Bought a pair of DT990's 600ohm last week...having second thoughts..please help
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 21
Ok long shot here but what the DT 880. More mids and more neutral vs the DT990 and more bass then the Q701. (I really dislike the fit of the AKG k7xx series though so I am biased)
This just a thought if you don't like the DT990. Could also look at the Philips X1.
I say try the DT990 though get a feel for what you don't like or like first before you go all credit card happy.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #18 of 21
I will look into EQing them to see how they feel

What about the treble on these cans? Is it as ear piercing as some make it out to be? As stated in the OP, I enjoy Nightwish (especially the older stuff with Tarja which is a Soprano vocalist). Will it make my ears bleed? :)

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
I will look into EQing them to see how they feel

What about the treble on these cans? Is it as ear piercing as some make it out to be? As stated in the OP, I enjoy Nightwish (especially the older stuff with Tarja which is a Soprano vocalist). Will it make my ears bleed? :)

Honestly, when you get them. Listen to them and decide for your self. Whom ever you got them from they can be returned with minimal usage. Just be careful with them 

And your Magni is very easy to either sell back or return to your buyer. You can always make a sale on eBay or here at head fi, for around 75% of your purchase price. And trust me there are DOZENS of Hybrid Tube amps for around $100 dollars. A HYBRID tube amp is going to be your best bet. As they are cheaper. plus there are dozens of tubes that will change the sound! 

In addition keep in mind most instruments are not purely mid bass or treble but a mix of these, that being said while the mids are not as warm and lush as the dt 990 as they are on say my w1000x, they are still very enjoyable. Mids still have punch and warmth due to the little bit of bass that is usually accompanied with lower mids.

In addition this is your first headphone purchase I doubt you've had a chance to really grasp the details that make the mids in something like the w1000x and the Dt 990 different, other than "loudness" 

But take it from me, out of my Solid State Matrix M Stage and oDac the mids in this track are very enjoyable

The horns that are in the track have a nice warmth push to them, it's ever so gentle but it's there and it is very enjoyable! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #20 of 21
So did you try them? Sorry I missed the thread have both the 990s and Q701s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back