Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #1,906 of 2,023
They're plastic cups wrapped in a 'leather' skin.
Here is one of the few images online showing that particular part of the 'build quality' - https://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_461.html
Well I'll be damned. Surface is so hard to touch I was sure it was plastic. :astonished:

Edit: I'm also an idiot because I did not notice that when I dissasembled the headphones. :laughing:

IMG_20191024_232903.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,907 of 2,023
I used to also own the B&O H7. I also loved it, but sadly it didn't go quite loud enough so despite absolutely loving the design and the sound I parted ways. Damn EU volume caps.
I know you did not like the volume caps. But my ears are just fine with the volume, I have never tried to turn it all the way up. However, whileI love the H7, most often I grab the H95. No option for changing battery, but improved sound. So the H7 are now mostly for rainy days😜
Edit: To justify the apparent off tread comment: I also owned the P9 😀. However, they had to go, when I bought the focal Stellia…

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,908 of 2,023
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,909 of 2,023
They're plastic cups wrapped in a 'leather' skin.
Here is one of the few images online showing that particular part of the 'build quality' - https://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_461.html
i wonder what the drivers are made from. Inside of the cup isn't too interesting, compared to focal's closed backs anyway which have dissipative surfaces for reflected waves.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,910 of 2,023
It is some sort of bio-cellulose driver. I think all b&w headphones use that type of drivers? atleast p7 does. It has a suspension edge like Fostex/denon bio-cellulose drivers but magnet assembly and way wires are attached is very different from Fostex.
IMG_20191024_232730.jpg

IMG_20191024_232646.jpg
IMG_20191024_232828.jpg

It's a very unique design and I find it interesting that iBasso Sr1 has very similar drivers. I don't know if B&W designed The drivers themselves. I don't think it would be cost efficient for iBasso to have B&W Make drivers for them so perhaps both companies used a same unknown designer. If OEM of the driver is Chinese I would not be surprised If they just tweaked design ment for B&W and sold it to iBasso. Abundance of p7 drivers available on Chinese webstores would support this theory.

Here is iBasso Sr1 driver. I think SR2 uses same or similar driver.

IMG_20200509_215642.jpg
IMG_20200509_215305.jpg

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,911 of 2,023
It's a very unique design and I find it interesting that iBasso Sr1 has very similar drivers. I don't know if B&W designed The drivers themselves. I don't think it would be cost efficient for iBasso to have B&W Make drivers for them so perhaps both companies used a same unknown designer. If OEM of the driver is Chinese I would not be surprised If they just tweaked design ment for B&W and sold it to iBasso. Abundance of p7 drivers available on Chinese webstores would support this theory.

Super intriguing stuff, the drivers look very similar, I think you're right on getting the OEM to tweak the driver.

I'd really like to ask the engineers about the honeycomb grille. I know the 50/50 fabric-leather earcups are to absorb sound and then diffuse it it (the high end Stellia has the exact same pad design, haven't seen anyone else do that with pads though). So many subtle things go into the overall package.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #1,912 of 2,023
I have the P7, which I got from 2014.

I looked at B&W's website a few weeks ago, and noticed they don't have any more over the head wired headphones. Is this true?

To me, it's hard to beat both its comfort, and its sound. I compared it with 2 other over the head headphones in 2014, the SoundMagic and the PSB M4U. I liked the sound of the PSB too, but the P7 was much more comfortable.

I don't need new headphones, but I just want to keep aware of what options are out there. If I had to get new wired over the head headphones, and B&W didn't make any more, what else is there that's comparable to the P7 in sound and comfort?

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,913 of 2,023
I have the P7, which I got from 2014.

I looked at B&W's website a few weeks ago, and noticed they don't have any more over the head wired headphones. Is this true?

To me, it's hard to beat both its comfort, and its sound. I compared it with 2 other over the head headphones in 2014, the SoundMagic and the PSB M4U. I liked the sound of the PSB too, but the P7 was much more comfortable.

