Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Aug 31, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #4,261 of 5,138
I do like the idea of what they changed for sound in version 3, but as others have mentioned, this probably should have been a preset option, since plenty of people preferred the original tuning.
The difference is really not that dramatic and anyone who doesnt like the additional sparkle could easily dial the treble down a notch.
All in all it is a small improvement that most people would not even have noticed unless they knew it was there.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #4,262 of 5,138
All in all it is a small improvement that most people would not even have noticed unless they knew it was there.
Can confirm. I've recently bought mine, listened for maybe 1h and then updated the firmware.
Honestly, i would say they sound exactly the same. But i'm not not used the sound yet and still experimenting with the EQ settings (settled on bass -3, treble +1 for now).

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #4,265 of 5,138
You need Bowers & Wilkins music apk.
Connect to the internet, start the app with the headphones connected, in the settings it will notify you about the update available.
Thx, but I think I've tried that...
My iPhone connected to the internet, headphones on, started the Music app... and nada. Played with the idea of deleting the app and download it again, but didn't cause the app in App Store comes with the previous upgrade.

Edit: I wasnt notified but all of a sudden, the app now shows that I'm on 3.0. Weird... now it's back on 2.2.1

Edit2: In the app, under "Tap for details"which brings up HARDWARE with serial number, mac-address and "Software version" showing 3.0.0
But, under the heading SUPPORT the Version is 2.2.1

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #4,267 of 5,138
I honestly really like the 3.0 update. Definitely less mid-bass which opened up the rest of the spectrum. Quite a bit more energy up top too. My Galaxy Buds Pro2 which are the best sounding wireless earbuds in my opinion, sound slightly mid-bass heavy now after listening to the PX8.

Considering B&W changed the tuning via a firmware update which should mean it's just an EQ change(?) and that they probably think that the PX8 responds well to EQ changes without any adverse effects. I would think people should feel comfortable adjusting the sound based on their preferences if they don't like the 3.0 update.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #4,268 of 5,138
I honestly really like the 3.0 update. Definitely less mid-bass which opened up the rest of the spectrum. Quite a bit more energy up top too. My Galaxy Buds Pro2 which are the best sounding wireless earbuds in my opinion, sound slightly mid-bass heavy now after listening to the PX8.

Considering B&W changed the tuning via a firmware update which should mean it's just an EQ change(?) and that they probably think that the PX8 responds well to EQ changes without any adverse effects. I would think people should feel comfortable adjusting the sound based on their preferences if they don't like the 3.0 update.

I don't think it's just an EQ change in the sense - 2-band EQ - as they provide in the app, it is software alright but I think it's a lower-level system adjustment/tuning that allowed for precise tweaking. But yeah, like others have said just lower the treble by 0.5/1 and increase the bass for those who don't like the new tuning - should result in something similar to what it sounded before.

For me the new tuning puts everything at "zero" and what the APP shows now as bass=0 treble=0 is real zero.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #4,271 of 5,138
I highly doubt that. Question is, would you hear any difference at all?

When I connect I'm informed the PX8's are connected at 96khz

1693670315895.png

1693670675958.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #4,274 of 5,138
Cool, what’s the name of the app or software you are using to get this information?
And can you really can switch it on and off?
First screen shot is from Sony Xperia 1 v as soon as the headphones are connected. Not sure if that's a Sony or Android option.

Second screen is an option in Amazon Prime Unlimited Music App.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back