Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #76 of 5,215
Was very close to ordering these tonight, but I think I'll wait for impressions. I love my B&W P9, and if these are close and wireless it'll be a no brainer. Hoping for big things here, these PX8s might even rival premium closed backs like Celestee/Alegia and aeon.

I am a little bit less convinced there .. In day to day scenarios I do discern (or have the impression of discerning) a slightly better quality with LDAC @990kbps than with APTX HD @576kbps. In that sense APTX Lossless has a bandwith of approx 1Mbps, putting it at the level of LDAC, with similar limitations that apply around bandwith versus sound quality. Although never having experienced APTX Lossless myself, I would nonetheless expect that I should be able to discern at least a small difference in quality :)

(To what extent that would warrant a progressively higher cost of ownership is up to everyone to determine for him/herself. I however am currently super happy with my ML 5909 :xf_cool: )
The discussion about BT codecs is always a bit odd, like people are worried that driver performance won't matter much if you're on AAC/Aptx or whatver.
Playing Stellia on AAC via a bluetooth dongle the difference from them to Airpods Max is astonishing. I think people should relax and realise that the bluetooth bottleneck is way less than they think, and a better performing driver is still very obvious even on Aptx.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #77 of 5,215
Was very close to ordering these tonight, but I think I'll wait for impressions. I love my B&W P9, and if these are close and wireless it'll be a no brainer. Hoping for big things here, these PX8s might even rival premium closed backs like Celestee/Alegia and aeon.

The discussion about BT codecs is always a bit odd, like people are worried that driver performance won't matter much if you're on AAC/Aptx or whatver.
Playing Stellia on AAC via a bluetooth dongle the three actual difference from them to Airpods Max is astonishing. I think people should relax and realise that the bluetooth bottleneck is way less than they think, and a better performing driver is still very obvious even on Aptx.

This is my take as well. When they come in I'll write up a review after 2 or 3 days of heavy usage. I might actually take them with me to Best buy so I can compare them directly to the s2's and the XM5s.

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #78 of 5,215
Waiting for reviews from fellow Head-fi'ers before making the jump...

Particularly interested in:
-Difference between px8 and px7 s2 to ascertain whether the price bump is worth it.
-Soundstage impressions as want to use them for movies, hence it is key.
-Bass characteristics. (Still remember the bass on P7 wireless; crazy good and made everything exponentially enjoyable).
-Brightness as I prefer bright sounding headphones, hence why I sold a number of other headphones (APM, XM4).
One of my favourite headphones is Momentum 3. They hit the nail on a variety of factors that I consider key.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #79 of 5,215
Waiting for reviews from fellow Head-fi'ers before making the jump...

Particularly interested in:
-Difference between px8 and px7 s2 to ascertain whether the price bump is worth it.
-Soundstage impressions as want to use them for movies, hence it is key.
-Bass characteristics. (Still remember the bass on P7 wireless; crazy good and made everything exponentially enjoyable).
-Brightness as I prefer bright sounding headphones, hence why I sold a number of other headphones (APM, XM4).
One of my favourite headphones is Momentum 3. They hit the nail on a variety of factors that I consider key.
What did you think of the px7 s1s. I found that they had a dark sound through the mids but the trouble was actually harsh on some recordings that featured chimes or xylophone or similar sort of very ringy instruments

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #80 of 5,215
Well, that's quite a last minute price hike. I believe it was what, $549 when announced a month or two ago? My dealer pre-ordered for $549 as well. But for $699? These better blow the PX7 S2's away lol.
I just got Px7 S2s for 250€ in mint condition.
I doubt these are worth almost 3x the price. But I'll give them a go if I can find them somewhere.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #81 of 5,215
I just got Px7 S2s for 250€ in mint condition.
I doubt these are worth almost 3x the price. But I'll give them a go if I can find them somewhere.
How did you get it so cheap??

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #83 of 5,215
I think i'll wait for reviews on this one... B&W never get comfort right. They could be the best sounding BT headphones ever but at that price they should be the most comfortable too.
FWIW, the PX7 Carbon with aftermarket lambskin pads is very comfortable. I went through a lot of headphones recently to find a new set of ANC cans, and settled on the PX7 Carbon with those aftermarket pads.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #84 of 5,215
FWIW, the PX7 Carbon with aftermarket lambskin pads is very comfortable. I went through a lot of headphones recently to find a new set of ANC cans, and settled on the PX7 Carbon with those aftermarket pads.

Do you have a link by chance? I'm totally fine with the stock earpads but my wife has commented occasionally about hers being uncomfortable for long usage. Would be happy to pick some up for her.

As for the PX8s, I'm waiting to hear more reviews... they may be overkill for me compared to the S2s, but I'm intrigued how much better the carbon driver performs.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #85 of 5,215
Do you have a link by chance? I'm totally fine with the stock earpads but my wife has commented occasionally about hers being uncomfortable for long usage. Would be happy to pick some up for her.

As for the PX8s, I'm waiting to hear more reviews... they may be overkill for me compared to the S2s, but I'm intrigued how much better the carbon driver performs.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...mbskin-Replacement-Ear-Pad_1600525864678.html

Get the lambskin pads, not the protein leather.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #86 of 5,215
It is bit weird for this one. I mean when the PX7 II arrived you could have the first reviews unboxing etc on YouTube but for this one PX8 its zero. It is really dead quiet. Even on the normal Hi-F front , only basic press releases etc… Still hoping that this is the First proper new B&W since the P7 of old

B

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #88 of 5,215
It is bit weird for this one. I mean when the PX7 II arrived you could have the first reviews unboxing etc on YouTube but for this one PX8 its zero. It is really dead quiet. Even on the normal Hi-F front , only basic press releases etc… Still hoping that this is the First proper new B&W since the P7 of old

B
I've been surprised too... when the S2s were announced there were reviews from larger outlets and YT channels, previews from others, etc. whereas this response is relatively tepid from those same outlets. I love my PX7s (which I upgrade from P3 and P5s previously) so I'm excited to hear how this compares to them, the S2s, and the P7s that I always hear about (but never got to myself).

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #90 of 5,215
Does any one have review units of this? Do we have to wait so long to get a proper review
There are no reviews at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back