Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 6, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #991 of 2,023
  You do realize that saffiano leather looks like that? I suggest you google it.

Surely you have pictures to back up your claim if you have actually opened the headband apart?

I actually didn't open it, it came apart, which I made clear in my original comment. There is a plastic sub-frame that the padded headband snaps into, but won't stay snapped. The metal parts of the frame only go about 1/3 the way into the headband.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #992 of 2,023

I actually didn't open it, it came apart, which I made clear in my original comment. There is a plastic sub-frame that the padded headband snaps into, but won't stay snapped. The metal parts of the frame only go about 1/3 the way into the headband.

From the pictures it looks like the plastic part is part of the top part of the headband. I can't tell if the metal frame doesn't fully go around though. I'm sure they'll replace those for you. Hopefully that was just bad luck and not manufacturing defect affecting other headphones.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #994 of 2,023
  Hi, wondering if anyone has tried their P9's with the Dragonfly Red and an iPhone? If so is the difference from directly plugged in really there? What about with hires music? What app?Thanks.

I've tried with both the black and red, and yes, the music gets amplified and the whole sound picture is wider and clearer. So it definitely helps. If it's worth the extra money for the red I'm not sure my ears can tell, but either is a good investment. 
I used it with my iPhone connected with an Apple camera to lightening adaptor and played the music in the standard music player in iOS. I know some people say you should download the Onkyo player and pay 9-10$ to unlock some feature to playback FLAC files. 
All my FLAC have been converted to Apple Lossless so whether thats the same end-result I'm not sure - maybe someone can tell?

I sold my Dragonflys as I like to test new things and I'm always searching for something better. Currently I'm rocking a Cambridge DacMagic Xs on my iMac, and I've just bought the LG Hifi Plus module that has been made by Bang & Olufsen. It's not as pretty as the Dragonfly solution, and demands an extra cable, but it sounds amazing connected to my iPhone. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #995 of 2,023
I've tried with both the black and red, and yes, the music gets amplified and the whole sound picture is wider and clearer. So it definitely helps. If it's worth the extra money for the red I'm not sure my ears can tell, but either is a good investment. 
I used it with my iPhone connected with an Apple camera to lightening adaptor and played the music in the standard music player in iOS. I know some people say you should download the Onkyo player and pay 9-10$ to unlock some feature to playback FLAC files. 
All my FLAC have been converted to Apple Lossless so whether thats the same end-result I'm not sure - maybe someone can tell?

I sold my Dragonflys as I like to test new things and I'm always searching for something better. Currently I'm rocking a Cambridge DacMagic Xs on my iMac, and I've just bought the LG Hifi Plus module that has been made by Bang & Olufsen. It's not as pretty as the Dragonfly solution, and demands an extra cable, but it sounds amazing connected to my iPhone. 

Did you try either with your iMac? I noticed no difference with my MacBook Pro using a DFR

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #997 of 2,023
Did you try either with your iMac? I noticed no difference with my MacBook Pro using a DFR

I'm using my DacMagic on my iMac, and it boost the volume significantly as well enhances the sound IMO.
I recall the Dragonfly also made a difference on my Mac. When testing a song with and without the DAC, I feel that without something is missing - the sound is more flat. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #998 of 2,023
I notice quite a lot of difference with DragonFly Red and P7W (plugged in) vs my '15 MacBook Pro.
But... the source material plays a large part. The well recorded and/or 24/96 jazz and classical music benefits a lot.
I tried both spotify premium and tidal hifi. Couldn't tell a difference between spotify or tidal when using the dac or not. Guess my ears are terrible. I don't think rock/metal music gets improved much by high end audio equipment. That's my theory anyway :p

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #999 of 2,023
I'm using my DacMagic on my iMac, and it boost the volume significantly as well enhances the sound IMO.
I recall the Dragonfly also made a difference on my Mac. When testing a song with and without the DAC, I feel that without something is missing - the sound is more flat. 
Quite a subtle difference would you say? I noticed no difference at all, which was surprising. I'd love to try the mojo but I'm not paying £400 for it...

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #1,000 of 2,023
I tried both spotify premium and tidal hifi. Couldn't tell a difference between spotify or tidal when using the dac or not. Guess my ears are terrible. I don't think rock/metal music gets improved much by high end audio equipment. That's my theory anyway :p

http://www.metal-fi.com

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,001 of 2,023
For those that have these cans I have a few questions. Does it have the same sound signature as the B&W p7? or anybody have a frequency response? u,v or neutral? Is the treble harsh if your  a little sensitive? Are female/male vocals given any emphasis? Are they musical/fun or analytic? Last, are they forgiving to not great recordings?

Thanks for any input!

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #1,002 of 2,023
I have listened to the p9 in a store, paired with my pioneer xdp100r and chord mojo and actually really enjoyed them, the bass is very present indeed, but though I'm not a very bass minded person it didn't trouble me. It's still a hefty price though and as Vilhelm44: I keep getting drawn to the t5p's and I can get them for about the same price, but I can't find them anywhere, so I'm conflicted on what to do.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #1,003 of 2,023
  For those that have these cans I have a few questions. Does it have the same sound signature as the B&W p7? or anybody have a frequency response? u,v or neutral? Is the treble harsh if your  a little sensitive? Are female/male vocals given any emphasis? Are they musical/fun or analytic? Last, are they forgiving to not great recordings?

Thanks for any input!

I dont have them yet and cant answer all of your questions, but maybe I can still help you with some of your questions. I really enjoyed the vocals on the p9's in contrast with the audioquest nightowl's. I wanted to like the nightowl's but the voices sounded somewhat muffled to me, but maybe that was due to my chord. The p9's sound very fun, I don't think you can call them very neutral. As far as I've hear (i've read a lot of reviews etc. on the p9's) the signature is comparable to the other B&W's and they should be forgiving to lesser recordings and still function nicely directly used on phones. But these last things are not my observations.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,005 of 2,023
Probably going to check these out tonight when the wife and I head to the city, the pair at the shop has been burned in so they will be viable for an assessment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back