Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
May 14, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #3,976 of 5,215
Same for me. Became a bit of a deciding factor as the PX8 look v stylish when on.

Same for Mw75, they stick out really far and you look like a nonce with them on the go
Does nonce mean something different in the U.S.? 🤣

Just remembered you're from the UK... Do paedos wear headphones round your way?

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #3,977 of 5,215
I just had trouble with the bathys in terms of wearing them out and about. I felt like I looked like a doofus not that I was, although spending that much money on headphones might make me some sort of doofus…but just the size and shape made me look ridiculous. And yeah, anc was never great. Passable? If you weren’t in a plane sure. But just not good enough.
For me, it was the fact that the ANC on the Bathys picked up my footfall and also bumps on the road or railway tracks. That's the major reason I returned them as not a commuter headphone for me. I liked the style on my head, though. I thought Focal did a great job with the styling - I wouldn't walk about outside with the Elegia on my head, for example.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #3,978 of 5,215
For me, it was the fact that the ANC on the Bathys picked up my footfall and also bumps on the road or railway tracks. That's the major reason I returned them as not a commuter headphone for me. I liked the style on my head, though. I thought Focal did a great job with the styling - I wouldn't walk about with the Elegia on my head, for example.
That’s a much better way of putting the ANC issues that I had with it into words. I could hear myself moving about.

May 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #3,979 of 5,215
That’s a much better way of putting the ANC issues that I had with it into words. I could hear myself moving about.
Late last week, I had a quick, 10 min demo of the ML 5909s. Very intriguing. Any love for the 5909s here, or is all still about the fabled 'treble spike'? They seemed to be comfortable headphones and with a very different sound profile to either the PX8 or Bathys.

May 14, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #3,980 of 5,215
Late last week, I had a quick, 10 min demo of the ML 5909s. Very intriguing. Any love for the 5909s here, or is all still about the fabled 'treble spike'? They seemed to be comfortable headphones and with a very different sound profile to either the PX8 or Bathys.
No I think they’re very nice. Good sound. Probably the most detail out of all the high end cans but sound a little harsh to me occasionally. Lack of any eq bothers me.

May 14, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #3,981 of 5,215
Yeah there is a disconcerting thud that travels right through you as you walk, I tend not to use mine walking due to the heat here so not an issue for me. If walking with them was my primary use I'd favour the PX8 for sure.

May 15, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #3,982 of 5,215
Hi, as you see on the picture the right earcups “band arms” is raised slightly above and the left one is lower, in both positions. Also I have to touch down on the left side for it to “lay” flat. In other words its a little bit assymetrical

Picture:
BW Assymetrical

I can see that the band is also slightly slanted, maybe that’s why I have to touch down for it to lay flush, touching down does not change “arm” position.

I just exchanged the PX7S2 for these and the guys at the store are so nice so I’m a little reluctant to come back. The PX7S2 were flush, the arms perfectly mirroring each other, and no slanted band.

A fault has happened with 2/4 B&W headphones I’ve owned, this would be the third one if so. The P5S2 had right speaker blown out the box, the PXs had ANC problems, bought those from the same store actually and got them exchanged asap. The ones I had perfect out the box was PX7 and PX7S2.

Anyone who own or tried the PX8 is this normal or not? Also if you own it or not would you let it slide or exchange?

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3,983 of 5,215
Hi, as you see on the picture the right earcups “band arms” is raised slightly above and the left one is lower, in both positions. Also I have to touch down on the left side for it to “lay” flat. In other words its a little bit assymetrical

Picture:
BW Assymetrical

I can see that the band is also slightly slanted, maybe that’s why I have to touch down for it to lay flush, touching down does not change “arm” position.

I just exchanged the PX7S2 for these and the guys at the store are so nice so I’m a little reluctant to come back. The PX7S2 were flush, the arms perfectly mirroring each other, and no slanted band.

A fault has happened with 2/4 B&W headphones I’ve owned, this would be the third one if so. The P5S2 had right speaker blown out the box, the PXs had ANC problems, bought those from the same store actually and got them exchanged asap. The ones I had perfect out the box was PX7 and PX7S2.

Anyone who own or tried the PX8 is this normal or not? Also if you own it or not would you let it slide or exchange?
I looked at your picture for a good minute before I understood what you are talking about...
Mine are exactly the same, I think. Or maybe a little less like yours.
They are perfectly symmetrical on the head though. And super comfy.
This is not what I would call a "fault" like the other issues you mention.
What is the problem exactly?
How often do you put them flat on a table and measure the symmetry?

May 15, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #3,984 of 5,215
I looked at your picture for a good minute before I understood what you are talking about...
Mine are exactly the same, I think. Or maybe a little less like yours.
They are perfectly symmetrical on the head though. And super comfy.
This is not what I would call a "fault" like the other issues you mention.
What is the problem exactly?
How often do you put them flat on a table and measure the symmetry?
Haha, I usually put them on a stand, and they are really comfy on the head, much more so than PX7S2 as they push at the top and bottom of the cup, whereas the PX7S2 was a little top heavy on the cups, also the authentic leather has allowed me to have them on for a long time/hang them around my neck without sweating, ulike the PX7S2.

The problem is just knowing deep in my soul that they arent symmetrical, it just bugs me really wrong, but that thought may dissipate after a while as I often think much more of a product when its new, then after a while i care less and start tossing it around😅

PS: I havent listened to Headphones of this quality in years, used to have hi-fi Headphones with dac and amp until 2014 (Denon AH-5000, Beyer DT770, ATH50,Senn 6xx, Hifiman he-500) after that I got more fixated on speakers and soundproofed my living room. From then to now I have only used more portable sets like the B&O H6, B&W P5S2, PX, PX7, PX7S2. I actually cried a little listening to the PX8, so much control, detail, separation, controlled bass, great mids and spectacular highs, made me fall in love with Headphones over again and im now saving for a home-stack.

Sorry for going a little off-topic😅

May 15, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #3,985 of 5,215
Haha, I usually put them on a stand, and they are really comfy on the head, much more so than PX7S2 as they push at the top and bottom of the cup, whereas the PX7S2 was a little top heavy on the cups, also the authentic leather has allowed me to have them on for a long time/hang them around my neck without sweating, ulike the PX7S2.

The problem is just knowing deep in my soul that they arent symmetrical, it just bugs me really wrong, but that thought may dissipate after a while as I often think much more of a product when its new, then after a while i care less and start tossing it around😅

PS: I havent listened to Headphones of this quality in years, used to have hi-fi Headphones with dac and amp until 2014 (Denon AH-5000, Beyer DT770, ATH50,Senn 6xx, Hifiman he-500) after that I got more fixated on speakers and soundproofed my living room. From then to now I have only used more portable sets like the B&O H6, B&W P5S2, PX, PX7, PX7S2. I actually cried a little listening to the PX8, so much control, detail, separation, controlled bass, great mids and spectacular highs, made me fall in love with Headphones over again and im now saving for a home-stack.

Mine are the same way. I’m at this point convinced they are all this way for some weight distribution reason
IMG_0960.jpeg

May 15, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #3,986 of 5,215

If the headphones feel right and sit straight on your head I wouldnt worry the slightest.

Most heads and faces are more assymetrical than your PX8s… :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back