Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #5,102 of 5,138
Apologies, i meant to say nearly 2 years. Point stands though it is a considerable time lapse to correct a production issue and a relatively simple one at that. B & W response is pretty negligable.

Is still more close to one year than 2 actually, or exactly 1.5 years (not close to one or two).

This problem people only start reporting about 6-7 months ago. By this time B&W have very many new units already constructed and a decision of cancelling all of them is unrealistic from business point of view (because you have no danger for the user).

First B&W must corroborating that this is a real sufficiently common problem. Then, if this is the case, decide start making better units while hoping people will not returning so many of the old defective units. And, if people returning many defective units, B&W can simply substituting each one and absorb the cost of this.

For your information, I'm not a PX8 fan at all (people in this thread know this very well and several big fans of this headphone don't liking my posts), but, at the same time, is not true that this problem is happening for almost 2 years and expecting corrective action when first reports are happening only 6-7 months ago.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #5,103 of 5,138
Is still more close to one year than 2 actually, or exactly 1.5 years (not close to one or two).

This problem people only start reporting about 6-7 months ago. By this time B&W have very many new units already constructed and a decision of cancelling all of them is unrealistic from business point of view (because you have no danger for the user).

First B&W must corroborating that this is a real sufficiently common problem. Then, if this is the case, decide start making better units while hoping people will not returning so many of the old defective units. And, if people returning many defective units, B&W can simply substituting each one and absorb the cost of this.

For your information, I'm not a PX8 fan at all (people in this thread know this very well and often don't liking my posts) but, at the same time, is unrealistic saying that this problem is happening for almost 2 years.
Appreciate your point of view, but we will have to agree to disagree. I actually work in quality control in a large commercial construction company and for this to be going on for so long is totally unacceptable. In any other industry models would be amended or recalled. we can argue about exact dates forever but the fact is it is a considerable time line and B&W should have corrected it. Simple as that really, whilst people continue to accept sub standard products or home remedy them why would they? I am a fan of the PX8 however after now returning a third pair all with the same issue I refuse to waste more of my precious time doing it again so it is a sale lost not that B&W seem to care a fig. Lets not forget either that this is supposed to be a premium product in the Bluetooth headphone market.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #5,104 of 5,138
Appreciate your point of view, but we will have to agree to disagree. I actually work in quality control in a large commercial construction company and for this to be going on for so long is totally unacceptable. In any other industry models would be amended or recalled. we can argue about exact dates forever but the fact is it is a considerable time line and B&W should have corrected it. Simple as that really, whilst people continue to accept sub standard products or home remedy them why would they? I am a fan of the PX8 however after now returning a third pair all with the same issue I refuse to waste more of my precious time doing it again so it is a sale lost not that B&W seem to care a fig. Lets not forget either that this is supposed to be a premium product in the Bluetooth headphone market.

I will not mentioning my credentials in the business world because...well, this is the internet and/or because is simply not necessary.

This problem is not representing a health problem for the user, and this is a critical aspect in the decision of the company for taking (quick) action or not, independently of ethical behaviour. Is this headband problem being reported in major news publications?? No. Is this problem, if is not solved right now, affecting B&W's reputation and/or revenue? Very, very probably not.

Where I will agreeing with you is that for a top of line product, this is completely unacceptable, BUT even very more unacceptable if B&W making the substitution process of the product (very) difficult AND taking long time, and/or making the user paying for return shipping costs.

The truth is that we seeing similar problems in others very reputable companies (Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Apple, etc.), but, I must insisting that if this isn't a health / danger problem...

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #5,105 of 5,138
I will not mentioning my credentials in the business world because...well, this is the internet and/or because is simply not necessary.

This problem is not representing a health problem for the user, and this is a critical aspect in the decision of the company for taking (quick) action or not, independently of ethical behaviour. Is this headband problem being reported in major news publications?? No. Is this problem, if is not solved right now, affecting B&W's reputation and/or revenue? Very, very probably not.

Where I will agreeing with you is that for a top of line product, this is completely unacceptable, BUT even very more unacceptable if B&W making the substitution process of the product (very) difficult AND taking long time, and/or making the user paying for return shipping costs.

The truth is that we seeing similar problems in others very reputable companies (Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Apple, etc.), but, I must insisting that if this isn't a health / danger problem...
Like I said we will have to agree to disagree as I don't agree with you. You are simply not receiving the premium product you paid for and it is certainly not achieving a reasonable "shelf life" when used in the correct manner. I don't think "health risk" comes into the equation as a product of this type is extremely unlikely to be a health risk. If a premier company cant bond a bit of leather to a bit of plastic efficiently and with the required strength it says a lot about the manufacturing procedure and even more about the quality control. The return/replacement process isn't the best either. The B&W customer service leaves a bit to be desired to say the least. Like I said whilst people put up with it or fix themselves I'm sure B&W won't worry too much. Anyway another 6 months or so and the PX8 will probably be superseded, this will pretty much die a death and B&W will care even less. Problem solved.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #5,106 of 5,138
A recall wouldn't make sense unless the majority of units are failing or it is something that is guaranteed to happen. There are lots of products that don't get recalled as issues do not pose a risk to the user or the safety of others. We do not know the failure rate, only B&W and major retailers would know that. It could be 0.1% or it could be 5%. People having issues are much more likely to post about it than people who have no issues at all.

Mine have held up just fine and I've had them for around 1.5 years with lots of usage. Still have approx.. 4.5 years left on my warranty so not that worried either.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #5,107 of 5,138
A recall wouldn't make sense unless the majority of units are failing or it is something that is guaranteed to happen. There are lots of products that don't get recalled as issues do not pose a risk to the user or the safety of others. We do not know the failure rate, only B&W and major retailers would know that. It could be 0.1% or it could be 5%. People having issues are much more likely to post about it than people who have no issues at all.

