Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #721 of 2,022
  is it possible to drive these headphones using the balance output  of DAPs i.e. AK (2.5mm TRRS) and Sony (4.4mm TRRS)?

Have to correct myself, no, the P9 isn't wired internally for balanced that I know of where the Oppo PM3 was. I wonder, perhaps it is? It wouldn't be worth the trouble, there is no chance in hell as they say that people can hear common noise when music is playing, or likely at all. The only advantage IMO of balanced is more power, but the P9 doesn't need much power at all.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #722 of 2,022
Hi, everyone!

Several people mentioned the so-called “mid-bass hump” problem of P9, and I started to notice it after reading these reviews and it began to annoy me ever since, so much that I almost decided to return it (before reading these reviews, I did not notice the bass problem at all; the only annoying problem is the sibilance, harsh “s” sounds in some tracks): the bass in some tracks is indeed overpowering, making vocals hard to hear.

I left P9 to burn in last night at a slightly louder than normal volume (6 out of 15 using Macbook Pro 15), playing Maroon 5’s 2007 album It Won't Be Soon Before Long for about 9 - 10 hours, making the total burn-in time 100+ hours. This morning I notice some significant changes. I can say with confidence that “the mid-bass hump” problem is no longer there (or at least much better). 

According to a recent review, “In some songs, this creates a claustrophobic effect — there’s only so much room in a mix after all — which crowds the center image, pushing it well into the front and washing out some of the presence in lead vocals. From Billy Joel’s The Entertainer to Radiohead’s Nude, we heard barreling bass solos that weren’t supposed to be solos, and crashing waves of percussion that get more of the spotlight than they’re afforded by virtually every other high-end headphone we’ve heard.”

This morning I listened to Radiohead’s Nude again (and several times after that), and I realised the problem is no longer there (or at least much better; I’m a bass lover myself after all…). Now I can hear the vocals loud and clear. I also tested other songs like The Killer’s Just Another Girl (absolutely muddy before), and David Bowie’s Blackstar (absolutely boomy before); now everything sounds the way it should be.

Another problem, the sibilance, harsh “s” sounds, is gone as well.

So my suggestion is to burn in P9 for 100+ hours, using louder than normal volume for at least 10 hours (Maroon 5’s It Won't Be Soon Before Long works really well based on my experience!), before making judgement.

I was a big fan of IEMs before; I own a SE846 and a UM Pro 50, but now I don’t want to touch them any more… Everything sounds so much better and more natural in P9 (violin, especially). Every song is like live exclusively to me due to its 3D space. Using P9 to watch movie really gives you the feeling of being in a cinema.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #723 of 2,022
What a polarizing headphone. This either means I likely will love or hate them; so with a bunch of BestBuy gift cards to burn, I figured I'd see which camp I fall into :)

I have a pair of P5s2's I actually quite enjoy for what they are, excepting the comfort (they remind me of my old B&W DM302's), so I was pretty curious to see what B&W created for their TOTL portable. I'm looking for a pair of semi-closed cans with a different and "fun" signature, so why not give these a whirl...

First impressions out of the box were that they are stiff as heck (both in clamping and leather stiffness) and yes, I hear the boom on some tracks. I actually didn't find them all that impressive looking in person--I guess I thought that leather would be softer and more luxurious, like the P5's. I don't mind brown/retro looking cans, but these struck me as feeling a bit cheaper than expected in the hand. Not a dealbreaker, though, if I like the sound.

I'm pretty bipolar about them at the moment. Sometimes they strike me as interestingly different from my other cans, at other times they strike me as very boxed-in and "cheap" sounding. I'll reserve judgment for a few more weeks of off/on listening and break-in.

I intend to try these in various situations unamped from my iPhone/iPad Pro, Sony ZX2, as well as amp'd with my ifi IDSD BL and my ifi iCAN Pro; maybe some more time with my Deckard if I bring them to work again to try in the P5s2's place. Will keep you guys posted!

