Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #4,876 of 5,138
Hi there!
I'm looking for a dongle for my Px8. Use case: music during working hours + (video) calls. Latency not important, unless it ruins video call experience. Stability is critical, I don't want to have clicks & pops as well as problems with switching to HFP mode.
Please advise what would work best for above scenario: Creative BT-W5 or Sennheiser BTD 600? :)
I've been using the BT-W5 for two weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Great for music especially. Has been very stable so far, too. Cannot comment on the BTD 600.

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,878 of 5,138
Im also using BT-W5 with PX8 on Playstation 5 and no issue whatsoever. What i found really astonishing that there is no noticeable lag with Aptx adaptive in high quality. On the other hand there is very high lag with B&W H95 and BT-W5 combo in HQ mode.
Hi
I am interested in minimal lag. Can you describe your high quality chain of equipment/software in more detail. Thx

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,879 of 5,138
Hi
I am interested in minimal lag. Can you describe your high quality chain of equipment/software in more detail. Thx
There is not much to describe. Just pure old Playstation 5 with BT-W5 in usb-c port. px8 = no lag in games (HQ), h95 noticeable lag in HQ mode. For music im using MacBook Pro M2 Max ,audirvana origin player and local HQ flac music files (24/192).No lag on both headphones with Mac BT 5.3 inbuilt. I tried to use usb-c to usb-c cable with both headphones and didn't notice any difference in sound.

For PX8 i would like just to add that there is strong sharpness in highs which i don't really like. I found it annoying , and tbh H95 is much better in sound department. They have so much warmer sound it is pleasure to listen. Bass is killingly precise . But for some odd reason i decided to keep them both. PX8 feels so much lighter on head and i have feeling that sound stage is much better.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #4,880 of 5,138
Hi there!
I'm looking for a dongle for my Px8. Use case: music during working hours + (video) calls. Latency not important, unless it ruins video call experience. Stability is critical, I don't want to have clicks & pops as well as problems with switching to HFP mode.
Please advise what would work best for above scenario: Creative BT-W5 or Sennheiser
I have both and I think the Creative BT-W5 is better. It sounds better and has a sound stage. The range is also good.
Vocals sounds great.
You can adjust many settings via the app. However, as I don't like this, I have switched off all the sound improvements on the BT-W5 and use it in aptx adaptive HQ mode.

The Sennheiser BTD600 is practically unusable with the PX8 after the firmware update to aptx adaptive HQ. There are sound dropouts and the range is significantly shorter.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,881 of 5,138
I have both and I think the Creative BT-W5 is better. It sounds better and has a sound stage. The range is also good.
Vocals sounds great.
You can adjust many settings via the app. However, as I don't like this, I have switched off all the sound improvements on the BT-W5 and use it in aptx adaptive HQ mode.

The Sennheiser BTD600 is practically unusable with the PX8 after the firmware update to aptx adaptive HQ. There are sound dropouts and the range is significantly shorter.
Thanks for sharing!
Did you experience any issues with that Auto HFP Mode check enabled? I had BT-W5 from the very first batch, but for me that auto profile switch worked one or twice shortly after tweaking in the app, and then stopped until next tweaking. With many more other issues it was returned back as result. I really hope it's flawless nowadays...

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #4,882 of 5,138

For PX8 i would like just to add that there is strong sharpness in highs which i don't really like. I found it annoying , and tbh H95 is much better in sound department. They have so much warmer sound it is pleasure to listen. Bass is killingly precise . But for some odd reason i decided to keep them both. PX8 feels so much lighter on head and i have feeling that sound stage is much better.
weird. Sharp highs is the opposite of what I hear with PX8.

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #4,884 of 5,138
Dec 16, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #4,885 of 5,138
weird. Sharp highs is the opposite of what I hear with PX8.
I have my PX8 EQ set to +2db treble, and -6db bass. That suits my old ears perfectly.

I trust that they have been broken in to allow the drivers to reach optimum flexibility.

EDIT: settled on +1db Treble, and -6db Bass :)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #4,889 of 5,138
BTW: When using the PX8 wireless via an iPhone... enable lossless audio when using Apple Music since the AAC files are re-encoded before transmitting (AAC -> AAC). When you use lossless files as source material the encoding is done only once (lossless -> AAC).

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4,890 of 5,138
BTW: When using the PX8 wireless via an iPhone... enable lossless audio when using Apple Music since the AAC files are re-encoded before transmitting (AAC -> AAC). When you use lossless files as source material the encoding is done only once (lossless -> AAC).
You can, but you’re assuming that one re-encode of a high quality AAC would ever be perceptually noticeable. Additionally, lossless files (regardless of tier) will place a higher load on bandwidth and battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back