Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #1,696 of 2,022
Oh come on man..you didn't find the instrument separation very good? It's astonishingly good. Almost too good to believe.
Look, i had the DT1990 Pro as comparison, if i had to choose between them due to hardware capabilities, they DT1990 Pros would win. the P9 have ok separation but not worth the $1,000.
But, if you enjoy bass, then they are good bass cans. i can't deny that.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #1,697 of 2,022
Look, i had the DT1990 Pro as comparison, if i had to choose between them due to hardware capabilities, they DT1990 Pros would win. the P9 have ok separation but not worth the $1,000.
But, if you enjoy bass, then they are good bass cans. i can't deny that.
Cool.
I've never heard the DT1990 Pro, I wonder how it compares to the Sennheiser HD700. The HD700 was the most expensive open-back headphone I ever owned, I sold it, but it had the best instrument separation and sound stage of any headphone I ever heard, but I consider the P9 to be even better than HD700.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #1,698 of 2,022
Cool.
I've never heard the DT1990 Pro, I wonder how it compares to the Sennheiser HD700. The HD700 was the most expensive open-back headphone I ever owned, I sold it, but it had the best instrument separation and sound stage of any headphone I ever heard, but I consider the P9 to be even better than HD700.
I've tried the HD700 and i really didnt like their sound, I prefered the HD660S and I do believe they're a better headphone despite using the same driver. (whatever tweaking they did, they did it right.). but my DT1990 pro are better and I do enjoy them so much more.
If i had to choose between the P9 or the HD700, i'd buy the P9. they're probobly 25% more comfortable(not saying much, that HD700 headband and stiff thin pads.. my goodness..) and if im not mistaken i think the P9s are 200$ cheaper in my city than the HD700.

but again, DT1990 pro over either of them, any day, on any setup.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,699 of 2,022
I have to agree with the comments about how good the P9's and I really do miss mine. Biggest issue for me was comfort. Ouch they hurt!

Gone back to my Oppo PM-1's for now but I' hoping that B&W release a new, more comfortable signature soon.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,701 of 2,022
I have to agree with the comments about how good the P9's and I really do miss mine. Biggest issue for me was comfort. Ouch they hurt!

Gone back to my Oppo PM-1's for now but I' hoping that B&W release a new, more comfortable signature soon.
Dekoni Nuggets is your answer, cheap and they do help with that headband stiff/hardness, also i bet you also get a sore spot on the top of your head? i've been there.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,702 of 2,022
I must try the DT1990 someday, i've only read great things about it. For now though, I intend to buy a really good amp for my P9, get a good desktop setup going.
I would definitely if you have the ability to, demo them in a store or music studio equipment store.

as far as amp goes, dont get too spendy, the P9 are pretty efficient, they were made to run on mobile devices also, so if you buy too much power, i feel you'll get diminishing returns if you go too far.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #1,703 of 2,022
I would definitely if you have the ability to, demo them in a store or music studio equipment store.

as far as amp goes, dont get too spendy, the P9 are pretty efficient, they were made to run on mobile devices also, so if you buy too much power, i feel you'll get diminishing returns if you go too far.
Unfortunately I don't think any of the Hifi store's near me (the nearest is 20 mile's from where I live) will have the DT1990 available for demo, but the the DT1990 are well within my budget so I don't mind buying a pair without having heard it yet.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of getting either the Audiolab M-DAC or the Cyrus One linear. Still trying to make up my mind which one to go for.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #1,704 of 2,022
Unfortunately I don't think any of the Hifi store's near me (the nearest is 20 mile's from where I live) will have the DT1990 available for demo, but the the DT1990 are well within my budget so I don't mind buying a pair without having heard it yet.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of getting either the Audiolab M-DAC or the Cyrus One linear. Still trying to make up my mind which one to go for.
Have you perhaps considered the Monolith THX AAA portable ? (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460) its quite a good portable amp from what i've been told here and from what ive seen in reviews.

Also, despite being within budget, i still strongly suggest you try the DT1990 Pro before you buy. its studio flat response might not be for everyone. also perhaps the comfort might be not to your liking. keep in mind they're made for studio use so the cables are quite heavy. they also require a strong amp to be used, definitely not made for portable use on mobile devices or DAPs. (they will still produce music, but it will sound anaemic. as with any power hungry headphone on a weak portable device.)

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,705 of 2,022
Have you perhaps considered the Monolith THX AAA portable ? (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460) its quite a good portable amp from what i've been told here and from what ive seen in reviews.

Also, despite being within budget, i still strongly suggest you try the DT1990 Pro before you buy. its studio flat response might not be for everyone. also perhaps the comfort might be not to your liking. keep in mind they're made for studio use so the cables are quite heavy. they also require a strong amp to be used, definitely not made for portable use on mobile devices or DAPs. (they will still produce music, but it will sound anaemic. as with any power hungry headphone on a weak portable device.)
The 1990 must be tuned quite differently from the DT990, that was a signature I couldn't like and I owned and liked both the DT880 and 770. The 990, going from memory now, had fairly coloured bass, but my impression at the time was that it somehow lacked detail. I should give them a try sometime.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,706 of 2,022

I had not considered the Monolith THX AAA, I didn't even know about it. I will definitely consider it now. I am hoping to put together/acquire a good desktop system for my P9, such as an integrated amp or amp/dac combination. And then I might consider the DT1990 or maybe an HD800. Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,708 of 2,022
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #1,709 of 2,022
P
Oh come on man..you didn't find the instrument separation very good? It's astonishingly good. Almost too good to believe.

The separation is indeed incredible, and surprises me daily when I get home, take off my IEMs, and plug in the P9s.

P9 is going for a very specific vibe and imho does an excellent job at what it’s designed to do. You either love the vibe or you don’t.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #1,710 of 2,022
Absolutely, the P9, depending on your preference, sounds fantastic. I personally really enjoyed it. Clearly B&W wasn't attempting to present a linear signature, they went with a bold musical statement that they felt was engaging and special. Much like what Sony did with the Z1R. I like when companies craft a signature and offer us a new interpretation. It has been awhile since I heard the P9, it had been loaned to me by a friend, but I remember really liking it, sometimes it was simply magical, and there were other times when the music didn't work and the sound came off as too bassy. I also really liked the styling, rather sharp looking headphone without being gaudy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back