I don't need new headphones, but I just want to keep aware of what options are out there. If I had to get new wired over the head headphones, and B&W didn't make any more, what else is there that's comparable to the P7 in sound and comfort?
P9 ofc, its just a much better P7.

I bought the P7s last year, as a gift, and compared them side by side with the P9. P7 is great, but P9 has much greater detail and a fuller mid range. It sounds like what the engineers would’ve made the P7 to be if they had no constraints.

Same for the P7 wireless. I also bought that, it has a different signature to the P9, but the P9 is undoubtedly better.

Shop around. P9s are still floating around new as clearance stock, or try cex, the site, or even ebay.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #1,914 of 2,023
Just bagged a pair from my local cex listed as B grade, fully boxed cables case the lot marked as B due to the pads having slight black marks on them with I'm sure can be removed with a bit of leather treatment or a new pair maybe. Otherwise mint no scratches at all ! Absolute bargain hagled and got them for £250 ! Which makes me think what did they sell them to Cex for ?. I've had the P7's and 9's before when released but as you do you change for other sets overtime but always liked the 7's for the quality build and warm sound. Bought a pair of 7's a few weeks ago for £90 from cex same again B grade because it was missing the case ( £18 replacement from Bowers ) and that's in mint condition as well a real bargain ! Re wired them to balanced internally and tried out on my DX300 Max via the 4.4mm output ... They sound excellent so had to source a 9 to do the same with, two weeks later a pair popped up at my local cex happy days !

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,916 of 2,023
Just bagged a pair from my local cex listed as B grade, fully boxed cables case the lot marked as B due to the pads having slight black marks on them with I'm sure can be removed with a bit of leather treatment or a new pair maybe. Otherwise mint no scratches at all ! Absolute bargain hagled and got them for £250 ! Which makes me think what did they sell them to Cex for ?. I've had the P7's and 9's before when released but as you do you change for other sets overtime but always liked the 7's for the quality build and warm sound. Bought a pair of 7's a few weeks ago for £90 from cex same again B grade because it was missing the case ( £18 replacement from Bowers ) and that's in mint condition as well a real bargain ! Re wired them to balanced internally and tried out on my DX300 Max via the 4.4mm output ... They sound excellent so had to source a 9 to do the same with, two weeks later a pair popped up at my local cex happy days !
I think you got a sweet deal there! I paid retail when they first came out, but of course I've had the pleasure of listening to them for some time!

I've probably already reported I'm using them with a Schiit Asgard 3 and True Multibit DAC card. I also found using the shorter cord provided better sound IMHO. They also sound great with my AudioQuest Dragonfly Red USB-C DAC for portable use on my iPad Pro.

That said I wish there were some custom cables that would work with the "S" curve cable channel ear cup cable connector. I've searched and have not found anyone that makes a high end cable. Cable naysayers please limit your chastisements :deadhorse:

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,919 of 2,023
It is some sort of bio-cellulose driver. I think all b&w headphones use that type of drivers? atleast p7 does. It has a suspension edge like Fostex/denon bio-cellulose drivers but magnet assembly and way wires are attached is very different from Fostex.
IMG_20191024_232730.jpg
IMG_20191024_232646.jpgIMG_20191024_232828.jpg

IMG_20200509_215642.jpgIMG_20200509_215305.jpg
I think the material the P9 drivers are made of is Mylar. Very capable drivers indeed. I am also sure that the P9 drivers where developed in house by B&W engineers, and that these drivers are not found in any other headphones by different brands.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,920 of 2,023
I think the material the P9 drivers are made of is Mylar. Very capable drivers indeed. I am also sure that the P9 drivers where developed in house by B&W engineers, and that these drivers are not found in any other headphones by different brands.
Yup, very good indeed.

I have the focal elegia which when EQd are regarded as one of the best closed backs under £1000.

But the metal driver has this odd timbre, the P9s have some magic sauce. Detail is similar, the elegia highlights detail better, but id say the P9 driver produces a more natural sound, whatever you interpret that as.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back