Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 24, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,666 of 2,022
Well I can confirm P9 is quite durable as I accidentally blasted it with Dragonfly Red and 100% volume which I think is far more than the reported 50mw max input power for P9. I didn't notice any damage so far.

I wasn't prepared for Tidal exclusive mode forcing full volume because I've been using JRiver on WASAPI and still able to use system volume slider.

Might want to check my ears later though...

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,667 of 2,022
Well I can confirm P9 is quite durable as I accidentally blasted it with Dragonfly Red and 100% volume which I think is far more than the reported 50mw max input power for P9. I didn't notice any damage so far.

I wasn't prepared for Tidal exclusive mode forcing full volume because I've been using JRiver on WASAPI and still able to use system volume slider.

Might want to check my ears later though...
Ouch, glad there is no obvious damage.

May 15, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,668 of 2,022
I guess it’s a few years old now so wouldn’t surprise me. I’d love to see a new design. As much as I loved the sound they were just too uncomfortable for me so went for PM1’s but wouldn’t hesitate coming back.
Well I finally got around to seriously considering getting the P9 and the two retailers in NZ have now sold out - I had been keeping an eye on their websites and they had stock up until very recently.

Just had confirmation from one of the retailers that the P9 has been discontinued, so currently the “highest end” B&W headphone is the PX (which I guess you could use wired as well). No word on whether an updated high end model will be released.

May 15, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #1,669 of 2,022
Just had confirmation from one of the retailers that the P9 has been discontinued, so currently the “highest end” B&W headphone is the PX (which I guess you could use wired as well). No word on whether an updated high end model will be released.

Just as a note, the PX aren't great driven in an analogue way, quite a lot of background hiss, and they can't be passive either, so if the battery runs out you're done until you can recharge. They're good driven over USB or Bluetooth though.

May 15, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #1,670 of 2,022
Just as a note, the PX aren't great driven in an analogue way, quite a lot of background hiss, and they can't be passive either, so if the battery runs out you're done until you can recharge. They're good driven over USB or Bluetooth though.
Ah right, thanks for that info. Looks like I’ll just have to wait and see what happens next, unless I find a P9 going for a good price 2nd hand. I’d love it if B&W put out a headphone that could easily accept balanced connections.

May 15, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #1,672 of 2,022
I've still seen them listed on a few sites, and plenty on eBay. Unfortunately for much more than I could have got them a month a ago. There's two retailers in NZ: Soundlab and AVWorld, both of which had them going on sale for a number of months for 900 NZD (approx 590 USD). Now they're sold out they said they're not getting any more in, with one confirming it was because they're discontinued. I imagine there will still be some stock around, probably including accessories like the cables.

May 15, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,673 of 2,022
Well I finally got around to seriously considering getting the P9 and the two retailers in NZ have now sold out - I had been keeping an eye on their websites and they had stock up until very recently.

I do love my P9. I wonder if there will be a new flagship? If so I wonder if it will be BT only.

May 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,675 of 2,022
I just got a set of P9's. Really love them, they present more of the music and musical soul/emotion than any headphone I have used. I hear the musical intent rather than the distraction of the details of the recording and recording process.
Congratulations. Even though some may find them dark, I really enjoy them like sitting in front of speakers. My favourite is David Gilmour, Live at Pompeii. Give it a try:)

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,677 of 2,022
So I bought a B&W P9 Signature yesterday, i’ve been listening to it and just wanted to leave my thoughts and impressions. The P9 signature is surely the best portable headphone on the market, no?! I am unaware of any other portable headphone that is more expensive, but perhaps there is. Also, I think the P9 Signature is great for home use too. In fact my other (much cheaper) headphones have now lost their appeal..I want to throw them in the trash because they sound so poor compared to the P9 Signature. I think the P9 Signature sounds neutral, with a slight bump in the midrange, but it doesn’t bother me at all and in fact I think some music benefits from it. I think the sheer scale of the sound stage is astonishing for a closed back headphone, even more so for a headphone that has 40mm drivers. There is just something overwhelming about the sound of the P9 Signature, I think orchestral music sounds really special with it. In my opinion, the saying “sounds like speakers in a room” is used far too many times, especially for headphones costing far less than the P9 Signature, but I gotta say that to me the P9 Signature almost literally sounds like speakers in a room. I think Bowers and Wilkins created a masterpiece!

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #1,678 of 2,022
So I bought a B&W P9 Signature yesterday, i’ve been listening to it and just wanted to leave my thoughts and impressions. The P9 signature is surely the best portable headphone on the market, no?! I am unaware of any other portable headphone that is more expensive, but perhaps there is. Also, I think the P9 Signature is great for home use too. In fact my other (much cheaper) headphones have now lost their appeal..I want to throw them in the trash because they sound so poor compared to the P9 Signature. I think the P9 Signature sounds neutral, with a slight bump in the midrange, but it doesn’t bother me at all and in fact I think some music benefits from it. I think the sheer scale of the sound stage is astonishing for a closed back headphone, even more so for a headphone that has 40mm drivers. There is just something overwhelming about the sound of the P9 Signature, I think orchestral music sounds really special with it. In my opinion, the saying “sounds like speakers in a room” is used far too many times, especially for headphones costing far less than the P9 Signature, but I gotta say that to me the P9 Signature almost literally sounds like speakers in a room. I think Bowers and Wilkins created a masterpiece!
I don't think the P9 could ever be described as neutral in all fairness, but it is great that you are really enjoying the signature so much. Enjoy.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #1,679 of 2,022
I played with the PX for the first time today and I must say I think I preferred the sound signature in some ways, the vocals are more forward. But not nearly as resolving as the P9. More comfortable for sure.

Still adore my P9s, but I’m curious about what’s coming next. Something with the resolution of the P9, but tuned more like the PX would be great.

And, I must say, I was prepared for the PX to sound like garbage with ANC activated (as all the reviews seem to say), but that wasn’t really true. Changes the music for sure, but hardly offensive. Might end up getting them for plane rides, as I find the P9 isn’t great for planes or noisy spaces. I end up gradually cranking the volume to compensate.

Also, I’ve recently been training the metal out on the P9 headband to loosen up. It’s made a lot of difference with comfort (clamping force gives me headaches sometimes) and the bass situation is less fatiguing I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back