Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #586 of 5,138
I'm not saying I will replace them yet. I will compare them to the ML 5909, and if I like the sound of the Bathys more and they measure up to the MLs in comfort, I will sell the ML. My biggest issue with the ML is the volume. It just doesn't get very loud when using the electronics. Gets much louder in passive mode but you lose a lot of the bass. If the Bathys get noticeably louder, I may even stick with them if they don't quite sound as good as the ML, as long as the comfort is comparable. We'll have to see. Not a definite by any stretch without me trying them.

If the volume in 5909 is a problem for you, this will not be a problem with Bathys.

So strange, I don't think its just your hearing mostly because I dont think my hearing is so well preserved that the difference is so dramatic

Yes, the 5909 and h95 having less volume than majority of wireless headphones (in BT mode not when wired where they going very more loud). But, like you, both 5909 and h95 max volume in BT mode is never a problem for me, and probably going 80% max and only sometimes, except in literally less than 5 old CDs where maybe I go for 90%. But I think is better always having more volume headroom.

For me a more big problem with Bathys and 5909 is that is only 16 steps in iOS and macOS, and with Bathys the volume is jumping sometimes more than one step in iOS if you're going up or down (this is a similar problem with old Momentum 3), and this can fixing with firmware update.

But right now if considering only the sound quality, I think I'm preferring the Bathys a little more than 5909, and is good that Bathys EQ is more complete than the 5909 EQ.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #587 of 5,138
Comparison of ANC, Transparency, microphone test and multi point.

1. For ANC I'm testing with loud fan in max setting, loud cafe sounds with speakers and airplane cabin noise with speakers.
The px8 is best in the 3 categories but Bathys is coming very close. In the airplane noise test, they're more close. Is interesting seeng here that the Bathys are changing the ANC a little after few seconds improving ANC a little, and this is making the comparison almost equal sometimes.

2. With transparency I prefer the Bathys a little more because I'm hearing the outside sounds more natural with similar volume level than not wearing headphones. The px8 is little more quiet, this is more clear when I'm hearing my footsteps walking.

3. Microphone. For this test I recording audio note. The best is the 5909, the Bathys is close with 5909 but 5909 the sound is little more clear. The px8 is very bad here because the sound of the recording is VERY low. This is very strange because the difference between px8 and the other 2 headphones is dramatic.

4. Multi point. Here the best is the px8 with big difference. When changing very quickly devices, (you press pause in one device then quickly press play in other device) the sound is starting immediately. If you doing this quickly too in Bathys, is taking 7 seconds for starting in other device, and 6 seconds in 5909. BUT if the change isn't quickly, meaning you're waiting more than 6-7 seconds for changing to other device with Bathys and 5909 then music starting instantly in second device.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #588 of 5,138
2. With transparency I prefer the Bathys a little more because I'm hearing the outside sounds more natural with similar volume level than not wearing headphones. The px8 is little more quiet, this is more clear when I'm hearing my footsteps walking.

3. Microphone. For this test I recording audio note. The best is the 5909, the Bathys is close with 5909 but 5909 the sound is little more clear. The px8 is very bad here because the sound of the recording is VERY low. This is very strange because the difference between px8 and the other 2 headphones is dramatic.

4. Multi point. Here the best is the px8 with big difference. When changing very quickly devices, (you press pause in one device then quickly press play in other device) the sound is starting immediately. If you doing this quickly too in Bathys, is taking 7 seconds for starting in other device, and 6 seconds in 5909. BUT if the change isn't quickly, meaning you're waiting more than 6-7 seconds for changing to other device with Bathys and 5909 then music starting instantly in second device.
Microphone - that sounds faulty? To test it i recorded voice clips on my Airpods Pro & PX8. Airpods slightly louder but not much, i can play them back (just did) on Insta. PX8 has plenty of volume. I wonder what's happened there? Quality isn't great though, I prefer the Airpod Pro mic.

