Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jul 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,276 of 2,022
Love the P9 for the rich and engaging musicality, but portable? Only in name I think, but for me portable means using them walking, or on public transit and the P7W I owned was already a stretch in that sense, the P9 is large and heavy so I still think of it as a home headphone. Mind you, I guess portable is anything people are comfortable wearing moving around so what do I know! Regardless the P9 is indeed a very nice signature.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,277 of 2,022
Love the P9 for the rich and engaging musicality, but portable? Only in name I think, but for me portable means using them walking, or on public transit and the P7W I owned was already a stretch in that sense, the P9 is large and heavy so I still think of it as a home headphone. Mind you, I guess portable is anything people are comfortable wearing moving around so what do I know! Regardless the P9 is indeed a very nice signature.

I agree with your definition of portable, but I disagree in thinking that that definition precludes the P9 from being a viable portable Audiophile solution.

I wear mine everywhere...including to the grocery store. Yes, some people stare...but that doesn't bother me. I've also gotten more questions and compliments from random strangers about the P9 than any other headphone I've owned.

I'm just thrilled that I'm now able to conveniently listen to my hi res music without compromise on the go. No external amp or DAC needed. No separate DAP (I own the LG V20). Just me, my phone, and my headphones.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,278 of 2,022
I'm just thrilled that I'm now able to conveniently listen to my hi res music without compromise on the go. No external amp or DAC needed. No separate DAP (I own the LG V20). Just me, my phone, and my headphones.

Try the P7 wireless if you want real freedom, a huge chunk of the P9 sound and all the build quality. Don't get me wrong, sure you can use the P9 as a portable, there is no right or wrong, but for me, they are too large for a real portable (mind you I have also used large headphones as portable). I think it is more in recent years that I have shifted what I consider portable to be as small as viable. I have even grown to tolerate/enjoy on ear like my Onkyo H500BT very much due to their ultimate portability. I also find large, heavy over the ear headphones just too hot for our (normally) hot and humid summers so that is also part of my rationale when I say for me the P9 isn't really that portable. That is for me, and not meant to be prescriptive as after all, who am I to tell people what to use and how to use it?

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #1,279 of 2,022
Try the P7 wireless if you want real freedom, a huge chunk of the P9 sound and all the build quality. Don't get me wrong, sure you can use the P9 as a portable, there is no right or wrong, but for me, they are too large for a real portable (mind you I have also used large headphones as portable). I think it is more in recent years that I have shifted what I consider portable to be as small as viable. I have even grown to tolerate/enjoy on ear like my Onkyo H500BT very much due to their ultimate portability.

The P7W is great, and I appreciate you suggesting it, but I'm afraid that I've already tried them and had to return them. My ears are the problem, you see...they're too freakin big. They are truly the bane of my audiophile existence.

On the bright side, the P7W's were what turned me onto the P9's. I loved how they sound, and the quality wireless functionality is a dream come true. But, my ears were a too big to stuff inside the P7 pads, and since the pads are a bit stiff, it didn't take long for the pain to override the sonic bliss. So, as much as I hated to let them go, I had to return them.

It was during that trip to return them that I discovered that the P9's were in fact big enough to swallow my ears whole. I then saw their price tag, ripped them off my head in terror, and ran to the lovely AKG N60NC Wireless. Obviously, my portable headphone quest didn't end there though, since I now do own the P9's.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,280 of 2,022
What's bad for one person may be good for another.
I have many headphones that are ridiculously comfortable, from the HD800, MDR-Z7, several beyers, etc, and although the pads on the P9's feel very, very firm (as in not soft at all!) from day one they have been perfectly comfortable for me. I don't know how they did it, but they did indeed acccomplish many remarkable things with the P9, comfort (for me) being one of them.
Whenever I tried the P7 I found it at best a little uncomfortable. P9's are on a wholly other level. In everything.
Hi how do you rate your Z7's against these P9's please as I am finding it hard to choose between them many thanks

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,281 of 2,022
My ears got more sweaty and damp when I tried the Z7's compared to the P9's :-D. Sound quality I'm not sure - I think I preferred the P9's but it's been a while since I had the Z7, and currently I just invested in the Sony 1ZR's, which I'm replacing my P9's for.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,282 of 2,022
My ears got more sweaty and damp when I tried the Z7's compared to the P9's :-D. Sound quality I'm not sure - I think I preferred the P9's but it's been a while since I had the Z7, and currently I just invested in the Sony 1ZR's, which I'm replacing my P9's for.
Thank you for your quick response yes I have the MDR1000X which do get uncomfortable quick to but I just bought a AK70 dap and wanted some Hi-Res can's to go with it,I tried the P9 which did sound very good but I would worry that I'm missing something as these are not Hi-Res many thanks Lee

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,286 of 2,022
Their frequency response is from 2hz to 30khz.
Sorry My bad 2hz to 30khz but am I right that to be Hi-Res they have to be at least 40khz this is only what I have read but please tell me if I'm wrong.people tell me to not to take much notice of the frequency response and just let my ears tell me. But I would like to know though

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,288 of 2,022
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-resolution_audio

I can't hear anything beyond 14-15 KHz, so hi-res is a no go for me :)
Well they do say that us humans we can't hear anything over 20khz and I'm Shure it's a lot lower for me but Hi-Res adds to the music little bits all along the song it "opens" the sound and we can "feel" the music more it just sounds a whole lot more and you get a better experience well I have to agree any how thanks for the wiki il have a read up many thanks Lee

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,289 of 2,022
Well they do say that us humans we can't hear anything over 20khz and I'm Shure it's a lot lower for me but Hi-Res adds to the music little bits all along the song it "opens" the sound and we can "feel" the music more it just sounds a whole lot more and you get a better experience well I have to agree any how thanks for the wiki il have a read up many thanks Lee

It is true that sounds outside of our hearing range can add to the experience, but either way, "Hi-res" or not, the P9's are better than the MDR-Z7. They are more detailed from top to bottom than the Sony's, and they have a more natural tonality. They also have a much better top end. The Sony's are quite a bit darker. The P9's image better, and they also do layering better.

The only thing I would say that the Sony's have over the P9's, without a doubt, is comfort. In that regard, they are the headphone equivalent of a nice comfy leather recliner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back