Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Sep 12, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,441 of 5,138
Sep 12, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #4,443 of 5,138
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #4,444 of 5,138
@Vette72 you can use "Sound Assistant" app developed by Samsung to have additional customization of sound related features including numeric display of volume steps in volume bar.
https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.soundassistant
Just installed the app. The most useful thing I found so far was the ability to change the volume steps. My phone was set at '10', which resulted in larger steps. I've changed it to '1' and now the volume change occurs much more gradually. Thanks again! This was very helpful!

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #4,445 of 5,138
I actually just put an order in for the MW75 a couple days ago and am anxiously awaiting their delivery. I’m loving my PX8 but am looking forward to what I hope will be a bit more of a “fun” and engaging sound in the 75’s (some boosted sub bass perhaps). Would you mind describing some of the differences you noticed between the two. Thanks!
For the record I did cave and re-ordered the Px8 the McLaren edition vs. the James Bond edition.
Please know aI use the MW75 with the ear cup hack of a MG20 ear cups-needed for a better over the ear fit-at least for my ears-further. Note per the hacking advice the white cloth mesh should be removed and fit is friction not magnetic). This was a tip I got from a fellow Headfi aficionado.

IMHO the MW75 sounds a little less rich across the spectrum than the Px8. This is not a criticism at all. Know that I have yet to find a headphone that can do it all.

One plus for the MW I can listen to the MW75's for longer stretches compared to the Px8. For travel, I usually go with the Px8 for a little more fun, and of course thinner carry case. And frankly the previously mentioned thicker ear pad hack for the MW75 does make me look a little goofy in public. :)

As they say "your mileage may differ". I hope others will add to the discussion!

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #4,446 of 5,138
Hello Everyone,

My first post here and reading through the forum, glad I joined here. Got my px8 McLaren edition 2 days back and started listening my usual music. Was using Bose QC35 and wanted to upgrade and hence the px.

Few things Wanted to ask the forum -

1. Do these headphones need break-in time? if yes, how long typically are those? Off the box, px8 don’t blow me away like I expected after spending so much and some songs indeed sounded better in Bose.
2. Is it true that we cannot play hi-res audio in these? I did buy an external DAC for wired connection and did not see any difference in the sound quality. My primary source is Apple Music and use iPhone 14 to listen.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #4,447 of 5,138
Hello Everyone,

My first post here and reading through the forum, glad I joined here. Got my px8 McLaren edition 2 days back and started listening my usual music. Was using Bose QC35 and wanted to upgrade and hence the px.

1. Do these headphones need break-in time? if yes, how long typically are those? Off the box, px8 don’t blow me away like I expected after spending so much and some songs indeed sounded better in Bose.
2. Is it true that we cannot play hi-res audio in these? I did buy an external DAC for wired connection and did not see any difference in the sound quality. My primary source is Apple Music and use iPhone 14 to listen.
I think you're probably just v used to the Bose. This is very common when people get new headphones and are used to just one/new to the hobby.

I've seen people say they think the XM4 is better than a Stellia, because they're used to the former. Give it a few solid listening sessions and they always change their mind lol.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #4,448 of 5,138
Hello Everyone,

1. Give them a few hours, maybe up to 20-30. The pads will also soften and form to your ears to improve both the seal and comfort. I had a noticable improvement after a week or two.
Bose QC35 do a few things really really well, but audio reproduction is not one of these things. 😁 Your own preference and what you are used to may require some burn in though. The PX8 has a very different sound signature vs Bose, most people will appreciate it but not everyone.

2. Well an external DAC wont do you any good since the internal DAC/AMP cannot be bypassed. Best audio quality is achieved through USB-C to USB-C and with lossless sources of course.
The 3,5 mm plug is basically a solution for flights and will not improve the audio, technically. It may allow you to color the sound but it will not give you better resolution.

Also, as you may know, iPhone is limited to the AAC codec. It sound pretty good on the Px8 but is technically inferior to the higher res APT-X adaptive codec.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #4,449 of 5,138
Hello Everyone,

I’ll add briefly to what others have said about the sound signature…it’s warm. It’s very warm and deeply rich. If you’re used to the brightness of Bose and other such sound signatures…you’ll find these maybe slightly dull to start. Give them time and it’ll be great.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #4,450 of 5,138
Hello Everyone,

I had the same reaction on my first listen to the PX8 ( 007 Edition) when I received them a few weeks ago. I was expecting to be blown away considering what I paid for them but my initial thought was that they just sounded ok. I actually preferred my in ear PI7 S2 at first. After about a week however the sound greatly improved for me. I don't know if it was my mind getting used to the sound signature (brain burn-in), the drivers burning in, the ear pads softening or a combination of the three. I just know that now going from the PX8 to the PI7 S2, the latter sounds a bit bright and tiny by comparison. I prefer the smoother/warmer sound signature of the PX8. So like others have said, just give them some time.

Also, for me, I find that fit plays a factor in affecting the sound as well. Coming from strictly using in ear monitors, I was used to the sound reaching my inner ear in a more direct path. The PX8 is my first over ear headphone and I had to get used to how the sound now had to travel through the ear cups and my outer ear first. I have average size ears that I can fit completely inside the ear cups. Due to the way the drivers sit at an angle, I personally find that I get the best sound when my ears are a bit closer to the drivers. If my ears are sitting near the back of the ear cups and further away from the drivers the sound becomes a bit airy and echoey. Just my personal experience.

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #4,454 of 5,138
I just pray for a PX9 haha
On that note, I just posted in the P9 thread.
Do you still have your P9s?

If you had to summarize the main differences between PX8 and P9 (aside from the obvious lack of BT and ANC in the latter), how would you do it?

I have a chance to buy a used pair of P9 for only 300USD, but of course I need to add a DAC.
I only tried them briefly and it was a long time ago. I do remember them sounding "big" and almost bombastic, yet detailed. I am not sure about the comfort, and I do love the fit and long term wearability of the PX8.
My primary use for the P9 would be stationary in my home office but I would prefer the ability to use them with an iPhone and a portable DAC/AMP.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #4,455 of 5,138
On that note, I just posted in the P9 thread.
Do you still have your P9s?

If you had to summarize the main differences between PX8 and P9 (aside from the obvious lack of BT and ANC in the latter), how would you do it?

I have a chance to buy a used pair of P9 for only 300USD, but of course I need to add a DAC.
I only tried them briefly and it was a long time ago. I do remember them sounding "big" and almost bombastic, yet detailed. I am not sure about the comfort, and I do love the fit and long term wearability of the PX8.
My primary use for the P9 would be stationary in my home office but I would prefer the ability to use them with an iPhone and a portable DAC/AMP.
The P9 do sound much bigger and grander than PX8. They are more detailed, noticably so, and have better timbre. The presence of the bass on some tracks is too much, on others its brilliant. Where they are good they are one of my favourite headphones, with vocals especially they are just divine.

Give them a week to settle in and you'll see they're in many ways a far better PX8, but with a different signature. They're unique and at 300usd a steal. They don't really need a DAC to sound great, there is one in the B&W aux cable anyway, which they've tuned for the P9. They sound great off an Apple dongle.

They are far from reference though, like PX8. It is a flavour of sound. Convince me audio did a good review of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back