex TH-X00 Purple Hearts but I recently sold them when I got the Denon AH-D7200's and the B&W P9's. I thought the TH-X00 PH were really good until I heard the B&W P9's. Everything just sounds bigger, more dynamic and more livelier on the P9's. The TH-X00's has good bass but the bass on the P9's is deeper, more impactful/visceral, and blends better with the rest of the headphones frequency range to my ears. I thought the TH-X00's was even more V-Shaped than the P9's. The mids on the TH-X00 is more recessed while I think the mids on P9's are only ever so slightly recessed and that's kind of nick picking. But the more I listen to the P9's the more balanced sound wise they are becoming while still sound big, I love it. The P9's are more revealing, has really good PRaT and are easier to drive. The P9's also does well with more genres of music because they are so detailed, full sounding and have excellent clarity up top.

TH-X00 PH's are good looking headphones and if I didn't have the D7200's, which also best them, I probably would still have them. But I saw no need to have the TH-900 MKII's, the D7200's, TH-X00's and the P9's. They all do similar things in the bass department but differentiate themselves in the mids, treble and overall sound presentation. But they are sound better than the TH-X00's to me. The TH-X00's are excellent mid-fi headphones. After listening to P9's I realize there is more music to be had from headphones. I would rank the P9's right behind the TH-900 MKII's as being the best closed/semi-closed head phones you can buy at the moment. The Denon's are not far behind but they seem to be reference tuned when compared to the P9's and the TH-900 MKII's. The latter two are more fun sounding and dynamic by comparison.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #1,339 of 2,022
I had the Fostex TH-X00 Purple Hearts but I recently sold them when I got the Denon AH-D7200's and the B&W P9's. I thought the TH-X00 PH were really good until I heard the B&W P9's. Everything just sounds bigger, more dynamic and more livelier on the P9's. The TH-X00's has good bass but the bass on the P9's is deeper, more impactful/visceral, and blends better with the rest of the headphones frequency range to my ears. I thought the TH-X00's was even more V-Shaped than the P9's. The mids on the TH-X00 is more recessed while I think the mids on P9's are only ever so slightly recessed and that's kind of nick picking. But the more I listen to the P9's the more balanced sound wise they are becoming while still sound big, I love it. The P9's are more revealing, has really good PRaT and are easier to drive. The P9's also does well with more genres of music because they are so detailed, full sounding and have excellent clarity up top.

TH-X00 PH's are good looking headphones and if I didn't have the D7200's, which also best them, I probably would still have them. But I saw no need to have the TH-900 MKII's, the D7200's, TH-X00's and the P9's. They all do similar things in the bass department but differentiate themselves in the mids, treble and overall sound presentation. But they are sound better than the TH-X00's to me. The TH-X00's are excellent mid-fi headphones. After listening to P9's I realize there is more music to be had from headphones. I would rank the P9's right behind the TH-900 MKII's as being the best closed/semi-closed head phones you can buy at the moment. The Denon's are not far behind but they seem to be reference tuned when compared to the P9's and the TH-900 MKII's. The latter two are more fun sounding and dynamic by comparison.
The p9 are truly extradinay I like them more then more audioquest nighthawk but the nighthawk have the advantage in comfort.

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,341 of 2,022

Good comparisons...thank you. So what does the TH-900 MKII do better than the P9?

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #1,342 of 2,022
Good comparisons...thank you. So what does the TH-900 MKII do better than the P9?
TH-900 MKII's are even more open sounding and comfortable. They have a wider soundstage and are even more dynamic sounding than the P9's. The treble has a little more detail and clarity. Some might even call it hot. But to me it adds that sparkle I like to hear in my music. The TH-900 MKII's has more sub bass rumble and has a little more impact. I can feel it more and the bass seems more textured or layered, it's hard to explain. The TH-900's are v-shaped as well but the P9's has more midrange presense. So I would say it's the more balanced headphone. Going back and forth between the two you can hear more nuances in the music on the TH-900 MKII's and that's because of the treble detail I think. They are both really good. But there is no way I'm walking out the house with the TH-900 MKII's with those beautiful cups. The P9's offer me just as musical enjoyment as theTH-900 MKII's while being more portable and less prone to scratches.

