Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Aug 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,322 of 2,022
You and me both. I don't get it. Certain people complain about the mid bass getting carried away...and some even claim it can get muddy. I heard just a hint of that when from when I first bought them when listening to poorly recorded music with very heavy handed bass, but never again once they had over 100 hours on them. The mid bass is powerful, but it does not overwhelm the mids or the highs. It is a powerful headphone, but neither the mids or highs are recessed in any way, so it is balanced.
I'm in agreement with you. There's nothing about this headphone that is recessed. You put them on and it oozes big, detailed, powerful music.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,324 of 2,022
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,326 of 2,022
The P9's are made from much better materials than the P5's. The P9 Signature uses Saffiano leather which will probably get hot but it definitely won't melt. They are great as portable cans too.

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,329 of 2,022
I think that the P9's have very good leather ambyushuras and sound.
But also I unfortunately think that inside of them the glue will also melt from the heat
Because P9's have a similar design with P5

Are you leaving your P5 in your car or somewhere else where the temperature climbs higher than 100°F/38°C? No headphone should be expected to survive unscathed for long in those conditions. I live in Texas and have worn my P9's outside plenty of times in TX summer heat with no issues.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,330 of 2,022
Regarding the leather on the P9s, the one thing I actually miss about my P5s is that soft soft leather. I thought it was wonderful stuff and while I am sure it wouldn't work on cups like the P9 has that surround the ear, the P5s sure felt good to me.

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,333 of 2,022
What does 'powerful headphone' mean? Surely it can't be balanced with nothing recessed (ie, flat) and also have extra bass or be powerful. Does it have a slightly raised mid bass?

When I say "powerful headphone", I mean to say that it is very dynamic. When you listen to musical instruments being played in person, the music they create has varying degrees of physical impact that allow you to "feel" the music.

Music heard through most quality headphones that I've owned sounded a bit lifeless in comparison. Most headphones fail miserably at reproducing this visceral impact I'm describing because of the inherent limitations of small drivers...unless they have a very overemphasized bass in relation to mids and highs. The P9 doesn't have this problem. It sounds "live" to me, if that makes sense.

Now don't get me wrong....the P9 does not have a textbook flat or clinical signature. That isn't what I meant. If you were to look at its frequency response on paper, I'm sure the bass would be at least somewhat elevated in comparison to the mids. But somehow, B&W have managed to do this without having the mids or highs take a back seat in any way. Nothing sounds recessed in any way.

This is what I was getting at. Despite the powerful bass response, the mids and highs still sound fully present.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,334 of 2,022
No. Headphones lay only in the apartment. The maximum temperature was 30 degrees Celsius

If this is truly the case, then your P5's are defective. The glue should not lose adhesion at such low temperatures...without some other sort of mishandling being involved.

If you're still within the warranty period, you should call B&W. If your warranty has already expired, you might want to send them an email with photos of your damaged headphones attached. They may still offer to help in some way.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,335 of 2,022
I bought a second-hand set, I must say that the more I use them the more they grow on me.

I am so fortunate to have room for a good speaker set up, it produce a nice “full” sound, I think the P9 dose the same, more than any other headphones I have owned, I come from a P5/P7 Fostex th-x00 to the P9.

I listened to them some months ago in a shop, they were next to the P7 that I used to own, I think the are worth the extra prices, the P7 sounds much more “metallic” the P9 is lush and organic.

I am looking forward to the lighting cable, I have a Mojo but I do find it inconvenient to remember to charge it—I hope that the new cable will make the Mojo redundant.

I have read that come find the comfort not to good, I do not have any issues, can use them for hours without problem, the P7 was a little small for my ears, the Fostex th-x00 where to warm after some time.

The only bad thing is I do not find the to good looking, would have preferred black instead of brown…

Kind regards Morten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back