ANC definitely better on PX8 for me. I used music to test though, from speakers, so our different methodology may have lead to different results.

Multi-point, yes, Bathys was a pain going between iphone/macbook. PX8 was seamless.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #589 of 5,138
Is manual codec switching a non-issue if you use a 3rd party player on source device like UAPP to bypass android audio? Also does Px8 have a light or other indicator that informs user what codec is being received / played, so that for example if player is outputting AptX HD / AptX adaptive one can confirm that is what Px8 is using as well?
That’s a great feature. Does it show light colours for Apt X and Apt X Adaptive?
This is so we know it is not grouping both together same light, hence i ask.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #590 of 5,138
When I had the 5909 I had the same issue… iOS was quiet as hell on those

Ya it must be an iOS thing. All my wireless headphones are plenty loud.
If the volume in 5909 is a problem for you, this will not be a problem with Bathys.

Yes, the 5909 and h95 having less volume than majority of wireless headphones (in BT mode not when wired where they going very more loud). But, like you, both 5909 and h95 max volume in BT mode is never a problem for me, and probably going 80% max and only sometimes, except in literally less than 5 old CDs where maybe I go for 90%. But I think is better always having more volume headroom.

For me a more big problem with Bathys and 5909 is that is only 16 steps in iOS and macOS, and with Bathys the volume is jumping sometimes more than one step in iOS if you're going up or down (this is a similar problem with old Momentum 3), and this can fixing with firmware update.

But right now if considering only the sound quality, I think I'm preferring the Bathys a little more than 5909, and is good that Bathys EQ is more complete than the 5909 EQ.

Yeah I haven't gone higher than 60% with the MLs. Could also be track and source related.

For ANC I had a plane engine recording stream over my stereo system and slowly went up on the volume until it became audible with NC on and no music playing

PX8 vs ML performed similarly (10 vs 13 of 80 total volume). Neither was that impressive compared to my WF-1000xm4 in ears with stock tips (20 of 80 total volume). I assume that the XM5 over ear are even better than their TWS brother.

(Youtube video used () )

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #591 of 5,138
Here you go guys, rundown of my thoughts so far. It's pretty much all in the conclusion, but the song by song breakdown will give some justification for my conclusions, hopefully :)

PX8 vs Bathys (iOS Bluetooth exclusively)

Overall a very different listen. I’ve had 2 solid days with each now and have listened them all day, and also had my gf compare them for you guys for fun. It’s been interesting, I also sat down each day to do in depth comparisons track by track, genre by genre, listening to 30s-1minute of a track side by side, taking notes, and re-examining key details across four sessions over the weekend. All my other gear has gathered dust for four days now!

Rock

Formidable Cool - wolf alice

The bass in the intro of this song has a lot more energy, and drive in it on the PX8 than on the Bathys. I much prefer the bass here on the PX8, it’s a lot more fun, detailed and bodied. It doesn’t impeach on the vocals either, which sound more present on the PX8 throughout the track, they sound a little thin on the Bathys at times, whereas on the PX8 they are fuller and feel closer.

There are passages on the Bathys that feel a bit empty compared to PX8. Example, 2min, a strong bassline supports soft vocals.

On the Bathys the Bassline is fainter and lacks energy, while the vocal remains clear. This passage on the PX8 has a lot more drive, grunt and fun in it, where the Bathys trades the body of bassnotes for more spaciousness. But it doesn’t really add to the song here.

The Bathys presents all the instruments with clarity, and images better than the PX8 and sounds less congested. But the way the bass region is presented on the PX8 is just so much more…fun and alive, there is serious energy there.

Very solid win for PX8 in my book.

Giant Peach - Wolf Alice

Bathys sounds more holographic and wider, instruments are spread out more and placement feels more accomplished. PX8 has more grunt on the guitar and thickness, there is a real crunch and body in the guitar that grabs you.

Details are clearer and more distinct on the Bathys for sure, e.g. the two guitars are really clearly outlined in space and can be picked out.

