Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #1,966 of 5,138
The famous DAC mode in Bathys differs in one way: it does not drain battery when used with say phone. It also has 24bit/192 and that is a really cool specs. Momentum and PX/PX7//PX8 alow playback via usb but at lower quality and will use power. That makes it unusable from phone/iPad . I think that mostly it.
It is possible to drive the Px8 from an iPad. No prob. I tested with my iPad Pro and an iPad Air 2020.
But it does draw power so will not work with most phones.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #1,968 of 5,138
I still love my black version :)
Me too. The others are beautiful but perhaps a bit too showy for me. On the other hand, the black is easily mistaken for a PX7s2. Until you get closer…😎

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,969 of 5,138
Sorry if this is a silly question - the Bathys have a DAC function when used wired...is this different than using the PX8s wired? I've read on somewhere that using them (PX8s) wired still uses the DAC in the headphones. What's the difference there?
Bathys draw very little or no power in DAC mode so they can be used over USB with a camera kit adapter on iphone. The PX8 will try to charge so it is a no go without an external powersource. Not sure how it would be on android, but it will drain your battery if it works.

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #1,972 of 5,138
Bathys DAC can go up to 192khz, PX8 max 48khz

(must admit I find the PX8 only a little bit better in SQ than my old P7's (which are very uncomfortable but sound good), which is a bit annoying considering the £600 I paid for these new ones)
The P7s were good but not as good as the P7w (I owned both). On the other hand the P7w suffered from vice-like clamping and a hard headband.
And the noise floor was ridiculous and totally ruined the listening at lower volumes, for me.

PX8 has the same nice timbre but overall I would say they are a nice improvement in every dimension. On top of that you get decent ANC, nice comfort, better battery life, USB-C charging and connectivity and ok mics.

But sure, we are paying a lot extra for very marginal gains in the SQ department.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,974 of 5,138
I revisited the store to double-check my observations regarding PX8. Boy, they look stunning, and even 2h session was super fine in terms of comfort to me. The form factor of these is just worth more than the asking price. I love them. I also saw the 007 pair, and they are in the same league as Focal Clear MG in terms of the WOW factor.

Sound-wise though, to me these ( apart from resolution and smoothness ) sound like 250-350 Euro Bluetooth headphones. I know, I know I hear a majority saying that it's "like it or not". Maybe so, then It's the fact that I don't like the presentation. You are right. But to be more precise:

1. It's not the amount of bass. No, not at all. I found it quite cool actually, and without ANC, super effortless. Splendid. But once ANC is on, I do hear a massive change in behavior. At first, it does sound just stronger, but I focused on that more, and I do feel it is different. It hits harder, but the bass reverberation is shorter, giving it a forced feeling. With ANC it sounds artificial and not so fun. Without ANC? Rather nice, I don't mind the lack of detail, as long as it rocks my boat. But then, well, these are the ANC headphones.

2. Mids are odd. Yes, odd. I do feel a LOT of DSP work there. It pulls some extra echoes and reserbations to make it sound bigger, but the result is that with upper mids/ treble compression, it gives me a feeling of distance and in-chamber presentation. Some rock tracks sound good, but say, older Genesis or Phill Collins sounded bad and disjointed to me with high hats being so flat and odd echoes around Peter's voice. It really sounded like a forced Room DSP simulation and compressed high hats.

I think my initial muddy bass comment was related to that odd ANC bass behavior and to my ear's oddly tuned mid-tones.

3. If a track is mostly vocal, it does sound good actually. This extra warmth is cool. But when the track gets more complex, I hear the lack of energy in the voice region, and with the extra presence of lower mid-tones accented by this pushed-forward reverberation, I totally don't pay attention to the vocal that lies in upper mids.

4. Highs are pushed somehow, but with - to my taste - recessed or compressed upper mids, they do feel shouty at times and flat.

In general, I liked the sound for the first one or two tracks, but the more time I spent listening the less I cared about the next tracks. I remember owning PX, I dreamed of having BW headphones with better comfort and similar looks. PX8 are just that, I ADORE their looks and comfort, and I respect their not-bad resolution and super classy smoothness, but that tuning do me sounds very much like a typical consumer one, one that does not match the asking price. I would love to love them. Really, and I envy all of the owners that find themself happy with both aspects of those amazingly looking headphones.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,975 of 5,138
I revisited the store to double-check my observations regarding PX8. Boy, they look stunning, and even 2h session was super fine in terms of comfort to me. The form factor of these is just worth more than the asking price. I love them. I also saw the 007 pair, and they are in the same league as Focal Clear MG in terms of the WOW factor.

Sound-wise though, to me these ( apart from resolution and smoothness ) sound like 250-350 Euro Bluetooth headphones. I know, I know I hear a majority saying that it's "like it or not". Maybe so, then It's the fact that I don't like the presentation. You are right. But to be more precise:

1. It's not the amount of bass. No, not at all. I found it quite cool actually, and without ANC, super effortless. Splendid. But once ANC is on, I do hear a massive change in behavior. At first, it does sound just stronger, but I focused on that more, and I do feel it is different. It hits harder, but the bass reverberation is shorter, giving it a forced feeling. With ANC it sounds artificial and not so fun. Without ANC? Rather nice, I don't mind the lack of detail, as long as it rocks my boat. But then, well, these are the ANC headphones.

2. Mids are odd. Yes, odd. I do feel a LOT of DSP work there. It pulls some extra echoes and reserbations to make it sound bigger, but the result is that with upper mids/ treble compression, it gives me a feeling of distance and in-chamber presentation. Some rock tracks sound good, but say, older Genesis or Phill Collins sounded bad and disjointed to me with high hats being so flat and odd echoes around Peter's voice. It really sounded like a forced Room DSP simulation and compressed high hats.

