Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #976 of 2,023

Thank you :) I would use it mostly in a car/camping car where there are a lot of bassy noise produced. I never listen very loud, I don't want to be deaf someday (I'm a musician).
Do you own a P9 ? If so, could tell me if the P9 can deliver lot of sub bass/bass please ?

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric, no I don't own the P9 and have heard it only 3 times. I can't imagine that a 40mm driver will be great at sub bass although it could be good. There is a relationship to size of driver, but I know it isn't as simple as just driver size, the enclosure and the driver excursion play significant roles. I wonder if anybody has made good measurements of the P9? Perhaps it will turn out that it can produce decent sub-bass amplitude. My concern based on what you are describing would be passive noise cancellation as the P9 is not an ANC headphone and I don't know if the designers were thinking about loud car cabins. Hopefully somebody in the thread has some related experience they can share with you.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #977 of 2,023
Hi Eric, no I don't own the P9 and have heard it only 3 times. I can't imagine that a 40mm driver will be great at sub bass although it could be good. There is a relationship to size of driver, but I know it isn't as simple as just driver size, the enclosure and the driver excursion play significant roles. I wonder if anybody has made good measurements of the P9? Perhaps it will turn out that it can produce decent sub-bass amplitude. My concern based on what you are describing would be passive noise cancellation as the P9 is not an ANC headphone and I don't know if the designers were thinking about loud car cabins. Hopefully somebody in the thread has some related experience they can share with you.
So which hp will provide more sub bass cause my p9 is producing more sub bass than the TH900.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #978 of 2,023
So which hp will provide more sub bass cause my p9 is producing more sub bass than the TH900.

Really? Well that is pretty darn amazing.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #979 of 2,023
Feb 5, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #980 of 2,023

I will have a chance to listen to a friends P9 on my home system sometime in the near future so I will get to test this for myself. I am excited to hear the P9 even more than I have, which really wasn't enough.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #981 of 2,023

I attribute that to the solid metal construction, even though the headband assembly is plastic crud.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #982 of 2,023
Hello, I fall in love with the P9 design. I'd like to know some stuff : the problem is that :
1) I need lots of bass/sub bass (rap) : can the P9 deliver it ?
2) I'm used to active noise cancelling (Sony mdr-1000x) : does the P9 offers enough passive isolation for me to listen to rap in a car/train ?

Thanks for your answers,

Eric

Yes and yes.

The P9 is all about that bass.

It isolates very well for the listener.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #983 of 2,023
Hi, wondering if anyone has tried their P9's with the Dragonfly Red and an iPhone? If so is the difference from directly plugged in really there? What about with hires music? What app?Thanks.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #986 of 2,023

Look under the leather. Or actually, don't do that..

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #987 of 2,023
  The top of the headband is made of saffiano leather, not plastic. The earcups have saffiano leather as well.

The top of my head band is plastic, not sure if you have special edition P9 Signatures!  :)

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #988 of 2,023

The top of my head band is plastic, not sure if you have special edition P9 Signatures!  :)

You do realize that saffiano leather looks like that? I suggest you google it.

Look under the leather. Or actually, don't do that..

Surely you have pictures to back up your claim if you have actually opened the headband apart?

Also straight from B&W:
P9 Signature's headband and ear cups are crafted from the finest Italian Saffiano leather by Scabrenta. It uses a 'stamping' technique that gives the leather a distinctive cross-hatch finish.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #989 of 2,023
Wow is it really leather I would have bet money on plastic. ugly is what it is and why so wide, groan. So who would come up with a leather that looks and feels like plastic? I have a great idea then. A great new micro beer that tastes like urine! I'm gonna be rich! Just kidding really but god that band is ugly but love the sound so will have to live with it.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #990 of 2,023
  Wow is it really leather I would have bet money on plastic. ugly is what it is and why so wide, groan. So who would come up with a leather that looks and feels like plastic? I have a great idea then. A great new micro beer that tastes like urine! I'm gonna be rich! Just kidding really but god that band is ugly but love the sound so will have to live with it.

Dunno why they decided to use it. It's mostly used on women's hand bags like Louis Vuitton and such. It's an expensive material and is very durable though. I think they look decent and the materials are top notch even if you don't like the looks otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back