...Bought the Sony MDR-XB500, true audiophile cans!
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Syndicat3

100+ Head-Fier
Just kidding, of course. Now that I have your attention...

I just bought the Sony MDR-XB500 for about $50 because of InnerFiedlity's review and this thread

An audiophile friend recommended the ATH-M50 which was recently on sale for $99 USD, but I am a basshead and I instead opted for portable, exaggerated, fun headphones for electronic & rap that I hear can EQ well. Luckily, I can return the XB500s within 30 days, S&H included, if they turn out to be complete and utter garbage.

Here is my reasoning for opting for these headphones: I am an FL Studio amateur and I already have the ATH-M20, which I think I can use for somewhat accurate monitoring. The M50 looks like a very safe, overly recommended headphone that's isn't portable. I was concerned that I'd get it and quickly my interest would steer towards upper mid-range headphones that I've been looking at (Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro & HiFiMAN HE-400, for example). While I wouldn't be interested in purchasing them right now, I might in the future, so rather than spending thousands on headphones in between, I could just shell out for the DT990s or HE-400s and then focus on properly amping it.

Did I done goof picking up these bass canons? My only reference is a Logitech G35 so, clearly, I am an audiophile virgin. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Just kidding, of course. Now that I have your attention...

I just bought the Sony MDR-XB500 for about $50 because of InnerFiedlity's review and this thread

An audiophile friend recommended the ATH-M50 which was recently on sale for $99 USD, but I am a basshead and I instead opted for portable, exaggerated, fun headphones for electronic & rap that I hear can EQ well. Luckily, I can return the XB500s within 30 days, S&H included, if they turn out to be complete and utter garbage.

Here is my reasoning for opting for these headphones: I am an FL Studio amateur and I already have the ATH-M20, which I think I can use for somewhat accurate monitoring. The M50 looks like a very safe, overly recommended headphone that's isn't portable. I was concerned that I'd get it and quickly my interest would steer towards upper mid-range headphones that I've been looking at (Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro & HiFiMAN HE-400, for example). While I wouldn't be interested in purchasing them right now, I might in the future, so rather than spending thousands on headphones in between, I could just shell out for the DT990s or HE-400s and then focus on properly amping it.

Did I done goof picking up these bass canons? My only reference is a Logitech G35 so, clearly, I am an audiophile virgin. 

where did you get the xb500 for 50$?

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 18
They were at https://skinnymargins.com for $50 with $5 ground shipping, but I guess I got the last pair because they've now been removed from the site. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 18
I think for the price, they're probably best entry into 'super-bass' headphones. 
You can get a more accurate clearer sound for the price, but not with that much enjoyable fun bass. 
Not really my taste though.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Screw it. They let me pay when they weren't in stock. 

So, now I'm just going to use that money towards some good quality headphones. 

In the back of my head I was kind of regretting my situation anyway.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 18
^want any recommendations?

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 18
Yes, please.

The only headphones I have in my sight at the moment are the HE-400, perhaps when they drop in price. I've read great things about them, how they don't require an expensive amp to shine and that they are low impedance, so instead of buying a bunch of headphones in between, the idea of jumping straight to such a high quality pair of headphones is appealing to me. 

However, I'm not looking to purchase until I research a wide variety of headphones. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 18
Will you use the headphone for monitoring/mixing? Because then the HE-400 is not the way to go

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 18
Also a short list of the musical genres you listen to would help narrow down our recommendations and your choices.
Although, DT990 does all genres almost perfectly anyway IMO.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 18
I see you mentioned my thread 
wink_face.gif

So, do you have the same music tastes as me? If so, I'd like to know a few things about the XB500's from you...

1. Do they have good seperation and clarity on Dubstep tracks?
2. Will the bass vibrate your ears at 40% volume?
3. How well do these perform with other genres?
4. If you've ever had the Crossfade LPs, do you know if these have worse, same, or better sound seperation?

If you can clarify me on these questions ASAP, that would be very helpful.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Hi bud,

I didn't actually get them. I ordered them on this site but then they were removed the next day and they told me my order was cancelled because none were in stock. 

I read a lot of reviews about them and how they are bass heavy but after I ordered them I realized they probably aren't worth it and I should put my money towards headphones that have better quality bass, great highs and great mids.

I'm now kind of glad they aren't in stock and this money can go towards something amazing in the $200-$350 range.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 18
Will you use the headphone for monitoring/mixing? Because then the HE-400 is not the way to go

I have a pair of ATH-M20s that I use for amateur FL studio mixing. I don't really want headphones for mixing.

I want great all around headphones for my FLAC and 320 kbps library with a great sound stage, that aren't lacking in bass and sound great. Maybe the HE-400s aren't what I want. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Hi bud,

I didn't actually get them. I ordered them on this site but then they were removed the next day and they told me my order was cancelled because none were in stock. 

I read a lot of reviews about them and how they are bass heavy but after I ordered them I realized they probably aren't worth it and I should put my money towards headphones that have better quality bass, great highs and great mids.

I'm now kind of glad they aren't in stock and this money can go towards something amazing in the $200-$350 range.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood :/

Sorry! :D

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 18
...Or maybe the HE-400 is the headphone for you. I see no reason why not, unless you are very treble sensitive. I think they do very good for EDM and possibly also rap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back