Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Feb 18, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #3,241 of 5,138
Sop as cressy mentioned it's probably a calibration not a battery capacity or charging issue.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #3,244 of 5,138
Another thing I hadn't really considered are the M4s. I know they're not in the same league as the PX8 but a decent option in terms of bang for your buck?
The Momentum 4 are excellent for the price. But the comparison with PX8 is not really fair, they are not even in the same league, especially when taking materials and build into account.
That said, if I had a lower budget the M4 would be top of my list.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #3,245 of 5,138
I'd say it's highly likely. Still not happy about it myself but lesser of the two evils I guess.
If it happens again and they stay at 35% or 39% max could you please record the actual use/run time?
Then we can be sure.
Thank you!

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #3,246 of 5,138
If it happens again and they stay at 35% or 39% max could you please record the actual use/run time?
Then we can be sure.
Thank you!
The only way to be sure is to charge them full and let them run til they die…

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #3,247 of 5,138
Yes but he won't know what full is if they only show 40% say.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #3,248 of 5,138
Then we can be sure.
Thank you!
Also, I wouldn't expect 30 hours, this is just marketing nonsense like when they tell you a car will do 60mpg but in reality this is when you drive at 10mph in a vacuum. I reckon I got around 24 hours out of mine with ANC on and at around 80% volume.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #3,250 of 5,138
Also, I wouldn't expect 30 hours, this is just marketing nonsense like when they tell you a car will do 60mpg but in reality this is when you drive at 10mph in a vacuum. I reckon I got around 24 hours out of mine with ANC on and at around 80% volume.
Very true, 24 hours would be equivalent to a 100% charge not 40%, good enough for me.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #3,251 of 5,138
I deleted my app then reinstalled it. My battery now shows 96% which is where I would expect it to be.
Glad yours is working. After seeing your post, I tried pairing mine with a Windows PC just to see the battery percentage. Windows is showing 68% as well (fully charged according to the LED light on the headphones but also 68% according to my LG V60 and Samsung S22+ phones). No app involved here. I actually got it up to 70% yesterday by plugging in and unplugging but after recharging again last night, I am down to 70%.

Still waiting for a response from B&W on shipping but probably won't get a response until mid next week given the holiday weekend here in the US.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #3,252 of 5,138
Glad yours is working. After seeing your post, I tried pairing mine with a Windows PC just to see the battery percentage. Windows is showing 68% as well (fully charged according to the LED light on the headphones but also 68% according to my LG V60 and Samsung S22+ phones). No app involved here. I actually got it up to 70% yesterday by plugging in and unplugging but after recharging again last night, I am down to 70%.

Still waiting for a response from B&W on shipping but probably won't get a response until mid next week given the holiday weekend here in the US.
Have you tried continuing charging it after the solid green light?

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #3,253 of 5,138
How many

How many run hours do you get with 70% charge?

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #3,254 of 5,138
Does that mean they show say 40% but the actual run time is still around 30 hours?
That's a good question. If this battery were a chatbot, I think the answer would be "yes, no, and maybe". I once tried to calibrate it based on various info I read on lithium ion batteries, by getting it to 100 then drawing it down as far as it would go, then repeat. The first problem with this lying battery is what is the real 100? Because Its typical behavior is to stop charging and show 100, only to then show the "real" level after a quick plug-in plug-out.

What I consider the "real" level is when discharge time is 1% every 18 minutes or so, which works out to about 30 hours. I've been there, from 100 down to about 5% or so, when it shut off. But then it played the same recharge games, never a smooth sail back to 100.

But I agree that this is not a capacity issue. I can sometimes coax it back to normal-ish behavior. I usually put it back on charge after it drops to around 40%. I can observing it blinking green for over an hour or so, but I have no idea what it will show when I turn it back on. Sometimes if I leave it overnight like that I will turn it on in the morning and get a 5% red light and the dreaded, scolding British lady "battery low" bong, then do the on-off, plug in-out voodoo and get it back to 40%, 53%, 99%, whatever. Real fun.

Anyway, as crazy it is, It's actually livable for me, enough so I don't bother with experimenting with battery replacement. But when I'm a little less busy with other stuff I'll probably give that a try and post back here.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #3,255 of 5,138
That's a good question. If this battery were a chatbot, I think the answer would be "yes, no, and maybe". I once tried to calibrate it based on various info I read on lithium ion batteries, by getting it to 100 then drawing it down as far as it would go, then repeat. The first problem with this lying battery is what is the real 100? Because Its typical behavior is to stop charging and show 100, only to then show the "real" level after a quick plug-in plug-out.

What I consider the "real" level is when discharge time is 1% every 18 minutes or so, which works out to about 30 hours. I've been there, from 100 down to about 5% or so, when it shut off. But then it played the same recharge games, never a smooth sail back to 100.

But I agree that this is not a capacity issue. I can sometimes coax it back to normal-ish behavior. I usually put it back on charge after it drops to around 40%. I can observing it blinking green for over an hour or so, but I have no idea what it will show when I turn it back on. Sometimes if I leave it overnight like that I will turn it on in the morning and get a 5% red light and the dreaded, scolding British lady "battery low" bong, then do the on-off, plug in-out voodoo and get it back to 40%, 53%, 99%, whatever. Real fun.

Anyway, as crazy it is, It's actually livable for me, enough so I don't bother with experimenting with battery replacement. But when I'm a little less busy with other stuff I'll probably give that a try and post back here.
Is this not insane for a £600 set of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back