But PX8 has a greater sense of punch and guitars are more present and have more bite. The highlight of the song, the opening riff, has a huge sense of impact and momentum on the PX8.

Winner - PX8

Failure - Another Space Song

Details jump out on the Bathys in a really cool way, it's immersive.

Guitar riff is meatier on the PX8 and more pleasant again. But I really like Bathys imaging here.

Greater sense of clarity on Bathys. I could listen to either and would have a preference depending on my mood.

Draw

Electronic
My Name is Dark - Grimes

Around 3.20, a droning (distorted guitar?) plays behind the vocal.

The bathys images the sound beautifully, it is very well separated and clear from the vocal. The PX8 doesnt quite image it in the same way, with the same clarity. There are several moments where the bathys renders details really nicely.

E.g. where second ambient vocals appear, they come across the image much more elegantly than PX8 and these secondary details are more present and easily discerned on Bathys.

Meanwhile the basslines and bass remains more energetic and engaging on PX8.

A solid win for Bathys, really liked the presentation

Flesh without Blood -Grimes

The Bathys ability to render sounds holographically here is just incredible for an ANC headphone. Effects pop out from every direction and its immensely engaging, the PX8 simply can’t do that, not even close.

Instead on the PX8 the sound sounds a lot more contained in one region, and the whole thing is driven by the bass and the vocal. The bass has more authority but is also dialled up, vocals sound similar on both, the guitar is more full bodied and enjoyable on the PX8.

This is a really tough call, the Bathys does awesome stuff with electronic music. Stuff no ANC headphone I’ve heard can do, which I associate more with Clear/Stellia in terms of imaging.

I think this could simply go either way, my preference is for PX8 though because it has more ‘soul’ on this track, for lack of a better word.

Winner PX8 (just)

Eve of Destruction - Chemical Bros

This track is full of effects and interesting instruments

Vocals sound more intimate and lush - PX8
Great imaging and placement of effects - Bathys
More spacious sound - Bathys
Better quality of drums/instrumentals - PX8

Draw

Galvanise Chemical Brothers

If you’re familiar with this song, or even not, the first 30s shows a stark difference in presentation. That opening effect is clearer and more detailed on Bathys.

The opening periodic instrumental is much more forceful and convincing on PX8, and the bass that kicks in at 0.18 is a lot more authoritative and deep on PX8, but also far more potent. The bass on Bathys is vastly dialled back in comparison, much lighter and more polite, but also not very impactful.

Huge win for PX8 for my tastes, I found the song lacking the usual drive and energy it does on speakers or live for that matter (saw em two months back, lucky me). It was just a bit meh on the Focals relatively, but I should add, some people like the more polite presentation, I think, it’s a matter of taste. And without the PX8 onhand, who knows, I might've been perfectly happy.

PX8 by a big margin

Vocals

Skyfall - Adele

Really strong difference on the vocal here. The PX8 sounds a lot more nuanced and fuller again, the Bathys vocal is flatter and has a less going on. In simple terms, I hear more emotion in Adele’s voice with the PX8

This was a very clear win for PX8 to me, it was a much more emotive and forceful listen. There were parts I listened to both on twice headphones to get a really clear idea of what’s going on as it was hard to focus on instrumentals and vocals simultaneously.
Winner - PX8, by a good margin

Blue Jeans - Lana Del Rey

Lots of interesting instrumental parts, ambient sections in this song, and they are more clearly recognisable on the bathys ever so slightly. some small details are harder to discern or on the PX8, or jump out less. Lana’s vocal feels a bit shimmery on Bathys, it’s hard to describe, it just sounds less like a human is singing? I had this problem with Elegia somewhat too. On PX8 there is a sweeter, warmer tone to voice which feels like an added detail.

Both headphones get slightly harsh with the vocal at one point, so out of interest I whipped out the Stellia…No harshness, which was interesting.

Once again I give the nod to PX8 for the vocal rendition. It’s more natural.

