Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jul 10, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #1,291 of 2,022
It is true that sounds outside of our hearing range can add to the experience, but either way, "Hi-res" or not, the P9's are better than the MDR-Z7. They are more detailed from top to bottom than the Sony's, and they have a more natural tonality. They also have a much better top end. The Sony's are quite a bit darker. The P9's image better, and they also do layering better.

The only thing I would say that the Sony's have over the P9's, without a doubt, is comfort. In that regard, they are the headphone equivalent of a nice comfy leather recliner.
Excellent I'm really liking the look of the P9's i have read that people rate the P7 wired to they say that there near identical sound what do you think. Where I bought my AK70 I tried the P9's and did like them they also had the Other ones on display so will have to go back and have a listen cheers

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,293 of 2,022
Excellent I'm really liking the look of the P9's i have read that people rate the P7 wired to they say that there near identical sound what do you think. Where I bought my AK70 I tried the P9's and did like them they also had the Other ones on display so will have to go back and have a listen cheers

It is best, since you're able to, to go back and do some more comparison listening yourself. That being said, the P9's are significantly better than the P7's in every way...except maybe looks..although that's very much a matter of taste.

The P9's are more detailed across the entire spectrum, have a more natural tonality (they sound more "real"), have a substantially wider sound stage, and are much better in regards to imaging and layering. Oh, and the cups are roomier, so they're also more comfy for people with big ears.

But, if cost is an issue, then the P7 Wireless are a very good option for the money. And yes, the P7 Wireless with wire connected sound noticeably better than the regular wired P7.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #1,294 of 2,022
Hi, I have got two questions , is the sound isolation on P9 is good can these been used in office environment with colleagues sitting next to you, also any comparison with Sony Z1R?

They isolate more than well enough for you to be happy using them in an office environment, but...depending on the volume you listen at, they may leak enough sound for your coworkers right next to you to hear.

I've not had the opportunity to listen to the Z1R's, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the P9's. So, I would hope that means they do at least some things better than the P9. Hopefully, someone else who's spent a significant amount of time listening to both of them can give you better feedback.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #1,295 of 2,022
It is best, since you're able to, to go back and do some more comparison listening yourself. That being said, the P9's are significantly better than the P7's in every way...except maybe looks..although that's very much a matter of taste.

The P9's are more detailed across the entire spectrum, have a more natural tonality (they sound more "real"), have a substantially wider sound stage, and are much better in regards to imaging and layering. Oh, and the cups are roomier, so they're also more comfy for people with big ears.

But, if cost is an issue, then the P7 Wireless are a very good option for the money. And yes, the P7 Wireless with wire connected sound noticeably better than the regular wired P7.
Hi thanks for your help the P9's are for me and the sooner I get them the better as I can't wait lol any idea on a good amp (240v) ?

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,296 of 2,022
Hi thanks for your help the P9's are for me and the sooner I get them the better as I can't wait lol any idea on a good amp (240v) ?

You're welcome. As far as amps go, it doesn't take much power to drive the P9's, so if I were you I'd focus on quality and value over power. I'd get something that is portable as well. My 2 favorites that fit those criteria and that you can buy for under $400 are the LG V20 smartphone and the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. Both contain great DACs for the money, and also happen to have built in amps that are more than powerful enough to drive anything under 250 ohms with ease.

Here's a couple of Amazon links to get you started

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D...ly+red+dac&dpPl=1&dpID=41BysaGY5KL&ref=plSrch

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...rds=Lg+v20&dpPl=1&dpID=41k1ySQb6OL&ref=plSrch

The LG V20 can also be found refurbished for around $300,and slightly used for less. I love it because it allows me to directly plug any of my headphones into it without any compromise when listening to even the highest quality music files. I can also stream Tidal HiFi. That gives me literally hundreds of thousands of HiFi quality albums, and all I have to have to listen to them in their full, lossless glory is my V20 and my P9's. No separate DAP, no separate amp or DAC. It's the most useful piece of gear that I've bought. I only wish that I had bought them before I'd spent money on several other portable amps.

