Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Apr 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,097 of 2,108
  If this was on my forum, I would consider it a troll. I have no interest in d**k wagging over who has the most authority about what a headphone sounds like. I just like to make stuff, and I know what sounds good to me. And I happen to like the K1Ks. So we came up with something that I think works well with it.

I've never heard them and only know what I've read. I don't have the cash flow to purchase everything (anything?) so unfortunately reviews are my primary mechanism to understand what is what.  My comment wasn't intended to rise hackles at all.  *shrug*  It was  the first thing googled, read and I found and read about the K1000's. Which happened to be negative. The K1K is before my foray into headphones so I don't know the history...(just what I've read) or what they sound like for that matter.

If you're working on something that is pairing up with the 1K1's well, and I take the review at face value... then it stands to reason the amp might eek out more detail with other similarly driven phones as well. Sounds great. 

Going back now and reading previous posts I can see how it my post might have come across. Sorry about that. It wasn't the intent. I'm am not a troll! LOL  I just have a foot stuck in my mouth most of the time.

I'm a believer in your product. A customer even. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,100 of 2,108
The question is whether the amp we designed to use with K1Ks is for speakers or headphones. I guess the answer is whether you consider K1Ks to be speakers or headphones. I kinda lean towards them being speakers for your ears. However I think PB is planning some switching that will let the amp work with all sorts of stuff, even IEMs - which if you saw the project you would probably find as wacky as I do. If you are all good children we might share the project at the upcoming Seattle group Head Fi meet at BHQ.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,101 of 2,108
Woohoo just received my Mainline shipping notification :atsmile:

Cheers Bottlehead Corp.    

Pins and needles? Excited for ya!

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,102 of 2,108
My Mainline just arrived!  I'll probably spray the primer today or tomorrow (as soon as it stops raining here in the SF bay area, never thought I'd be saying that during the worst drought in recorded history), then top coat before the weekend and letting it dry a week before starting the build next weekend.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Doc, isn't the Mainline intended to be a good match for AKG K1000?  I assumed that since the Mainline spec pages mention the balanced plug pinout matches AKG, that it was the amp you recommended for pairing with them.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,103 of 2,108
  My Mainline just arrived!  I'll probably spray the primer today or tomorrow (as soon as it stops raining here in the SF bay area, never thought I'd be saying that during the worst drought in recorded history), then top coat before the weekend and letting it dry a week before starting the build next weekend.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Doc, isn't the Mainline intended to be a good match for AKG K1000?  I assumed that since the Mainline spec pages mention the balanced plug pinout matches AKG, that it was the amp you recommended for pairing with them.

Congratulations on your new arrival I just checked my tracking number and to my surprise mine has arrived in the UK
atsmile.gif

Your item departed a transfer airport in Heathrow, London, UNITED KINGDOM on April 7, 2015 at 1:49 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,104 of 2,108
Grats rbc3!

Oh hey.. .Mine just made it across the border!

2015/04/07    11:25    RICHMOND, BC    Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,105 of 2,108

Most balanced headphone cables have gravitated to that four pin XLR connection, and they have pretty much adopted the AKG pinout configuration as a default since it was more or less the first can to use that connector. That adoption of it as a standard was why we chose that connector and that pinout and why we mention that we use it. Sorry if that was misleading. Of course one needs to look at the output power of the amplifier as a main criterion for its use with K1Ks. The Mainline at about 600 milliwatts of output power is pretty marginal for them. It was never intended that it would seriously run them, and I don't think you will find that we have said that it is recommended. On the other hand the 2wpc S.E.X. amp was found to be pretty good with K1Ks, even though rated quite a bit lower than what AKG specs for a minimum power requirement. 

The new amp was designed with K1Ks in mind and output power is more like 4-5 watts. Of course this is all relative to amp output impedance and the intended load, a load which may be different in the amp spec (like probably 8 ohms) than what is presented by the K1Ks (120 ohms IIRC). 

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,106 of 2,108
The mainline is here! But why is picking a top plate colour so hard? I've got Flat Antique Nickel Rust-Oleum, but I'm totally torn whether or not natural brushed aluminium is better.

Edit: Well, its on there. I used piece of carboard around the same size to get a feel for it.  Its really quite sparkly.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,107 of 2,108
I've sprayed all the top (showing) parts in flat white and painted the wood base with a steel gray stain.  My goal is for it to come out very modern to match modern furniture.  I'll take photos once the paint is dry and I have the parts mounted to the top plate.  I'll probably wait until next weekend for the paint to properly cure on the metal parts.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,108 of 2,108
  The mainline is here! But why is picking a top plate colour so hard? I've got Flat Antique Nickel Rust-Oleum, but I'm totally torn whether or not natural brushed aluminium is better.

Edit: Well, its on there. I used piece of carboard around the same size to get a feel for it.  Its really quite sparkly.

I've sprayed all the top (showing) parts in flat white and painted the wood base with a steel gray stain.  My goal is for it to come out very modern to match modern furniture.  I'll take photos once the paint is dry and I have the parts mounted to the top plate.  I'll probably wait until next weekend for the paint to properly cure on the metal parts.

Sounds like we have 2 very different looking Mainlines under construction. I can't wait to see some pics!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back