Bought Pioneer HDJ-2000's, are they right for me?
Sep 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

smitmat11

New Head-Fier
Bought these on the back of hearing good things about them from my brother's friend (who's a DJ) and from the reviews I'd read online, but now beginning to think I may have jumped the gun a bit...

While I've always been interested in DJing and intend to eventually get into it once I have the time and equipment, initially I'll be using the headphones for casual listening, be it while studying, at home, travelling etc. Rather stupidly I didn't really research how appropriate they are for this kind of use before I bought them, and from what I've read since they're not ideal for use with an iPhone or other portable devices as they don't possess the necessary power. Is this indeed the case? Would I need an amp in order to get the best out of them?

Basically I bought them through the excitement of finally finding a store which sold them and the fact they're regarded as top of the range, yet now I'm left wondering whether I shouldn't have dived in and rather looked for something more appropriate and less pricey. The Sennheiser HD 25's obviously have a great reputation and are a fair bit cheaper, while I've noticed the Pioneer HDJ-500's have got great reviews and are cheaper still, would these be better options for me at the current time?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 3
I Dj as a hobby and have always kept my Dj phones separate from my other phones Ihide for casual listening, I have a pair of Ultrasone DJ1 Pros that I Dj with that cant be driven very well by my iPod and iPhone. Dj phones tend to be ruggedly built with emphasis on bass (although this is not universal). The hdj-2000s have a good reputation for a DJ headphone, the question is whether you can tolerate them for use for other activities,

Because you plan on DJing, i suggest rather then asking whether you will be able to get the most of the cans, to see how you like their sound listening to them with portable equipment etc. You can also connect them to a home receiver if you have one or another higher power source such as a Dj mixer to get a feel of the difference in sound from say an iPod or your laptop to a mixer which pumps a lot more power to headphones. If you don't like the sound or can't get the volume levels up to the levels you want on your laptop or other portable equipment, then it would be time to consider getting a different headphone.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

and from what I've read since they're not ideal for use with an iPhone or other portable devices as they don't possess the necessary power. Is this indeed the case? Would I need an amp in order to get the best out of them?

The HDJ-2000 do not need an amp; they are quite easy to drive. I run mine straight from my fuze. 

Now in terms of bang for the buck, the HDJ-500 are a better deal in my opinion. The 2000 has better sound and build quality, but it comes at a pretty hefty price premium compared to the 500. Skip the HDJ-1500, they sound dreadful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back