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #1,343 of 2,022
TH-900 MKII's are even more open sounding and comfortable. They have a wider soundstage and are even more dynamic sounding than the P9's. The treble has a little more detail and clarity. Some might even call it hot. But to me it adds that sparkle I like to hear in my music. The TH-900 MKII's has more sub bass rumble and has a little more impact. I can feel it more and the bass seems more textured or layered, it's hard to explain. The TH-900's are v-shaped as well but the P9's has more midrange presense. So I would say it's the more balanced headphone. Going back and forth between the two you can hear more nuances in the music on the TH-900 MKII's and that's because of the treble detail I think. They are both really good. But there is no way I'm walking out the house with the TH-900 MKII's with those beautiful cups. The P9's offer me just as musical enjoyment as theTH-900 MKII's while being more portable and less prone to scratches.

Sounds like TH-900 MKII is incredible. Based on your description, they're probably also great for movie watching.

Learning this makes me appreciate the P9's even more. A headphone that comes so close to matching, and in some areas surpasses, a headphone of the caliber of the TH-900 MKII...and yet still manages to be truly portable.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #1,344 of 2,022
Sounds like TH-900 MKII is incredible. Based on your description, they're probably also great for movie watching.

Learning this makes me appreciate the P9's even more. A headphone that comes so close to matching, and in some areas surpasses, a headphone of the caliber of the TH-900 MKII...and yet still manages to be truly portable.
Hello have you listern the p9 through Astell & Kerner AK-70 DAP and what do you think about the combo? Anybody else can feel free to pitch in as well.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,345 of 2,022
Hello have you listern the p9 through Astell & Kerner AK-70 DAP and what do you think about the combo? Anybody else can feel free to pitch in as well.

I'm afraid I haven't. But, I can give you a brief description that might help you with pairing.

The P9 is a very full sounding headphone with rich and powerful bass that still manages to be agile/fast, mids that are both buttery smooth and detailed, and detailed highs that are never piercing or sibilant.

I would pair it with sources that are either neutral or slightly bright. I would not pair it with anything warm, dark, or overly "heavy" sounding.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,347 of 2,022
Pretty soon we should be shipped with that lightning adapter and we can see how better the sound will be.
Has it been confirmed or did you get some kind of notice from B&W?

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,348 of 2,022
Has it been confirmed or did you get some kind of notice from B&W?
Well the the associate I talk said this
"Hi

When we launched the P9 Signature in October 2016, Apple announced the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack from all future iPhone models.

By virtue of the way it works, a Lightning cable is a critical component in the signal path and not just a piece of wire. It has taken us far longer than we anticipated to produce a solution which meets our exacting acoustic standards. We are now in the final stages of producing a cable which does meet this standard. We will release the cable in October and we're pleased to confirm that if you have registered your P9's, you will receive one with our compliments as promised.

Kind regards,

Bowers & Wilkins"

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,349 of 2,022
I asked them if there was going to be a sound impovement and they said this
"Hi,

As explained our technicians have taken some considerable time to develop our own cable to meet our own high acoustic standards. As such the Lightning cable should offer a marked improvement over the current adapter option available.

Kind regards

Bowers & Wilkens"

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,350 of 2,022
Well the the associate I talk said this
"Hi

When we launched the P9 Signature in October 2016, Apple announced the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack from all future iPhone models.

By virtue of the way it works, a Lightning cable is a critical component in the signal path and not just a piece of wire. It has taken us far longer than we anticipated to produce a solution which meets our exacting acoustic standards. We are now in the final stages of producing a cable which does meet this standard. We will release the cable in October and we're pleased to confirm that if you have registered your P9's, you will receive one with our compliments as promised.

Kind regards,

Bowers & Wilkins"
Sounds like they are ready to release it, finally. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back