Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
May 7, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #631 of 2,108

Great find and thanks for sharing!  I've been trying to decide what attenuator to put in my ongoing wire build.  This seems like a great option!  

It does seam a reasonable price to experiment with I'm thinking in the Quickie or Crack and planned to go with the metal films -1dB/-6dB to start and might swap a few resistors out for something more boutique once I get a feel for the steppes most used.

May 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #632 of 2,108
Can anybody help with a ebay link I am looking for, I remember seeing a  link for a seller with a handle like navguy  or navyman who was selling cables wiring etc but have been unable to find it again. I think the link was from here?

May 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #633 of 2,108
  Can anybody help with a ebay link I am looking for, I remember seeing a  link for a seller with a handle like navguy  or navyman who was selling cables wiring etc but have been unable to find it again. I think the link was from here?

I think you are looking for Navships.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/navships

May 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #636 of 2,108
  ^^^ I know where you can get (solid) 20 AWG Solid Silver Plated Teflon Audio DIY Wire if you interested 

http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html  I like this wire...its very colorful 
basshead.gif

May 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #638 of 2,108

Cheers I am kind of thinking I would rather go either solid copper or solid silver rather than copper plated. I do have a pair of straight thru, silver with gold plating rca interconnects that I am tempted to cut up and use for signal wire. But as yet am undecided while pondering over the options.

Lets have the link anyhow as there is a high probability I will change my mind.
atsmile.gif

May 8, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #639 of 2,108

Cheers I am kind of thinking I would rather go either solid copper or solid silver rather than copper plated. I do have a pair of straight thru, silver with gold plating rca interconnects that I am tempted to cut up and use for signal wire. But as yet am undecided while pondering over the options.

Lets have the link anyhow as there is a high probability I will change my mind.
atsmile.gif

same source 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380867870799

10 feet of silver plated oxygen free copper wire with teflon insulation. This is 20 AWG solid wire with 1 strand. This is very high quality mil. Spec. wire made by Weico. The mil-spec number is M16878/4.  It is rated at 600V 200C. The OD of this wire is aprox. 0.0520 inch (1.32mm) 

May 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #640 of 2,108
I have only subjective listening to back this up (and an interesting article I read, but can't find), but I find plated cables sound consistently inferior to solid, pure cables. I always choose solid copper or solid silver before choosing plated cables.

The only explanation I've read that makes any sense is that the plated layer creates a point where reflections can form thus creating some noise in the original signal. In my experience, plated cables often have a slight harshness compared to pure cables so perhaps there's something to this theory...

May 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #641 of 2,108
All due respect, but I highly doubt it makes a difference whether it's plated or not. I mean the connections are joined with lead an tin within the amp and the cables/connectors are made with gold plating over some other metal, the headphone jack is nickel plated. Best not to get involved in cable dogma.

May 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #642 of 2,108
I have only subjective listening to back this up (and an interesting article I read, but can't find), but I find plated cables sound consistently inferior to solid, pure cables. I always choose solid copper or solid silver before choosing plated cables.

The only explanation I've read that makes any sense is that the plated layer creates a point where reflections can form thus creating some noise in the original signal. In my experience, plated cables often have a slight harshness compared to pure cables so perhaps there's something to this theory...

Curious.  I swear by the navships teflon coated silver plated stuff, used it in many projects. For example in the S.E.X. amp i used,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380770809219 3 core from impedance boards to XLR socket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231178888917 2 core from RCA inputs to attenuator

May 9, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #643 of 2,108
  All due respect, but I highly doubt it makes a difference whether it's plated or not. I mean the connections are joined with lead an tin within the amp and the cables/connectors are made with gold plating over some other metal, the headphone jack is nickel plated. Best not to get involved in cable dogma.

I thought the same and I still don't know one way or the other (so not trying to convince anyone of anything). I first started wondering when I bought an upgrade cable for some SE535s and I found that my experience with it went in reverse of my expectations. Placebo effects go in the direction of our expectations so for it to go in reverse means that something was going on - I just don't know exactly what that something was.

After further tests of other cables, I continuously find that plated cables sound worse to me than pure copper or pure silver (although I tend to prefer copper). As I said, the plating thing is still just a theory and I don't know how anyone might measure it because it's so subtle and despite the human ear's relative insensitivity in some areas (such as volume level) it is insanely sensitive in other ways that may be more subtle than what we can / know how to measure (hence all the debate about headphone measurements, cables, etc.)

To summarise (before we go way off topic) I have no idea what the truth is and can only say what my experience is knowing that it is often different to the experiences of others so I'm just sharing, not preaching or convincing.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #644 of 2,108
On other topics, my new "output" caps arrived today (technically they're coupling caps of some technical description, but I'm calling them output caps because they are closer to the output than the other ones I'm changing)

Looking on the website I bought these from I thought they were about 120-150% the size of the 200uF power supply caps in the Mainline, but they're HUGE (in comparison to my expectations). I took a pic with an SD card to show the real life size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back