Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
May 26, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #4,006 of 5,212
I'm in awe with these headphones! Very very happy! 😎
That is until I took them out for a walk... :frowning2:
I don't know what's happening but it seems I have problems with the ANC. With every other headphone that I owned, ANC canceled very well the sound of my footsteps, but now I can feel/hear that thud even more with ANC on than off. Very weird...
I saw you guys talked about this regarding the Bathys but not Px8. And generally the ANC seems very weak and prone to directional changes - like when standing outside, engine running nearby, I slightly move my head the ANC is stronger, move back - weaker...
Did anyone experience this?

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #4,007 of 5,212
I don't know what's happening but it seems I have problems with the ANC. With every other headphone that I owned, ANC canceled very well the sound of my footsteps, but now I can feel/hear that thud even more with ANC on than off. Very weird...
I saw you guys talked about this regarding the Bathys but not Px8. And generally the ANC seems very week and prone to directional changes - like when standing outside, engine running nearby, I slightly move my head the ANC is stronger, move back - weaker...
Do you wear glasses?

May 26, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #4,008 of 5,212
I saw you guys talked about this regarding the Bathys but not Px8. And generally the ANC seems very week and prone to directional changes - like when standing outside, engine running nearby, I slightly move my head the ANC is stronger, move back - weaker...
I only experienced the thud with my Bathys but not the PX8. The ANC on the PX8 was good but certainly not perfect or close to XM5 level. I didn't notice any of what you describe in terms directional changes etc but maybe you have a more discerning ear...

May 26, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4,009 of 5,212
I don't having any thudding with walking but I do notice directional changes with the ANC depending on fit. I find that if I sit them tilted forward slightly (so the earcups are more vertical and the headband is further forward) it largely resolves any issue and they're more comfortable for long sessions too. Have chalked it up to wearing glasses and a weird shaped head.

May 26, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4,010 of 5,212
I saw you guys talked about this regarding the Bathys but not Px8. And generally the ANC seems very week and prone to directional changes - like when standing outside, engine running nearby, I slightly move my head the ANC is stronger, move back - weaker... Did anyone experience this?
Yeah, I’ve noticed this with both the Px8 and the AirPods Max, specifically with higher frequency sounds. I think (someone please correct me if I’m wrong) that this is caused by the passive isolation blocking more of the sound at certain angles (eg. when something is farther from you or not directly pointed at your ear) vs. at other angles. It’s very easy to replicate when using a vacuum—at arm’s length substantially more of the sound is blocked then when it’s at your side. In my experience it seems to mostly apply to the frequency ranges that ANC doesn’t cancel out much.

I don't having any thudding with walking but I do notice directional changes with the ANC depending on fit. I find that if I sit them tilted forward slightly (so the earcups are more vertical and the headband is further forward) it largely resolves any issue and they're more comfortable for long sessions too. Have chalked it up to wearing glasses and a weird shaped head.
I wear them similarly. I’ve also found that shortening the headband a bit for a more snug fit usually helps. In my experience the footfall sound is pretty minimal.

May 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #4,011 of 5,212
Thank you all for your responses! :thumbsup:
Do you wear glasses?
No, I was not wearing glasses
That's how I wear them also, I find them most comfortable with the headband forward, and at this angle the ears align best with the space inside the ear-pads.

I also had another unit (007 edition) for test for a few days some time ago and took them for walks, don't remember experiencing this.
Did you notice any change in ANC with the new firmware? I listened to 3 songs with the old one and updated to 2.0.0

At some point I was suspecting that an ambient microphone got stuck enabled :sweat_smile: but now I think that is improbable.
I also did a factory reset.

I guess I'll experiment further with the fit, but I didn't have this problem with XM3-4-5, PX7, M3, M4.

May 26, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #4,012 of 5,212
Thank you all for your responses! :thumbsup:

No, I was not wearing glasses

That's how I wear them also, I find them most comfortable with the headband forward, and at this angle the ears align best with the space inside the ear-pads.

I also had another unit (007 edition) for test for a few days some time ago and took them for walks, don't remember experiencing this.
Did you notice any change in ANC with the new firmware? I listened to 3 songs with the old one and updated to 2.0.0

At some point I was suspecting that an ambient microphone got stuck enabled :sweat_smile: but now I think that is improbable.
I also did a factory reset.

