Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #4,726 of 5,138
After months of research and indecision I finally pulled the trigger and ordered PX8 (black - love the tan look but am afraid it will show dirt). Coming from XM2s I’m expecting great things!

I ordered them from Richer Sounds as they confirmed in writing that their returns policy applies to over-ear headphones (just not in-ear). Not clear from their website tbh.

A huge thank you to everyone here for reviews which have been really helpful. I’m a bit worried about the glue issue with headband and earcups but hopefully Richer Sounds will be easy to deal with if they do need repairing/replacing.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #4,727 of 5,138
A huge thank you to everyone here for reviews which have been really helpful. I’m a bit worried about the glue issue with headband and earcups but hopefully Richer Sounds will be easy to deal with if they do need repairing/replacing.
Havent heard about any issues with ear cups?

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #4,728 of 5,138
A Reddit user referred to the glue on the headband and earcups of their PX7 S2 coming apart so, given the reported headband issues with the PX8 I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the earcups might also be affected.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #4,729 of 5,138
A Reddit user referred to the glue on the headband and earcups of their PX7 S2 coming apart so, given the reported headband issues with the PX8 I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the earcups might also be affected.
Yeah dont think that would be a common issue. Keep the headphones out of the rain and dont go a beach gym i Dubai and they should last longer. 😅

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4,731 of 5,138
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #4,732 of 5,138
I had a pair of older P5 many years ago that developed a very bad melted glue issue under the ear pads. Had it replaced under warranty, and they did indeed ask for receipt from authorized dealer. My P7W also developed a tiny bit of glue undone, but it is very minor and doesn't affect usage whatsoever. None of my other numerous B&W headphones and speakers had issues at all. The Px8 have been nothing but solid for me.

Speaking of the P7W, connected them up wired this weekend for fun to compare again to the Px8 (and P9). It is very noticeable how much more accurate and tight the bass is on the Px8 while still being deep and how they've improved the treble in their drivers over the years. The P7W treble comes across shouty at times and thin whereas the Px8 are so much smoother and warm, and not at a loss for detail. All the while wireless.

Amazon has been having great pricing at $519 for the tan Px8 over the last couple weeks here and there. Someone convince me NOT to sell my black pair for one..

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #4,733 of 5,138
I had a pair of older P5 many years ago that developed a very bad melted glue issue under the ear pads. Had it replaced under warranty, and they did indeed ask for receipt from authorized dealer. My P7W also developed a tiny bit of glue undone, but it is very minor and doesn't affect usage whatsoever. None of my other numerous B&W headphones and speakers had issues at all. The Px8 have been nothing but solid for me.

Speaking of the P7W, connected them up wired this weekend for fun to compare again to the Px8 (and P9). It is very noticeable how much more accurate and tight the bass is on the Px8 while still being deep and how they've improved the treble in their drivers over the years. The P7W treble comes across shouty at times and thin whereas the Px8 are so much smoother and warm, and not at a loss for detail. All the while wireless.

Amazon has been having great pricing at $519 for the tan Px8 over the last couple weeks here and there. Someone convince me NOT to sell my black pair for one..
That tan are gorgeous just get em.

Howd you feel about the P9 comparison? I've been on the P9s lately, I can say hand on heart they're one of my favourite pieces of audio gear ever. I'd say Utopia, P9 and Solaris all have a special spot for me

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #4,735 of 5,138
Oct 23, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #4,738 of 5,138
Did a very un-scientific test of battery life. Listening time per session 1:00 to 2:00 hours, ANC on, volume… quite high…

37 hours with 33% battery life left

Good enough for me… 🙈
Similar results myself, but been noticing a decrease in battery life after using the Px8 solely on AptX lately. Not sure if it's just me, but also need to do some un-scientific tests myself. Could also be because I've been using them extra hours that I hadn't before.
That tan are gorgeous just get em.

