Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #2,896 of 5,138
My PX8 was delivered earlier today, initial impressions is that the base is boomy, I’ve read to give them time to break in. In my opinion, the app experience needs more work. Every setting I need should be present on the 1st screen, why I gotta go through hoops to access base and treble settings.

Out the box, my sennheiser momentum 4 and H95 sound better. I’ll give these more time to break in.

the app is the real let down here

Attachments

• B2D3B667-2AB2-496E-9667-082B599C1F8F.jpeg
    B2D3B667-2AB2-496E-9667-082B599C1F8F.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,897 of 5,138
My PX8 was delivered earlier today, initial impressions is that the base is boomy, I’ve read to give them time to break in. In my opinion, the app experience needs more work. Every setting I need should be present on the 1st screen, why I gotta go through hoops to access base and treble settings.

Out the box, my sennheiser momentum 4 and H95 sound better. I’ll give these more time to break in.

I do have the M4 as well. They sound very good for the price. The PX8 are definitely better, though. Give them a bit time to break in and also try listening to them with ANC turned off. They have a bit less bass that way as well. But brake in time is key here :)

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,898 of 5,138

I don't have the Px8 but the px7 s2 and I also find the bass on certain music to be boomy (not sure how long in terms of hours I've used them for break-in purposes) otherwise it's an excellent wireless set (the Px8 even more so).

I actually don't mind the app. I think it works well enough for my needs. I don't find myself using it all that much.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,899 of 5,138
True wireless collection. Left my momentum 4’s in the car.

AK SP2000

Bluetooth:
Beoplay ex (x2)
Beoplay eq (x2)
PX8
SMW 3
Momentum 4
Noble FoKus Pro
Astell & Kern UW100
Technics AZ60
Bose Quiet Comfort earbuds II

Wired:
64 Audio u18t
Empire Ears Odin

Attachments

• FCC4BC3B-EAFB-4997-9A1D-A628CE0921BB.jpeg
    FCC4BC3B-EAFB-4997-9A1D-A628CE0921BB.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,900 of 5,138
I don't have the Px8 but the px7 s2 and I also find the bass on certain music to be boomy (not sure how long in terms of hours I've used them for break-in purposes) otherwise it's an excellent wireless set (the Px8 even more so).

I actually don't mind the app. I think it works well enough for my needs. I don't find myself using it all that much.
I’m going to just let them play throughout the day to allow burn in. I’m kind of spoiled by all the other apps for my other Bluetooth devices.

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #2,901 of 5,138
After listening to various headphones and earbuds, Sennheiser momentum 4 and ears buds II are truly the best bang for your buck when it comes to actual sonic performance. if I couldn’t afford the others these would keep me happy just fine.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #2,902 of 5,138
After listening to various headphones and earbuds, Sennheiser momentum 4 and ears buds II are truly the best bang for your buck when it comes to actual sonic performance. if I couldn’t afford the others these would keep me happy just fine.
The Momentum 4s are great for the money, agreed. Comfortable, very good sound, solid enough ANC and transparency mode as well as amazing battery life and a very nice case this time around. Not the biggest fan of touch controls in general on over ears and build quality really is nothing special but still good enough for what they are.

Picture of the most used ones at the moment:

A2A48EA5-3978-4D6D-AE5C-3153FAA8C1FF.jpeg

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #2,903 of 5,138
The Momentum 4s are great for the money, agreed. Comfortable, very good sound, solid enough ANC and transparency mode as well as amazing battery life and a very nice case this time around. Not the biggest fan of touch controls in general on over ears and build quality really is nothing special but still good enough for what they are.

Picture of the most used ones at the moment:

A2A48EA5-3978-4D6D-AE5C-3153FAA8C1FF.jpeg

Your collection is nice, nothing else needed with this collection. I’m preparing to give/sell most of my collection and be happy with 2-3 sets.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #2,904 of 5,138
Your collection is nice, nothing else needed with this collection. I’m preparing to give/sell most of my collection and be happy with 2-3 sets.
Yeah, very happy with it right now. I also recently sold my AirPods Max and the Beyerdynamic Free Byrd as we all as a pair of Fidelio T1. No real need for them anymore.

