Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 19, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #2,072 of 5,138
I have the same issues with my Px8. Among other issues which you have described, the same issue happens to my Px8, the sound doesn't return when I put the earpiece back on. But if I press hard for some seconds the lower part of the earpiece towards my ears and hold them in that way for a while, the sound returns for some seconds and then it turn off again by itself. I can also get back the sound by hitting the multifunction pause button, but it can pause and stop the sound without any intervention from my side, while I have the earpiece on my head. I do not experience these issues when I have the wear sensor off. I have informed my retailer in Sweden about these issues and I have been promissed to get my earpiece replaced with a new one. I am not so optimistic that the new one will not have the same issues.
P.S. I have also a pair of Px7, and I do not recall that I ever experienced any issue with the wear sensor with Px7. It still functions with no issues.
I have exact same issue except I can never get the music to resume once it stops unless I press multifunction button or play on the phone. And the music rarely stops if I lift only one earpiece, even on max sensitivity. I think this is almost a universal issue and I really doubt exchanging them will do anything. B&W offered to exchange but I decided not to as so may others on here were having the same issues. I just live with it, it's not a big issue for me, though you would think they would get it right for the price we are paying. I wonder if this is something that could be fixed with a future firmware update.

Nov 19, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,073 of 5,138
I have exact same issue except I can never get the music to resume once it stops unless I press multifunction button or play on the phone. And the music rarely stops if I lift only one earpiece, even on max sensitivity. I think this is almost a universal issue and I really doubt exchanging them will do anything. B&W offered to exchange but I decided not to as so may others on here were having the same issues. I just live with it, it's not a big issue for me, though you would think they would get it right for the price we are paying. I wonder if this is something that could be fixed with a future firmware update.
For me at "normal" sensitivity, there is a delay of a few seconds before music stops. Tbh I haven't paid much attention to whether or not the music restarts, but I have noticed that it does, at least sometimes. I wonder if messing with my phone in the interim or my computer with multi-point has an effect on that. As for firmware, I do remember multiple updates for the PX that helped the wear sensor.

Nov 19, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #2,074 of 5,138
It would be great if someone from B&W could provide a little insight into the tech so at least we could know how it is supposed to work, and therefore, what may be impeding it it in particular use cases.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,075 of 5,138
It would be great if someone from B&W could provide a little insight into the tech so at least we could know how it is supposed to work, and therefore, what may be impeding it it in particular use cases.
In their product sheet and also on the support page there is a long disclaimer about ”hair and other objects” which may impact on the performance of the proximity sensors.

Which is completely useless I have had three other pairs of B&W cans with this feature and numerous other brands. I have short hair as always and have never had an issue with this feature. Until now, with the PX8.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,076 of 5,138
In their product sheet and also on the support page there is a long disclaimer about ”hair and other objects” which may impact on the performance of the proximity sensors.

Which is completely useless I have had three other pairs of B&W cans with this feature and numerous other brands. I have short hair as always and have never had an issue with this feature. Until now, with the PX8.
FYI
I am bald and no hair in sight 😄
I don't have any problem with the wear sensor of my Px7 but I do have problem with the wear sensor of my Px8.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #2,077 of 5,138
FYI
I am bald and no hair in sight 😄
I don't have any problem with the wear sensor of my Px7 but I do have problem with the wear sensor of my Px8.
Same here. Told B&W. No action yet.

Fortunately the headphones are really, really good.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #2,078 of 5,138
For those interested, I've updated my wireless anc headphone comparison thread to include the Bathys and PX8. I figured I'd point everyone to that instead of posting a comparison here. I also include many other popular anc headphones including the 5909, M&D MW75, B&O H95, and Apple AirPods Max.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sid...l-5909-m-d-mw75-focal-bathys-and-more.958727/
Great review for sure.
Based on sound quality only ignoring ANC/Transparency/call quality do they outperform Apple Airpods Max even if using Mac OS/iOS?
Thanks

Nov 19, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2,080 of 5,138
Great review for sure.
Based on sound quality only ignoring ANC/Transparency/call quality do they outperform Apple Airpods Max even if using Mac OS/iOS?
Thanks

To my ears, yes they do. A little cleaner with more detail and resolution. The PX8 sounds more natural. If you're big into sub bass, you can argue that the AirPods Max are more fun.

Nov 19, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #2,081 of 5,138
Just bought the 007 edition - was the only version they had in stock and was sick of waiting! Off to pick them up now :)

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #2,082 of 5,138
Exchanging or returning the Px8 may not solve the sensor issue however it may encourage B&W to find a solution more quickly if enough people do it. I sent mine in for exchange with slim hope there would be any difference but trying to send them a message as well.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #2,084 of 5,138
Great review for sure.
Thanks
If using Apple Music Lossless >> iOS/MacOS >> Airpod Max.
In my opinion they don’t match the above system because of the computational audio and unique Bluetooth implementation.

However PX8 with AptX HD or AptX Adaptive sounds better.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #2,085 of 5,138
If using Apple Music Lossless >> iOS/MacOS >> Airpod Max.
In my opinion they don’t match the above system because of the computational audio and unique Bluetooth implementation.

However PX8 with AptX HD or AptX Adaptive sounds better.
I am aware that Apple has a nice implementation of the AAC codec, but what does the Apple Music Lossless have to do with anything? Any good source would do I guess?

Also I think PX8 is a more enjoyable headphone than APM even on iOS/AAC.
Definitely a matter of preference, but the natural timbre, sweet mids and more intimate soundstage does it for me. I do listen mostly to music with lots of guitars and vocals though, and I can see that someone more into electronic music would appreciate the sub bass from APM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back