Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jan 7, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #751 of 2,022
Hi I purchased the P9's a few weeks ago and they seem to be getting better with each listen.

However the price point has got me thinking. I currently own the P7 wireless and some Opportunity P3's.  I don't think I will be using the Oppos much now, as much I used to like them, the P9's are a big step up. But at £699 it has got me thinking about the Oppos PM2 or even the PM1.

Does anyone have any direct experience of how the P9's compare with the higher end Oppos? 

Thanks 
PM1 is more laid back. No bass impact, less treble detail. PM1 more comfy fit.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #752 of 2,022
Completely disagree with the pm1 having no bass impact. The midbass punch is like getting a nail through your brain.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #753 of 2,022
Completely disagree with the pm1 having no bass impact. The midbass punch is like getting a nail through your brain.
Guess I like more bass than you and I prefer sub bass.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #754 of 2,022
Hi I purchased the P9's a few weeks ago and they seem to be getting better with each listen.

However the price point has got me thinking. I currently own the P7 wireless and some Opportunity P3's.  I don't think I will be using the Oppos much now, as much I used to like them, the P9's are a big step up. But at £699 it has got me thinking about the Oppos PM2 or even the PM1.

Does anyone have any direct experience of how the P9's compare with the higher end Oppos? 

Thanks 

What's the difference like between the P7 wireless and P9s?

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #755 of 2,022
Jan 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #756 of 2,022
What's the difference like between the P7 wireless and P9s?

P7's are more comfortable but you won't get fatigue listening to the 9, they are just heavier.

TBH I only ever use the 7's wireless so haven't done a direct wired comparison but the sound upgrade with the 9's is well worth the price over the 7's.

If wireless is not a necessity I would urge anyone to go for the 9's over the 7's if budget allows.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #759 of 2,022
Guess I like more bass than you and I prefer sub bass.

yup...this is soooo true isn't it...esp when it comes to bass.
one loves subbass, but another will feel it causes bloat
and leaks into the other frequencies...i see this all the time
when we're talking filter configs on the flc 8s iems.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #762 of 2,022
How does the P9 compare to Beyerdynamics T1?

They are vastly, vastly different headphones. I have both.

P9: warm, bass bloated on some songs, rich midrange, narrow soundstage placed forward of your head, easy to drive from a portable source, less leakage/better isolation
T1: huge soundstage, incredible inner detail, super articulate and open, ease/liquidity, treble peak can be an ice pick to the skull on many recordings, super comfortable to wear

Both are deeply flawed headphones that can absolutely sing on certain recordings. Definitely not all-rounders.

Edit: My T1 is v2, FWIW

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #763 of 2,022

Thanks 

Funny you should mention this. I'm wondering if I should return my P9's and locate a pair of PM1's. I think I'd prefer them. Too bad I bought at Best Buy, which doesn't carry Oppo.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #764 of 2,022
I can't suggest one over the other as I've never heard the p9. ive heard a ton of headphones and a ton of speakers and tight bass is tight bass. I completely understand personal preference in regards to amounts of bass but I don't see how anyone could say the pm1 doesn't have tight bass.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #765 of 2,022
I had a chance to try the wireless P7's and I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a little more from them given comments here that the wireless P7's and the P9's sounded very similar. At least one commenter said the sound difference wasn't enough to justify the price.

In my experience the P9's are a significant step up from the wireless P7's. The P9's just have a richer and fuller sound. I tried the P7's both wired and wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back