I guess I'll experiment further with the fit, but I didn't have this problem with XM3-4-5, PX7, M3, M4.
The drivers are angled very specifically on these cans. The mics as well. It’s very true that if I don’t have them angled right I’m not getting nearly the same anc

May 26, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4,013 of 5,212
I saw you guys talked about this regarding the Bathys but not Px8. And generally the ANC seems very weak and prone to directional changes - like when standing outside, engine running nearby, I slightly move my head the ANC is stronger, move back - weaker...
Not had that issue with the PX8, but not had it with Bathys either. Probably only spent maybe 1 hour with each on foot as I mostly use them on the bus or in the office. Could very well be a head shape related issue as I have to angle them with slight toe out for them to get an ideal seal, but can't remember having a broken seal issue with either once I've adjusted them.

Don't expect game changing ANC from the PX8. It works well for bus rides etc. but compare them to XM5 and their weakness in ANC becomes obvious.

May 26, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #4,014 of 5,212
Yes, I experienced it the first 3-4 days, and got a little worried as the PX7S2 did not make those «thuds», but after a few days of using them it went away, think a little of it had to do with clamping force out the box and my big ears, after a while they «molded» and had less clamping force.

May 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #4,015 of 5,212
Suggests your fit is not good on the head. Make sure you have a good clamp, and, as much as possible, the pads cover your ears. The give away to me is your comment about directional changes, which suggests there is not a good seal on the earpads.

I returned the Bathys because the ANC warbles with footfall. Never had that problem with the PX8s.

Hope you can get a good fit.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #4,016 of 5,212
Yes, I experienced it the first 3-4 days, and got a little worried as the PX7S2 did not make those «thuds», but after a few days of using them it went away, think a little of it had to do with clamping force out the box and my big ears, after a while they «molded» and had less clamping force.

Yep! I just thought of this also - hope it sorts itself out with a little break-in of the materials.
I would be very upset if it's a bigger problem because otherwise I love the headphones.

May 26, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #4,017 of 5,212
Suggests your fit is not good on the head. Make sure you have a good clamp, and, as much as possible, the pads cover your ears. The give away to me is your comment about directional changes, which suggests there is not a good seal on the earpads.

I returned the Bathys because the ANC warbles with footfall. Never had that problem with the PX8s.

I had the same issue. Turning my head with the bathys on broke the seal and felt weird almost all the time. It was a funky experience.

May 26, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,018 of 5,212

Thank you, I appreciate! Hope it's only a fit issue and sorts itself with some break-in / wear / getting used to new headphones.

May 28, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #4,019 of 5,212
Hi all,
thanks again for all your help and suggestions regarding my ANC issue.
I'm (in a way) happy to report that it's indeed only a fit issue and not a technical problem with the ANC on the Px8.

ANC on / music off / walking / footfall thud more or less present depending on headphone position on the head and amount of headband arms extension.
When I press the lower part of the cups with my fingers, the thud is completely gone. So I hope after some use time, they will sit/mold better following my head/jaw profile.

I remember I had this problem even more when I tested the PX7 S2, they pressed much harder above the ear than below, with the PX8 it's much less because of the different ear-pad material, but still a problem for me that I hope it will sort out.

Px8-push.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #4,020 of 5,212
So earlier in the thread I expressed my surprise and disappointment that there was very little bass on my PX8's. I assumed they might be faulty, and many comments made a similar observation. So I tested another pair and .... same performance. Compared to my moms Sony XM4 cans, the PX8's are kind of bass light and I guess I just need to get used to it.

However something that I've noticed lately is whenever I turn on my headphones, the left ear cup makes a high pitched frequency noise for maybe 5-7 seconds and then it goes away but it always happens when I first turn the headphones on. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about
I get the high pitched noise too. It’s common on Bluetooth ANC devices when it’s searching for something to connect to. It goes away when it’s connected.

However, when using the Px8 in wired mode, the high pitched noise is ALWAYS there. It’s very faint, it’s not like a big whir, it’s just obvious electronic interference from the Bluetooth device itself. I’m probably going to return mine sadly, as it’s always there when using the usb c or usb c to 3.5 mm cable. It’s minor but is definitely there and it’s distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back