Howd you feel about the P9 comparison? I've been on the P9s lately, I can say hand on heart they're one of my favourite pieces of audio gear ever. I'd say Utopia, P9 and Solaris all have a special spot for me
The P9 will always be special to me as well and will never be sold! They have the best separation by far out of all B&W headphones and the big sound signature they give off can't be replicated in any of the others (this is its crown jewel/party trick). Also separates itself from the pack based the bass for sure. Though the Px8 can have a bit more impact/slam depending on the track, the P9 leaves it in the dust when comparing the quality and how much deeper it goes.

The only reason I don't use them as much as I used to is convenience reasons solely. For absolute sound quality, I would have to still give it to the P9 if I could choose only one, even if it can show warts on occasion, and even though the Px8 I think has the upper hand in the mids as far as versatility/compatibility with the widest range of tracks goes. Even then, the P9 are still very polarizing I think mostly because certain types of music just don't sound ideal on them IMO (hard rock, electronic, heavy metal and such). Some really fast and forward stuff tends to smear. But yeh, for all intents and purposes, for my musical tastes, I'd give my nod to the P9 as much as I enjoy the Px8 and use the Px8 much much more.

Side note: I've always noticed the P9 don't take to EQ very well at all to my ears unlike the Px8. More than 0.5 db in either direction for anything throws off the sound signature and it becomes really weird and unnatural sounding. It's like the engineers dialed it in this manner and they wanted to make sure the headphones sounded this way. But they knew what they were doing as far as I'm concerned!

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,739 of 5,138
Similar results myself, but been noticing a decrease in battery life after using the Px8 solely on AptX lately. Not sure if it's just me, but also need to do some un-scientific tests myself. Could also be because I've been using them extra hours that I hadn't before.

The P9 will always be special to me as well and will never be sold! They have the best separation by far out of all B&W headphones and the big sound signature they give off can't be replicated in any of the others (this is its crown jewel/party trick). Also separates itself from the pack based the bass for sure. Though the Px8 can have a bit more impact/slam depending on the track, the P9 leaves it in the dust when comparing the quality and how much deeper it goes.

The only reason I don't use them as much as I used to is convenience reasons solely. For absolute sound quality, I would have to still give it to the P9 if I could choose only one, even if it can show warts on occasion, and even though the Px8 I think has the upper hand in the mids as far as versatility/compatibility with the widest range of tracks goes. Even then, the P9 are still very polarizing I think mostly because certain types of music just don't sound ideal on them IMO (hard rock, electronic, heavy metal and such). Some really fast and forward stuff tends to smear. But yeh, for all intents and purposes, for my musical tastes, I'd give my nod to the P9 as much as I enjoy the Px8 and use the Px8 much much more.

Side note: I've always noticed the P9 don't take to EQ very well at all to my ears unlike the Px8. More than 0.5 db in either direction for anything throws off the sound signature and it becomes really weird and unnatural sounding. It's like the engineers dialed it in this manner and they wanted to make sure the headphones sounded this way. But they knew what they were doing as far as I'm concerned!
Agreed, P9 is flawed at times but clearly a unique experience and can sound absolutely huge at times, in a way the PX8 just can't touch. Movie watching with P9 is something else and I choose them for movies over anything i own, Utopia included.

Good to hear you're thoughts!

I need to do a px8 p9 sit down again. I think PX8 is a bit clearer and more energetic/bright sound. Whereas the P9 is very coloured, but technically a notch above, especially in detail and spaciousness.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #4,740 of 5,138
He was pointing out a very reasonable competitor that may be worth considering for some folks who check out this thread.
I tried the new QC ultra briefly. Excellent comfort, strong ANC, as usual with Bose. Better build quality than the cheaper Bose models but lots of plastic still and nowhere near the solid leather and metal build of B&W PX8. I would even say that PX7S2 feels substantially sturdier.
And sound is not even close. Bose never changed the old drivers from QC700 and well, they sound very Bose. I would pit them against Sony, maybe Apple but not B&W, they are way different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back