1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by loquah, Sep 24, 2013.
First

Back
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104
Next

Last
  1. bigfatpaulie

Oh my goodness YES!   +1,000,000,000!!!!

2. Loquah
    Couldn't agree more and I love being able to flip between different amps to enjoy different sounds even with the same headphones.

3. M3NTAL
    I still really enjoy the HD800 with the Smack. I'm always curious of what I'm missing with the Mainline though!

4. Loquah

Everything! [​IMG]

5. M3NTAL
    I don't know about that!  :)    I put a nice TKD pot and upgraded the caps on the Smack. They were the only two things that could use a little improvement. 

6. Loquah

Absolutely - I was totally kidding. Like Doc said earlier, different amps are about different sounds - not necessarily better / worse.

7. Doc B.
    Not to stir the pot, but I like the Mainline better myself. A bit more power and a bit more resolution than the Smack. That said, we still use a Smack to monitor Tape Project albums being duplicated in real time - an application that requires high resolution and accurate tonality.

8. M3NTAL
    Thank you Doc. That is what I was curious about.  The Smack isn't my goto for Planar headphones (lack of power), but I feel it is a real nice place to be with the HD800.

9. Loquah
    With my LCD-2s packed up for sale, I thought I'd give the HD800s some quality time with my S.E.X. and I'm really enjoying the combo as a different flavour from the HD800+Mainline combo I normally use. I guess it goes to Doc's earlier comments about the different amps. The Mainline is technically superior, but the S.E.X. has its own charms that I'm really enjoying with the HD800s.

10. dmhenley
    Installed Jupiter HT (.1uf) coupling caps last night. Will give them some time before trying to describe the change to sq.
    With 8 hours in, I'd say the improvement is what I was looking for. We'll see. Output caps coming soon.

11. Loquah
    That's in the SEX right?

12. dmhenley
    Oops. Yep, the Jupiters went into the SEX.
    Just got the notice my output caps shipped! Ordered the Jupiter HT 2.2uf - excited to see how they add to the mix.

13. dmhenley
    Now have approx. 30 hours in on the Jupiter HT output caps. Very nice - the change in sound quality is not subtle.
    Other changes in my system - tube swaps and NH cable break/switch - may be clouding the waters.

That said, I'm getting what I wanted: Tone! Texture.
    More presence and touch in mids - acoustic instruments more fleshy, yet natural and wrapped in airy highs.
    So....the space they're in is more illuminated but the instruments aren't bleached out.

14. Loquah
    Sounds perfect! What you're describing is quite similar to my experience with the Mundorf Silver / Gold / Oil except the SGOs might be a little thicker in the mids by the sound of it

15. dmhenley
    Ya, for me, I think ive squeezed enough out of the amp. Very very nice.

First

Back
84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104
Next

Last