Bowers & Wilkins in-ear headphones = C5
Jul 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #47 of 121
etysmile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #50 of 121
OK, this is going to be my final update before the review (in a couple weeks), and it's a comparison to the newer DUNU Hephaes (IDK how many Head-Fiers have heard these) and the NUForce NE700Ms.  All three of these headphones have a similar sound signature, and they tend to be more known with the Head-Fiers.  FYI, BW = Bowers and Wilkins (I'm too lazy to use the & symbol
tongue.gif
)

Bass

The DUNUs and BWs have the same quantity, but the BWs offer much more impact.  The NE700s are more relaxed and smoother while the other two, especially the BWs are much more boomy in comparison.  For fun, I'd definitely prefer the BWs bass to anything

Mids

The DUNUs and NE700s both have much greater dynamics and detail in the mids.  The BWs sound boring in comparison, this goes for instrumentals and vocals.  The clarity is top notch though, even over the DUNUs (Dunus lack clarity in my opinion, by a little bit).  The BWs are as clear as the NE700s, but lack the details and dynamics the NE700s have. 

Highs

The BW are definitely the most blaring of the bunch, followed by the NUForces.  They do become a tad bit blended/mashed together (can't come up with the word that would describe this well) because of this.  The DUNUs sounded a lot more recessed while the highs on the BW did somewhat sound forward in some songs, but recessed in others.  This also occurred with the NUForces.  The BWs, like in the mids, lack the details and clarity the NUForces have in the highs, but are much louder in comparison.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #51 of 121

Quote:
OK, this is going to be my final update before the review (in a couple weeks), and it's a comparison to the newer DUNU Hephaes (IDK how many Head-Fiers have heard these) and the NUForce NE700Ms.  All three of these headphones have a similar sound signature, and they tend to be more known with the Head-Fiers.  FYI, BW = Bowers and Wilkins (I'm too lazy to use the & symbol
tongue.gif
)

Bass

The DUNUs and BWs have the same quantity, but the BWs offer much more impact.  The NE700s are more relaxed and smoother while the other two, especially the BWs are much more boomy in comparison.  For fun, I'd definitely prefer the BWs bass to anything

Mids

The DUNUs and NE700s both have much greater dynamics and detail in the mids.  The BWs sound boring in comparison, this goes for instrumentals and vocals.  The clarity is top notch though, even over the DUNUs (Dunus lack clarity in my opinion, by a little bit).  The BWs are as clear as the NE700s, but lack the details and dynamics the NE700s have. 

Highs

The BW are definitely the most blaring of the bunch, followed by the NUForces.  They do become a tad bit blended/mashed together (can't come up with the word that would describe this well) because of this.  The DUNUs sounded a lot more recessed while the highs on the BW did somewhat sound forward in some songs, but recessed in others.  This also occurred with the NUForces.  The BWs, like in the mids, lack the details and clarity the NUForces have in the highs, but are much louder in comparison.

Hmm that doesn't sound too encouraging. They sound like brasher NE-700's, and I wasn't a huge fan of that sound either (compared to something a bit more refined like DDM's or such.) 

The "blended/mash" together sound you're describing is what I would normally call smeared hehe. I wonder what the best word for it is - I think of something like the ety MC5 as having smeared highs because the lower treble peak is overbearing.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 121

Quote:
Hmm that doesn't sound too encouraging. They sound like brasher NE-700's, and I wasn't a huge fan of that sound either (compared to something a bit more refined like DDM's or such.) 

The "blended/mash" together sound you're describing is what I would normally call smeared hehe. I wonder what the best word for it is - I think of something like the ety MC5 as having smeared highs because the lower treble peak is overbearing.

I actually enjoy the NE700s as a fun pair of headphones, but still prefer a more analytical signature of something like the HF2/3/5.  But yes, they are very similar to the NE-700s with more bass and treble. 

As for the blended/mashed/smeared.  I normally called them mashed/unclear in most of my reviews I've done.  But yes, smeared is another good adjective to explain it.  I was skimming through the audiophile's dictionary and couldn't find a word for it... :p

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #54 of 121

Quote:
They are somewhat overpriced for the sound they deliver.

That is the vibe I've gotten from reading up on the P5 as well.  A trend?  I'd still like to give them a listen.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #55 of 121
I'd concur.  I think the P5 aren't bad for what they typically go for used (approx. 200), but their full price is not really reflective of their performance. 

Quote:
That is the vibe I've gotten from reading up on the P5 as well.  A trend?  I'd still like to give them a listen.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #56 of 121
Just a head's up: ilounge.com just gave the C5 an A- rating.  Here is the full review:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/bowers-wilkins-c5-in-ear-headphones/

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #57 of 121

Quote:
Just a head's up: ilounge.com just gave the C5 an A- rating.  Here is the full review:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/bowers-wilkins-c5-in-ear-headphones/

Mine is a little lower, overall they are pretty good (if you take a look at the whole picture) but definitely not an A in my book..  I didn't like the build quality of the cables and headphone jack though (also the black part that attaches to the end of the earloop started detaching...), it lost some points in value (I've heard 100 and sub-100 sound just as good).  My review is finished though and will be posted in a few days.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #58 of 121

Quote:

I take most reviews involving audio with a grain of salt when the reviewers are tech sites and not audio sites. Face it B&W is catering directly to the Apple crowd and I don't think it's unsafe to say that many Apple fans will buy these buds because it's minimalist industrial look aesthetically meshes well with the Apple DAP's and computers.

Quote: from the iLounge article
C5 thankfully doesn’t slouch in the audio department, either. The best way we can describe these earphones is to call them direct descendants of the company’s well-established Zeppelin speaker: powerful, particularly in the bass department, though the low end is respectably tight and reasonably controlled rather than bloated or fatiguing. Though C5 leans warm and adds some emphasis to low notes—akin to the resonance you hear in a cello—we really liked the sound the first time we heard it, something that we don’t always say about bassy earphones. Our positive impressions continued with every additional track and genre of music we tested: instruments consistently felt rich, while voices sounded lifelike and distinct from their backgrounds without feeling artificially separated.

I love B&W's traditional stereo speakers and if I had the money I wouldn't think twice about throwing down my cash on a set of Nautilus speakers but the iPod Zeppelin speaker was an affront to my ears. I dunno maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #59 of 121
I agree, the CM1 is the cleanest small bookshelf speaker I've heard; but I'd buy Harman Sound Sticks before I ever throw down for the Zeppelin Mini

Quote:
I love B&W's traditional stereo speakers and if I had the money I wouldn't think twice about throwing down my cash on a set of Nautilus speakers but the iPod Zeppelin speaker was an affront to my ears. I dunno maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back