Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,886 of 5,215
I‘ve just bought a pair of Focal Bathys to replace my AirPod Max’s , but while out demoing I tried a pair of PX8’s. Although they sounded more open I thought they sounded so close to my P7Ws, I did wonder was it worth buying them, so I bought the Bathys. I sold my original P7W’s a few years ago and missed their sound so much, I had to buy a “new” second hand pair. They sounded as good as I remembered plus had new parts from B&W to fix the “sticky“ glue problem. There’s no doubt the PX8’s sound great and we’re very comfortable but I also like the Bathys sound so my old P7w’s cover my classic rock playing and the Bathy‘s cover nearly everything else.
This is clearly where the P7W shine. Magic mid range.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #3,889 of 5,215
I was about to purchase the McLaren edition but they do seem to look a lot more gray than I expected?
I would be more worried about the contrast orange 😂
But sure it is gray. And it is hard to show in pictures how dark it is.
Personally I would not order these unless I had seen them live.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #3,890 of 5,215
One of the folks posted some pictures of his earlier in this thread, not sure if you saw those or not. Might help you decide.

Yes, these are what actually made me doubt the purchase. A lot lighter gray than expected.

I would be more worried about the contrast orange 😂
But sure it is gray. And it is hard to show in pictures how dark it is.
Personally I would not order these unless I had seen them live.

It's a matter of taste haha :p

The 007 looks great as well, I just don't like the 007 logo on top.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #3,891 of 5,215
It's a matter of taste haha :p

The 007 looks great as well, I just don't like the 007 logo on top.
I have the black version and it is of course the most subtle looking but you could never go wrong with black I guess.
Will keep it foreller. Unless they make a cognac or chocolate brown version 😎

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #3,893 of 5,215
I have the black version and it is of course the most subtle looking but you could never go wrong with black I guess.
Will keep it foreller. Unless they make a cognac or chocolate brown version 😎

Same logic I use, love my black version. Don't need to worry about getting tired of the colors :)

You know what, you both are right. Ordering the black version as well.

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #3,894 of 5,215
I recently purchased an 'open box' pair of PX8 on eBay, and noticed the instruction manual is a 'draft' version. The price was very good (£400) and they sound great to my ears, but seller hasn't replied to my message about where they were purchased (ideally would get a receipt to register warranty). Given the low price/quick sale and the manual, do you think they could be an early production pair? They register fine with the B&W app, and they sound great, so I assume they aren't fake.

Trying to decide if I should be sending them back.

PXL_20230420_140941084.jpg

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #3,895 of 5,215
I recently purchased an 'open box' pair of PX8 on eBay, and noticed the instruction manual is a 'draft' version. The price was very good (£400) and they sound great to my ears, but seller hasn't replied to my message about where they were purchased (ideally would get a receipt to register warranty). Given the low price/quick sale and the manual, do you think they could be an early production pair? They register fine with the B&W app, and they sound great, so I assume they aren't fake.

PXL_20230420_140941084.jpg

Very odd! They definitely must come from an early production run, if they're meant to be a final production unit at all!

If you check on the headphones themselves, do you find the serial number and all certification labels printed/etched in the usual location?

In addition to them sounding potentially slightly different due to being maybe a validation unit, what would scare me is if their serial number comes up as something unusual to B&W in the moment (hopefully not) you reach out to them for a warranty RMA.

Unless the seller comes back with an explanation that makes sense, I'd personally send them back.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #3,896 of 5,215
Very odd! They definitely must come from an early production run, if they're meant to be a final production unit at all!

If you check on the headphones themselves, do you find the serial number and all certification labels printed/etched in the usual location?

In addition to them sounding potentially slightly different due to being maybe a validation unit, what would scare me is if their serial number comes up as something unusual to B&W in the moment (hopefully not) you reach out to them for a warranty RMA.

Unless the seller comes back with an explanation that makes sense, I'd personally send them back.
Unless you have a receipt from an authorized reseller B&W will not honor any warranty. Had they not fixed the firmware, that would be a problem, but I doubt the hardware changed after the manual was printed. If they are in great condition and you like the sound I don't see a reason not to keep them.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #3,897 of 5,215

For what it’s worth, I bought the Px8 day 1 and my first quick start guide had draft on it as well. I wouldn’t be that bothered by it. You can email. B&W with the serial number and they can tell you when it was made. Or look at the box where the serial is, should have a way to tell.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #3,898 of 5,215
I’ve never had a pair of campfires but I’ve always been curious. I need your opinion.
FWIW, I have only owned the Vegas and tried the Andromeda and Atlas. The Vegas and Atlas are okay, not for the price, though. The Andromedas are good if you like that kind of sound signature.

While I have never RMA with them, there was one occasion where I emailed them with an issue on my Vegas. They were very responsive and even offered to service the buds without even asking for the receipt (it was a second-hand purchase) or minding the country where I live (which apparently matters for several brands which do not have a local presence). I did not end up sending the buds to them, though, since what I thought was an issue is not an issue (the driver flexes more than any other buds I have ever owned).

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #3,899 of 5,215
Just wanted to report back from my six months of ownership.
I have owned all of the B&W headphones to date except for the original P5s1.
I have tried or owned a handful of Focal headphones including Bathys.
I also own a pair of open headphones that cost three times as much as PX8. (Hifiman Arya)
I listen mainly sitting at my desk (home) when working, or walking around the house doing chores, or when travelling (air/train).
Even when at my desk, I find myself reaching for PX8 more often than Bathys or Arya. Arya is a great and technically superior headphone, but it just doesnt offer the same ease of listening, the same warm signature and the comfort of PX8. Also there is the cable. And the fact that PX8 allwos me to multipoint to both an iDevice and my computer, and take calls without taking them off.

I have now sold my Bathys. They are good but just didnt get any listening time here. I took them on a trip and was disappointed with them as a travel companion. PX8 is smaller, better ANC and overall just more versatile.
Will sell my old Sony XM3.
And probably sell my Aryas...

All in all, I am super happy with the performance of the PX8. Real home run.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #3,900 of 5,215
Great! My pair is on the way! :sunglasses:
After testing and dismissing the Momentum 4 and Sony XM5 for various reasons that you can see here, I ordered the PX8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back