Really liked the APM and used them for 21 months, though. The APP2 are so close though and can replace the Max on the Apple TV as well.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #2,905 of 5,138
Yeah, very happy with it right now. I also recently sold my AirPods Max and the Beyerdynamic Free Byrd as we all as a pair of Fidelio T1. No real need for them anymore.

Really liked the APM and used them for 21 months, though. The APP2 are so close though and can replace the Max on the Apple TV as well.
I had the AirPod max for a short period of time and I really enjoyed them. Everything was too notch but the weight bothered me so I returned them back to Bestbuy. I thought about re-purchasing them but decided to hold off just in case they release an updated version.

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #2,907 of 5,138
Coming back to the slight controversy with this headphone, I find it interesting that audiophile outlets sing praises to no end for a 560s, which in the same way the PX8 dials up bass pulls it back

EAB0F9DB-A770-4B7A-B8C4-AE1B3B77BFB6.png

What gives? Ive got the 560s and enjoy it, but it has its weaknesses to me compared to headphones with heavier bass. Why does this kind of deviation from the harman target go scot free, while the PX8 gets trashed for its deviation in the bass region? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,908 of 5,138
Coming back to the slight controversy with this headphone, I find it interesting that audiophile outlets sing praises to no end for a 560s, which in the same way the PX8 dials up bass pulls it back

EAB0F9DB-A770-4B7A-B8C4-AE1B3B77BFB6.png

What gives? Ive got the 560s and enjoy it, but it has its weaknesses to me compared to headphones with heavier bass. Why does this kind of deviation from the harman target go scot free, while the PX8 gets trashed for its deviation in the bass region? What am I missing?
Appreciate those are probably rhetorical questions at the end but it's purely a case of snobbery right? I get the sense B&W's headphone offerings aren't taken seriously by quite a few in audiophile circles, and are seen as more "lifestyle" options, a la Bang & Olufsen.

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #2,909 of 5,138
Hi all. I'm completely new to head-fi and have decided to buy my first pair of decent cans. I read as many reviews as possible for a few days then stumbled across this thread. I spent the last 3 days reading it from its inception in October, right up to page 194. First and foremost, thank you for the incredible info your 4 months of chat has generated - so much more useful than the mainstream review sites. More importantly, thank you for 3 days of entertainment. I can't believe I'm saying this about a headphone forum but it was a real page-turner. I found your passion for headphones infectious and couldn't get enough of the drama along the way. The jthom72 v Angel debate was my particular favourite I think - B&W's ultimate fan boy v the Focal fanatic (who since turned to B&W for undisclosed personal reasons). It was a real emotional roller coaster tinged with tragedy and comedy in equal measure. I was literally cracking up as you all looked to each other for reassurance regarding your colour choices. The tan v black debate raged until either you returned your original choices or stuck with your guns. That was until the release of 007 and Mclaren models which really put the cat amongst the pigeons. I didn't think for 1 minute anyone would actually return their headphones to pay £100 extra for the same product in a different colour but by god some of you did it! I think you're all mad as hatters but I respect the passion. Anyway, PX8s in tan are on the way. I don't think they're better than black, blue or grey and orange by the way - I just had to choose one.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #2,910 of 5,138
Appreciate those are probably rhetorical questions at the end but it's purely a case of snobbery right? I get the sense B&W's headphone offerings aren't taken seriously by quite a few in audiophile circles, and are seen as more "lifestyle" options, a la Bang & Olufsen.
It just seems odd to me that the same review outlets that throw any headphone with elevated bass in the bin give the 560s and other senns a pass in flying colours, and the barely mention the huge defecit in the bass region in more than passing.
Both deviations require EQ to correct.

I can't conclude what the reason is, snobbery or otherwise. Just a curious double standard I've noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back