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #725 of 2,022
  Have to correct myself, no, the P9 isn't wired internally for balanced that I know of where the Oppo PM3 was. I wonder, perhaps it is? It wouldn't be worth the trouble, there is no chance in hell as they say that people can hear common noise when music is playing, or likely at all. The only advantage IMO of balanced is more power, but the P9 doesn't need much power at all.

Thanks...

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #726 of 2,022
  Hi, everyone!

Several people mentioned the so-called “mid-bass hump” problem of P9, and I started to notice it after reading these reviews and it began to annoy me ever since, so much that I almost decided to return it (before reading these reviews, I did not notice the bass problem at all; the only annoying problem is the sibilance, harsh “s” sounds in some tracks): the bass in some tracks is indeed overpowering, making vocals hard to hear.

I left P9 to burn in last night at a slightly louder than normal volume (6 out of 15 using Macbook Pro 15), playing Maroon 5’s 2007 album It Won't Be Soon Before Long for about 9 - 10 hours, making the total burn-in time 100+ hours. This morning I notice some significant changes. I can say with confidence that “the mid-bass hump” problem is no longer there (or at least much better). 

According to a recent review, “In some songs, this creates a claustrophobic effect — there’s only so much room in a mix after all — which crowds the center image, pushing it well into the front and washing out some of the presence in lead vocals. From Billy Joel’s The Entertainer to Radiohead’s Nude, we heard barreling bass solos that weren’t supposed to be solos, and crashing waves of percussion that get more of the spotlight than they’re afforded by virtually every other high-end headphone we’ve heard.”

This morning I listened to Radiohead’s Nude again (and several times after that), and I realised the problem is no longer there (or at least much better; I’m a bass lover myself after all…). Now I can hear the vocals loud and clear. I also tested other songs like The Killer’s Just Another Girl (absolutely muddy before), and David Bowie’s Blackstar (absolutely boomy before); now everything sounds the way it should be.

Another problem, the sibilance, harsh “s” sounds, is gone as well.

So my suggestion is to burn in P9 for 100+ hours, using louder than normal volume for at least 10 hours (Maroon 5’s It Won't Be Soon Before Long works really well based on my experience!), before making judgement.

I was a big fan of IEMs before; I own a SE846 and a UM Pro 50, but now I don’t want to touch them any more… Everything sounds so much better and more natural in P9 (violin, especially). Every song is like live exclusively to me due to its 3D space. Using P9 to watch movie really gives you the feeling of being in a cinema.

It is possible that many are missing the point of this headphone. It provides a listening experience similar to the power one feels when listening to big loudspeakers. Yes, the bass is big and rich but so is the midrange, and the top is not rolled off either. It is just a big, rich, full-sounding headphone.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #727 of 2,022
It is possible that many are missing the point of this headphone. It provides a listening experience similar to the power one feels when listening to big loudspeakers. Yes, the bass is big and rich but so is the midrange, and the top is not rolled off either. It is just a big, rich, full-sounding headphone.
Its very detailed, eventhough it has great powerful clean bass, its very detailed.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #730 of 2,022
I've had this headphone for a week now, and used them for a few hours each day. Although I am no expert I think these cans just get better and better.
The infamous bass hump is not something I can say I am familiar with. The bass is more present than my other headphones, like the HD800 and P7. But it is seldom overpowering or out of place. At least not to my ears. There are exceptions, obviously. But I believe the head-fier that attributed that to poor mastering may be on to something.

I can only say that for my listening needs these are a wonderful set of headphones.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #731 of 2,022
so wish my local headfi retailer carried these...he has virtually every other set of cans
(but neither Sony nor B&W)...would love to try these out against my sony 7520 and senn hd650.
always nice to sample things side by side so you can see the diffs right away in sound sigs.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #732 of 2,022

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #734 of 2,022
Jan 2, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #735 of 2,022
How do I do that?:hushed:

if in chrome or on google it should come with a message to translate to english.
if not right click and you'll get an option to do so.

hopefully at the CES show we'll see more attempts to make headphones
more 'speaker like' (out of your head listening)and fully immersive....will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back