Innocents - Aurora

There is a transition at 40sish that sounds a lot more energetic and powerful on the PX8, drums kick in and another instrumental line.

On Bathys vs PX8 it sounds a little feeble, its a combination of the more present bass and fuller vocals on the PX8 which renders that transition with a lot more oomph. It sounds pretty spectacular on PX8.

After the transition the vocal continues with the new instrumental, on the Bathys the Vocal is pushes back in the mix and the instrumental is the most forward, present component.

On the PX8 the Vocal is front and centre, and I think this is more appropriate and sounds better.

Meanwhile the separation of instruments from the vocal is more pronounced on the Bathys. Notes have a sharper edge, everything sounds clearer and more defined in 3d space.

I preferred this on PX8 considerably, I think it has a more natural timbre which is noticeable on vocals.

Classical

Moonlight Sonata

Piano tones sound softer and more agreeable to me on PX8. Still great on Bathys, I have a feeling Bathys might do great with an ensemble. But here with a single instrument it really is a test of timbre and I think the PX8 sounds more natural in that regard.

PX8 for timbre

Hip-Hop/Rap/Alternative

Numb - Jay Z & Linking Park

Same story, the beat is more engaging and the song sounds more ‘colourful’ on the PX8. The Bathys feels like a clear window to the music, when Chester’s vocal kicks in I find it more emotive and involving on PX8 but clear and cripsier on Bathys.

I think this song benefits a lot from the added energy the PX8 adds to the table.

Winner PX8

Girlfriend impressions

My gf picked up the PX8 and Bathys because she liked how they looked. I didn’t tell her what I was upto. She really dug the PX8. I asked her to try the Bathys too and she gave me her opinion, note, I haven’t told her anything about my impressions or conclusions.

Run Boy Run - Woodkid (her choice)

She listented to the PX8 first and loved it. Then she had a go on Bathys and switched between them a few times. Quotes as they were said:

“The voice is further away” - on Bathys
“It is good though.” on Bathys
“it’s a bit..How can I say, sharp? it’s not hitting the nerves in the same way…” - On Bathys

“On the focals everything is on the same level? does that make sense. The instruments are the same volume, which isn’t how it should be, I think. On the Bowers and Wilkins the singer is in the center and the instruments around that part, but not on the same level, it sounds more like a concert. I think these ones (Focal) would be good for the song you showed me (Lorn - Electronic Music). I like the bowers ones a lot more they sound more alive.”

I know eerily similar to what I’m saying, but I did not prompt her or tell her which I preferred overall. She’s not a newbie to this stuff, as a disclaimer, she has an astonishingly good ear musically, used to be a singer & voice actress. Has a musical memory I wish I had as a guitarist…Not saying this makes her opinion more valid, just saying she doesn’t have an untrained ear and can pick out sounds well enough.

Overall

(Above is a sample of the tracks, I did quite a lot more spread over 3 sessions but didn’t want this post to become absurdly long)

I think these are two different presentations and sound signatures. Coming from a desktop setup, especially a focal setup like me, I’m almost always on my Stellia, from that perspective the Bathys may be more agreeable, certainly initially. They have a very clear sound, with a holographic presentation that is more spherical and what I’m used to.

The PX8 create a more cohesive soundstage, kind of like listening to speakers or a concert, layering sounds closer together but retaining almost all the detail Bathys present.

They’re different enough that I can see people preferring either. But given the use case I think generally the PX8 might be better suited for on the fly. Personally I have a pretty big leaning toward PX8 at this point, which is a huge surprise for me as I expected the Bathys to trounce the PX8, to be honest, given the Focal driver onboard and how good i know their closed backs can be.

The PX8 just has a brilliant sense of energy and life. once you put away the analysts glasses and just enjoy, it is supremely fun and emotive. The quality of the bass, and the thickness in the midrange renders both guitars and vocals with a delectable quality. It's hard to isolate why it's so enjoyable, some tint of magic got in there. And i think that’s what I’d personally seek from a ANC headphone, others may differ.