Mine have held up just fine and I've had them for around 1.5 years with lots of usage. Still have approx.. 4.5 years left on my warranty so not that worried either.
Where are you located that you have a six year warranty? We only get two years here in the US (my warranty ends this November) and, when I had to return my first pair for the battery issue, they made me jump through all sorts of hoops and did not make it easy to get them to pay for shipping.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #5,108 of 5,138

It seems you are one of the fortunate ones, hope it stays that way. three from three for me same problem on all three. Obviously you are unlikely to post if you have no issues. Its a problem, it happens. That's not the real issue its the fact that its hardly been addressed or acknowledged by B&W. There not selling millions of these and it is a real issue for those that have it. If it happens to you it gets worse very quickly once it starts to go. If your happy your happy, if your not your not and you have every right to expect a decent and reasonable outcome.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #5,109 of 5,138
Where are you located that you have a six year warranty? We only get two years here in the US (my warranty ends this November) and, when I had to return my first pair for the battery issue, they made me jump through all sorts of hoops and did not make it easy to get them to pay for shipping.
My point exactly, the customer service is lacking. Also only had a two year warranty. My first pair lasted over 12 months the second & third pair lasted a few weeks each before the first signs were visible.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #5,110 of 5,138
I have replaced mine with new pair. If these broke il try to fix them and post pictures of procedure. I already bought Loctite Super Power Gel Control special made for leather bonding. I guess you must use 2 part pry plastic tool, and when you insert them in the middle of headband use screw driver between them to separate band.This way you don't interact directly with leather on bands but only with pry plastic to expand them up and down.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #5,111 of 5,138
In Norway, but it is the dealer that offers 6 years warranty not the law.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #5,112 of 5,138
In Norway, but it is the dealer that offers 6 years warranty not the law.
Its important to note that Norway gives a Warranty of 5 years on electronics that should last, Hi-Fi klubben adds an additional year. This store is awesome. When the handle on my PX7 Carbons failed, and they couldnt fix it they offered money back or switch, so I switched to PX8 with the price difference, and have been happy with these since, think I’ve had them for 1 1/2 years, finally some BWs that arent faulty out the box and last.

Besides the PX7 and PX8, I also bought my P5, PX, Dalis Lektor 8, 4-5 earbuds some of which were wireless, and a speaker amp from them, some replacement pads and small stuff also. When I first got my PX (the OG PX). They failed right out the box, I got it by mail and went to one of their stores and they switched it to a new PX right then and there, the ANC was broken.

The P5s I bought had a faulty speaker on the right side, noticed it after 2 hours (after purchase, 10 mins after opening) and went back, they switched it right there, and this was at another location.

So P5,PX, PX7 all failed two of them right out the box and Hi-fi klubben sorted it out without hassle, at two different location even, that tells you the chain appreciates and cares for you as a costumer.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #5,114 of 5,138
I sold my PX8 in favour of a USB-DAC, the fiio KA5, and a pair of good old headphones. I never get comfortable with the PX8, sadly. Now listening to more "HiFi" sound.
Pretty much what I did in the end, after 3 failures I picked up a set of Meze 109 pros at a steal and a decent dongle DAC. and actually saved a couple of hundred pounds. My PX8's were only ever used around the house so it was no big deal to go back to portable/wired. Cant say I miss the portability around the house and I have a decent set of noise cancelling Sony wireless earbuds which are perfectly acceptable for travel (planes/trains etc.) and in many ways (particularly when out walking) are way more convenient than the PX8. The 109's though a different headphone smash the PX8 for sound and build quality.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #5,115 of 5,138
Its important to note that Norway gives a Warranty of 5 years on electronics that should last, Hi-Fi klubben adds an additional year. This store is awesome. When the handle on my PX7 Carbons failed, and they couldnt fix it they offered money back or switch, so I switched to PX8 with the price difference, and have been happy with these since, think I’ve had them for 1 1/2 years, finally some BWs that arent faulty out the box and last.

Besides the PX7 and PX8, I also bought my P5, PX, Dalis Lektor 8, 4-5 earbuds some of which were wireless, and a speaker amp from them, some replacement pads and small stuff also. When I first got my PX (the OG PX). They failed right out the box, I got it by mail and went to one of their stores and they switched it to a new PX right then and there, the ANC was broken.

The P5s I bought had a faulty speaker on the right side, noticed it after 2 hours (after purchase, 10 mins after opening) and went back, they switched it right there, and this was at another location.

So P5,PX, PX7 all failed two of them right out the box and Hi-fi klubben sorted it out without hassle, at two different location even, that tells you the chain appreciates and cares for you as a costumer.

Edit: spelling
It is incorrect that you get 5 years of warranty. It is typically 2 years of warranty and and the rest you of those 5 years you may have to fight for it. Warranty is when the burden of proof is on the dealer and after that the burden of proof switches to the user. Basically for the first 2 years the dealer must prove that customer misused the product to deny repairs. After the warranty years the customer needs to show that it is a flaw with the product. A lot of stores are much easier to deal with inside the warranty period while you might have to be persistent after the warranty period.

Hi-Fi klubben has always been a pleasure to deal with and never had any issues with them on a few repairs for transformers that started humming after a 3-4 years and similar over a 25 year period. Hi-Fi stores in general are service oriented as they know they are selling luxury products and reputation is important. I have had issues with some other electronic stores where I've had long discussions due to the product being outside of the 2 years warranty as the store wasn't keen to admit it was a product defect and tried to blame wear and tear on moving parts even though the product was spotless on the outside and should last for much longer than it did. The stores usually accept responsibility if you are persistent enough, but they don't want to absorb the cost after the manufacturer warranty has expired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back