I think my initial muddy bass comment was related to that odd ANC bass behavior and to my ear's oddly tuned mid-tones.

3. If a track is mostly vocal, it does sound good actually. This extra warmth is cool. But when the track gets more complex, I hear the lack of energy in the voice region, and with the extra presence of lower mid-tones accented by this pushed-forward reverberation, I totally don't pay attention to the vocal that lies in upper mids.

4. Highs are pushed somehow, but with - to my taste - recessed or compressed upper mids, they do feel shouty at times and flat.

In general, I liked the sound for the first one or two tracks, but the more time I spent listening the less I cared about the next tracks. I remember owning PX, I dreamed of having BW headphones with better comfort and similar looks. PX8 are just that, I ADORE their looks and comfort, and I respect their not-bad resolution and super classy smoothness, but that tuning do me sounds very much like a typical consumer one, one that does not match the asking price. I would love to love them. Really, and I envy all of the owners that find themself happy with both aspects of those amazingly looking headphones.
I think you made your point clear in your previous posts. Sound is not to your liking.
If you had the PX and actually liked that tuning, PX8 is going to feel very very different.
Fortunately there are many nice alternatives out there today, even though I think PX8 is one of the absolute best in build and looks.
Try B&O H95 or something from Master & Dynamic maybe?

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,976 of 5,138
Some rock tracks sound good, but say, older Genesis or Phill Collins sounded bad and disjointed to me with high hats being so flat and odd echoes around Peter's voice. It really sounded like a forced Room DSP simulation and compressed high hats.

I hope you aren't listening to the terrible 2007 Genesis remasters that sounding terrible with ALL headphones or earphones. The many better 1994 Definitive Edition versions of the old Genesis catalogue are many better, but the px8 isn't very good in its reproduction of this albums, but the Bathys and (specially) the 5909 (AND even APP 2) making this versions sounding very clearly better.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,977 of 5,138
I think you made your point clear in your previous posts. Sound is not to your liking.
If you had the PX and actually liked that tuning, PX8 is going to feel very very different.
Fortunately there are many nice alternatives out there today, even though I think PX8 is one of the absolute best in build and looks.
Try B&O H95 or something from Master & Dynamic maybe?
I did listen to most of the current BT headphones, and H95 are worse than PX8 to my ears. I did not hear the Master&D and maybe some more expensive ones than the Bathys. To be fair I had two Sony headphones, 1000 and xm3 but really didn’t like them sound-wise.
As odd as it may sound, the best ones to me are Bathys and Momentum 3 and 4.

But yeah point taken and this might be my last observation on this thread :wink:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,978 of 5,138
I just went to JL to compare my PX8s against others. Quick comparison and made me appreciate how good these actually are.

These are order from best to worst imho

Momentum 4 - surprised how good for the price Love the bass, slam was so much fun. But in comparison details and mids and the cohesion of sound not even close. But guess that’s expected given the price difference.
BO H95 - nice tight bass but too reserved for outdoor use may be ok indoors at home. But just sounded muddled and too much treble sibilance. May have been decent when they come out but think they lack way behind. Also volume was way too limited.
Sony MX5 - these were terrible it’s like the driver was blown. Awful bass and treble

I did have APM prior to these which were unbeatable for ANC and sound was very good. But no comparison in SQ to px8 way more muddled and processed.

I’m a massive focal fan having had the Stella as my end game for last 3 years. I was tempted with Bathys but figured these are more portable and wanted a different sound.

For now these tick al the boxes sound is awesome for Bluetooth and just sound fun and vocals are right there.
I agree these are like having awesome floors standing speakers in front of you.

When at home I pop on Stella for the lush bass, enormous sound strange and micro detail.

Stella is my Rolls Royce Phantom and px8 is my Aston Martin

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #1,979 of 5,138
I just went to JL to compare my PX8s against others. Quick comparison and made me appreciate how good these actually are.

These are order from best to worst imho

Momentum 4 - surprised how good for the price Love the bass, slam was so much fun. But in comparison details and mids and the cohesion of sound not even close. But guess that’s expected given the price difference.
BO H95 - nice tight bass but too reserved for outdoor use may be ok indoors at home. But just sounded muddled and too much treble sibilance. May have been decent when they come out but think they lack way behind. Also volume was way too limited.
Sony MX5 - these were terrible it’s like the driver was blown. Awful bass and treble

I did have APM prior to these which were unbeatable for ANC and sound was very good. But no comparison in SQ to px8 way more muddled and processed.

I’m a massive focal fan having had the Stella as my end game for last 3 years. I was tempted with Bathys but figured these are more portable and wanted a different sound.

For now these tick al the boxes sound is awesome for Bluetooth and just sound fun and vocals are right there.
I agree these are like having awesome floors standing speakers in front of you.

When at home I pop on Stella for the lush bass, enormous sound strange and micro detail.

My Stella is my Rolls Royce Phantom and px8 is my Aston Martin
Also enjoying the Stellia - PX8 tag team.

Its nice having very different sound signatures for on the go and at home. They're both energetic, but in completely contrasting ways I find.

Nov 12, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #1,980 of 5,138
I just quickly tested
PX7 S2, PX8, H95
As what other ppl said, everything is basically same as listed here.
Only thing i wanted to point out/ surprised was that
px7s2 call quality is much better than PX8 somehow.
I do believe they have exact same mic ( 6 mic total, 2 for anc) , but somehow px8 call quality is a lot muffled /unclear than PX7 s2. It feels like it is calling from under the water

73BPaBY.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back