Bathys provides those floating details, those nice little surprises you’re used to from desk headphones. That age old trope ‘I can hear new details in my songs’ will bear true hear, Bathys will do fantastic stuff with detail, especially in electronic music. It will demand attention and even wow at points. I think it will impress the inner analyst more, and I think it is excellent for electronic music.

I’m going to spend a few more days with each now. But at this point, about 10 hours or so on each, I’m pretty darn happy with the PX8 as my ANC headphone and probably wouldn't pick up Bathys again if it wasn't to do a bit more testing.

Ps. There has been talk of comparing Airpods max to these. I don’t think they’re close, I shipped mine out last week, but I’ve spent plenty of time with them. These both provide noticeably superior sound quality imo.

The testing crew

Catching up on everyone’s impressions and yours is amazing. Great write up. Thank you Sir.

I own the Aonic 50, which I (gladly) chose over the original PX. I really like the A50 but it was half the price of the current PX8, so I do understand the differences. (edit: I do love the fact that the A50 can be driven wired and passive, an absolute treat with my Onyx)

I just splurged (for my tight budget) on the Advar (waiting for them to arrive...) so I couldn’t but wonder getting the PX8. But I would, if I could.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #592 of 5,138
Catching up on everyone’s impressions and yours is amazing. Great write up. Thank you Sir.

I own the Aonic 50, which I (gladly) chose over the original PX. I really like the A50 but it was half the price of the current PX8, so I do understand the differences. (edit: I do love the fact that the A50 can be driven wired and passive, an absolute treat with my Onyx)

I just splurged (for my tight budget) on the Advar (waiting for them to arrive...) so I couldn’t but wonder getting the PX8. But I would, if I could.
I found the Aonic 50 to be soulless. Critically great, like details popped, but it had no..oomph? Shall we say? It didn’t move me. Great underrated sound for someone who likes that.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #594 of 5,138
Ya it must be an iOS thing. All my wireless headphones are plenty loud.

Yeah I haven't gone higher than 60% with the MLs. Could also be track and source related.

Yes, is track/album related is very important. For example, with several Bowie or Radiohead albums the volume of this albums/masters is very high and 70% is uncomfortable loud for me. But others albums of from 1950s to 1980s are ok and I can going sometimes 80% or little more depending in the album or particular track.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #595 of 5,138
Yes, is track/album related is very important. For example, with several Bowie or Radiohead albums the volume of this albums/masters is very high and 70% is uncomfortable loud for me. But others albums of from 1950s to 1980s are ok and I can going sometimes 80% or little more depending in the album or particular track.
Man 1950’s music is an absolute crapshoot as to the quality. Some of those albums were mixed absolutely atrociously lol even given the limitations of the age.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #596 of 5,138

Thanks Angelom for the confirmation. That's good to hear. Now I just have to wait on them to ship. If the sound quality is as good as you and many others are saying, the 5909 will be replaced.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #597 of 5,138
Curious as to how ANC compares between PX8 and Apple AirPods Max

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #598 of 5,138
I'm fairly new to the forum. Currently I use the Maze Empyrean when home to steam music through Roon from my NAS. I primarily use my iPhone or iPad ISO system to stream my HIREZ music files. While traveling I use Bose NC700 (not the greatest sound wise) or CIEM's (wired). The PX8 have captured my attention for using BT and getting higher quality from the music. I listen to rock, jazz, classical primarily. I don't use my headphones for talking on the phone. Does anyone have experience with using Roon to stream music with the PX8 over iPhone/iPad IOS systems? Is Roon supported bt the PX8? If not that would be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #600 of 5,138
Does anyone have experience with using Roon to stream music with the PX8 over iPhone/iPad IOS systems? Is Roon supported bt the PX8? If not that would be a deal breaker for me.
I have not used Roon before, but wouldn't the question be is Roon supported on iOS? You are talking about listening to Roon tracks from an iOS device via Bluetooth right? Sorry, just trying to understand the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back