One more thing...if you want the absolute best quality in a portable amp and you don't mind carrying an extra device with a bit of bulk to it or paying nearly $500, then the Chord Mojo would be what you'd want to look at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...chord+mojo&dpPl=1&dpID=51jVzlOn7QL&ref=plSrch

Regardless of which way you decide to go, I think that as long as you like its powerful, floorstanding speaker like signature, you'll be very happy with the P9.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,297 of 2,022
You're welcome. As far as amps go, it doesn't take much power to drive the P9's, so if I were you I'd focus on quality and value over power. I'd get something that is portable as well. My 2 favorites that fit those criteria and that you can buy for under $400 are the LG V20 smartphone and the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. Both contain great DACs for the money, and also happen to have built in amps that are more than powerful enough to drive anything under 250 ohms with ease.

Here's a couple of Amazon links to get you started

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D...ly+red+dac&dpPl=1&dpID=41BysaGY5KL&ref=plSrch

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...rds=Lg+v20&dpPl=1&dpID=41k1ySQb6OL&ref=plSrch

The LG V20 can also be found refurbished for around $300,and slightly used for less. I love it because it allows me to directly plug any of my headphones into it without any compromise when listening to even the highest quality music files. I can also stream Tidal HiFi. That gives me literally hundreds of thousands of HiFi quality albums, and all I have to have to listen to them in their full, lossless glory is my V20 and my P9's. No separate DAP, no separate amp or DAC. It's the most useful piece of gear that I've bought. I only wish that I had bought them before I'd spent money on several other portable amps.

One more thing...if you want the absolute best quality in a portable amp and you don't mind carrying an extra device with a bit of bulk to it or paying nearly $500, then the Chord Mojo would be what you'd want to look at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...chord+mojo&dpPl=1&dpID=51jVzlOn7QL&ref=plSrch

Regardless of which way you decide to go, I think that as long as you like its powerful, floorstanding speaker like signature, you'll be very happy with the P9.
Hi I have just bought a B&W AK70 and most people use there AK70 with the Mojo so after reading your post that's the route I'll go but first I'll get the P9's as yes I very much like to have the powerful,floorstanding speaker like signature Can't wait cheers

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,298 of 2,022
Hi I have just bought a B&W AK70 and most people use there AK70 with the Mojo so after reading your post that's the route I'll go but first I'll get the P9's as yes I very much like to have the powerful,floorstanding speaker like signature Can't wait cheers

Oh nice...the AK70 should match up nicely with the P9. You may find that you don't need a separate amp...unless you have other headphones that are difficult to drive.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,299 of 2,022
Oh nice...the AK70 should match up nicely with the P9. You may find that you don't need a separate amp...unless you have other headphones that are difficult to drive.
Oh that will be good then as I don't want to spend out lots of money if there is no need and it will be another thing to carry. I tried the P9's with the next one up from the AK70 but should sound the same.its Amazon day here today fingers crossed the P9's will be on offer

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,302 of 2,022

Attachments

• 20170605_071333.jpg
    20170605_071333.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 149891632457064966174.jpg
    149891632457064966174.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 14989164741521273797605.jpg
    14989164741521273797605.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,303 of 2,022
Excellent I would love them to come already balanced and don't know why they don't especially given the price of them. I don't think I would try the mod myself as I don't think I'm capable any more,do you think that they still beat the Z7's unbalanced? Thanks Lee

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,304 of 2,022
Excellent I would love them to come already balanced and don't know why they don't especially given the price of them. I don't think I would try the mod myself as I don't think I'm capable any more,do you think that they still beat the Z7's unbalanced? Thanks Lee

I would, I really wanted to keep the Z7's but I have too many headphones far better, but if you picked up a pair for £250 or equivalent in dollars they are definitely worth having plus they are wired for balance already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back