Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 18, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #1,021 of 2,022
  Picked up DragonFly Red and P9 yesterday. MDR-Z7 sounds more natural on DragonFly in my ears. Something strange with the bass on some recordings with P9. Guess I will return P9.

Comparing the P9 with the Z7, the quality of the P9 is clearly a class above the Z7. The biggest problem with the Z7 is distant midrange and rolled of highs. The P9 has none of these issues and has even more detail in the treble. (I'm not using a Dragonfly BTW, Magni/Modi 2 stack).

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #1,022 of 2,022
Comparing the P9 with the Z7, the quality of the P9 is clearly a class above the Z7. The biggest problem with the Z7 is distant midrange and rolled of highs. The P9 has none of these issues and has even more detail in the treble. (I'm not using a Dragonfly BTW, Magni/Modi 2 stack).
Agree. Z7 is comfy.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,023 of 2,022
I have a DFR on order and am very curious if it will be money well spent paired with my P9's. I have never owed any Sony's and probably never will, why am I snobby against them I don't know.  :)

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,024 of 2,022

P9 is a beautiful and excellent headphone but on DragonFly Red Z7 sounds amazing! 
smile.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #1,026 of 2,022
Feb 18, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,027 of 2,022

Lol, I'm still using my launch date PS3 from 2005. I've kept it as it is a brilliant SACD player and can output SACD digitally via HDMI into my home theatre receiver. Pretty much every Sony product I've bought has just lasted and lasted.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,028 of 2,022
These are growing on me. They were incredibly uncomfortable at first, but are becoming more comfortable as the leather earpads wear in. Hip/hop rap & Electronic are excellent. Sub bass is really nice. They remind me not of a room speaker set up but a car's speakers set up (if its good). When I listen to songs, it's like a headphone version of how they sound in my car. Sound stage is ok for a closed can, nothing spectacular.

I still don't know if its the HP for me - I'm not a fan of the weight and headband. The biggest problem is the bass can be a little overwhelming for long listening sessions, which is generally how I listen. This is particularly true for indie rock/pop which often already boost the mid bass. I will be testing them on bad recordings, I think they will handle that quite well, maybe better than the PM-1. I'd love someone to compared them to the Oppo PM 1 who has listened to it more than me (I know they will be dramatically different). 

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,030 of 2,022
Feb 22, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,031 of 2,022
Well I've already posted on the P9, and after living with it, using various portable sources, I have to say I am very, very pleased with the purchase. For me the Red Dragon and the P9 have given me the best portable solution I have experienced so far. 

The only downsides of the P9 are sound isolation. In a noisy coffee shop I had to crank the volume up a little, but the quality of sound was worth it over my Bose noise reduction in-ears. I was even more surprised how much sound leakage there was when I had a co-worker take a demo. I guess these would be considered semi-closed headphones right?

As I've posted earlier only a handful of my many tunes let me down with these headphones. I use AIFF files, MP3, and streaming files on Apple devices or a JOT. I'm guessing these were poor recordings to begin with that had overly exaggerated bass.

Bottom line is I'll be carrying a slightly larger backpack, briefcase, photo bag, man bag, or messenger bag to work every day to accommodate these headphones. My office B&W Zeppelin is jealous :wink:

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #1,032 of 2,022
Anyone can compare Focal Elear with B&W P9 Signature ?
I need an overall opinion for classic/jazz/rock preference.

My gear is ifi iDSD and iPhone with NePlayer, playing flac+dsd files. Also, Qobuz & Tidal for streaming. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #1,033 of 2,022

My gear is ifi iDSD and iPhone with NePlayer, playing flac+dsd files. Also, Qobuz & Tidal for streaming. 

The Elear is more dynamic and punchy, the P9 goes lower and has more finesse. For classic/jazz/rock I would recommend the P9, you would head more details in the music. It's a bit softer than the Elear. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,034 of 2,022

We recently did a huge shootout comparing these two headphones (and a pile of others)  (see http://www.head-fi.org/t/824351/adventures-of-2-channel-guy-diving-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end for the write up)

I found both appealing and frustrating in different ways.  The P9 was definitely the more opinionated sound signature of the two, with the Elear being more neutral/traditional.  Given the VERY different sound signatures, I would strongly recommend auditioning them before making a commitment one way or another.  I suspect if you took 100 people and gave them a choice between these, they'd split pretty evenly, and most people would feel strongly about their choice (differences aren't subtle, and personal preferences will swing one way or the other)

The good news is that B&W has a phenomenal return policy when you buy direct.  I absolutely adore this company, and wish the P9 was more aligned to my preferences (I opted for a much more neutral set of headphones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back