Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,756 of 5,138
Had another go on these in store yesterday. I think this model may have had the new firmware as it sounded different to the other Burgundy ones I'd tried. Sounded definitely wider, less dark overall. Is it me or have vocals been pushed back a fair bit? Shame as the intimate vocals were a strong point of the PX8's sound. With that said I'd probably get less listening fatigue with the new soung sig, and I love the design so will probably grab a set.

To me the vocals were always pushed back a tad with the PX8 (latest firmware), its the first difference I noticed when comparing my Px7s2s where the vocals are more up front and clearer.

Its not a negative thing though the PX8 has very good layering, everything appears in the right position and level while with the px7s2s its more thrown out everywhere, with Px8s it allows overall more clarity imo due to this layering.

I hope B&W continue to improve their Px7/8+ line up with the updated new technology coming in next year, hopefully its got bluetooth 5.4, LC3 and LC3+ LE audio codecs and just for icing on the cake, Snapdragon S7 support for wifi audio.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #4,757 of 5,138
The funny thing is that I have the possibility to compare two black PX8 with the same firmware and they sound different. One is from last year and one from September 2023.
I like personally think that the PX8 from 2023 sound’s much better for my ears. The sound stage is much wider, vocals and acoustic instruments are really nice.
The sound signature is really nice!
Headband issue is still a problem for both.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #4,758 of 5,138
Does anyone know if the PX8 consumes more battery in standby when left to auto-shutdown?

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #4,759 of 5,138
Does anyone know if the PX8 consumes more battery in standby when left to auto-shutdown?
FWIW, no scientific testing, but I do know that when I consistently shut off the headphones after use, I see slightly better battery life than when I tend to forget. Not dramatic, but I do think there is a difference and can go longer between charges.

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #4,761 of 5,138
Completely random… But is anyone interested in my McLaren edition Px8’s? I want the burgundy ones I’ll just go ahead and say it I like them I like the way they look I want them so if I’m going to buy them I would need to get rid of the ones I have and there’s got to be someone here who’s been lurking that wants them lol For way below the usual

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #4,762 of 5,138
Completely random… But is anyone interested in my McLaren edition Px8’s? I want the burgundy ones I’ll just go ahead and say it I like them I like the way they look I want them so if I’m going to buy them I would need to get rid of the ones I have and there’s got to be someone here who’s been lurking that wants them lol For way below the usual
PM’ed! I’ve been a lurker and interested in a pair.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #4,763 of 5,138
Do any of you use the PX8 with DAPs like the SR35 or any other? I am considering buying one, but I do not know if it is overkill as the SR35 has aptxHD, which I would use primarily in Bluetooth mode with the PX8.
I use exactly this combination of PX8 headphones with the SR35 and Tidal as streaming service. Before I used my Samsung phone and connected via BT and I had the same question like you weather or not an investment in a DAP makes sense. To make it short. It will definitely boost your sound quality to another level if you are using a cabled connection i.e. 3,5mm to USB-C on the PX8. If you want to use mainly BT, you better save the money for a DAP. While using BT, the sound processing is not being done via the Quad DAC of the SR35 which is basically the main element for the sound quality increase. Secondly, the PX8 does not support LDAC connection from the SR35 but "only" "aptX Adaptive". Anyways, I assume even with a stable LDAC connection you would not really benefit in terms of sound quality. I could at least not figure any difference between phone or SR35 if connected via BT when it comes to sound quality. To sum up, if you use the analog connection (i.e. 3.5mm to USB-C) between the SR35 and the PX8, you will never want to go back to BT as the sound quality is significantly better being processed by 4 x CS43198 Cirrus Logic sound processors than via BT. I also read in the forum, that integrated DAC of the PX8 cannot be bypassed. Eventually I just misinterpreted that but the elementary use case in this scenario just is to use the analog audio connection between the SR35 and the PX8. The DAC of the SR35 does all the work to transform the digital source into an analog signal which you route directly into your PX8. I use the 3.5mm to USB-C cable that came with the PX8 and it works perfect. Another advantage of a DAP would be the possibility to store large amount of audio files directly on the device if that is something for you. My personal motivation using a dedicated DAP is solely the excellent sound quality the SR35 provides. I would never go back to phone and BT. Hope that helps

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #4,764 of 5,138
So I won a pair of AirPods Pro 2… The USB-C charging ones the brand new ones with the upgraded architecture and when they are properly sealed in my ears with the proper EQ I have to be honest they really don’t sound 1 million times worse than my PX8’s I mean sure you can tell a difference, but it’s not so noticeable that I’m instantly reaching for the big boys every time… When you have an iPhone, they really do integrate seamlessly, software, and hardware wise. It’s a lil depressing on one hand to see how close it really is, but also exciting

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #4,765 of 5,138
So I won a pair of AirPods Pro 2… The USB-C charging ones the brand new ones with the upgraded architecture and when they are properly sealed in my ears with the proper EQ I have to be honest they really don’t sound 1 million times worse than my PX8’s I mean sure you can tell a difference, but it’s not so noticeable that I’m instantly reaching for the big boys every time… When you have an iPhone, they really do integrate seamlessly, software, and hardware wise. It’s a lil depressing on one hand to see how close it really is, but also exciting
Yeah they are fine for podcasts 😂😀

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #4,767 of 5,138
They are more fine than I want to admit for actual music as well… Again I mean, when properly EQ’d which is a task in and of itself lol
I think that people bashing them and saying that they’re really bad for music either didn’t try them or don’t have the right tips for good seal etc. I do think that some over-ears are better but APP2 are really good for their price/features imo.

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #4,768 of 5,138
I think that people bashing them and saying that they’re really bad for music either didn’t try them or don’t have the right tips for good seal etc. I do think that some over-ears are better but APP2 are really good for their price/features imo.
I’m specifically talking about the newest model with USB-C charging, which is confusing because Apple doesn’t differentiate enough on the website but they do have a different chip and some different driver configurations apparently not that you would know that because Apple doesn’t highlight it which is even more annoying. These are really like the third generation of AirPods Pro instead of the second generation with USB-C charging, I noticed a difference between these and previous AirPods Pro that I have owned

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #4,769 of 5,138
I’m specifically talking about the newest model with USB-C charging, which is confusing because Apple doesn’t differentiate enough on the website but they do have a different chip and some different driver configurations apparently not that you would know that because Apple doesn’t highlight it which is even more annoying. These are really like the third generation of AirPods Pro instead of the second generation with USB-C charging, I noticed a difference between these and previous AirPods Pro that I have owned
I’m curious about the 3rd generation difference. I recently flew from Canada to Europe and wanted to travel light, so left my PX8s behind and brought a new pair of 2nd gen Air Pod Pros. I found they were fine for music, but definitely not outstanding, and the noise cancelling was not great. Since being home I’ve really enjoyed my PX8s, especially wired.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #4,770 of 5,138
I’m curious about the 3rd generation difference. I recently flew from Canada to Europe and wanted to travel light, so left my PX8s behind and brought a new pair of 2nd gen Air Pod Pros. I found they were fine for music, but definitely not outstanding, and the noise cancelling was not great. Since being home I’ve really enjoyed my PX8s, especially wired.
This, I think APP2 can create an illusion of being 'good enough' while you listen, as they are undoubtebly very solid. And the cognitive easing is a huge factor too.

But when I use a PX8, or even a better tws like PI7, or a wired iem in the $200-300 category, I notice I am much more involved in the music than when using APP2. It's just a more attention grabbing, head filling experience.

Not to knock APP2, but there are much better options for music and PX8 is one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back