Boston (New England) Meet Impressions
Jul 11, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #46 of 92
Hey gang,

Was away from the computer so just now getting through all of the posts. I'll get to posting pics from mine and Ray's cameras, as well as impressions and comments; hopefully tonight. A few clarification-type comments follow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Anyone take any more pictures of the woodied HD650's? Request for more pics!
eggosmile.gif

The woodies that Ray is holding are mine. I also took a pic of them on top of the Meridian (something I may never see again)…. 8~) I'll PM you a link from the FS forum if you can't find that one. Meridian+Raptor+my wood Senns equals possibly one less for-sale item…. It was magic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Is that a straight wire mini connecting the hornet? (and) A headifer told me he had a mil spec cable that sounded wonderful with his hornet, I was just wondering if that was the cable that I was informed of.

Right the first time, that's my crusty old Straightwire cable. Ray's cable was around (and was indeed in a different class) but I had mine in my hand and saw the Hornet open for use so dive-bombed it with my cable, the D25 Turbo, and the Moon-modified KSC-35s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmtBiker
BTW- I can't wait for DRP to finish turbo-charging my 25-S for free. Thanks, Dave

A - You were very polite to ignore the slight twitch in my left eye, which is a remnant of soldering two 20-pin SMD ICs together and replacing another 8-pin SMD, well over a year ago at that. My old nerves were sorely tested….

More to follow....

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #47 of 92
Nate, is that a KGSS I spy in your picture? That being said, were there any electrostatic headphones present at the meet?

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #48 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I'm sure we can arrange a Millett listen for you if you really want one. I'll be cranking out a few when I get back from my honeymoon just cause I have all the parts to do it.

Nice! I'll send you a PM about it later, then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Nate, is that a KGSS I spy in your picture? That being said, were there any electrostatic headphones present at the meet?

The only electrostats at the meet was my 404/313 setup. I know at least one person really liked it (not sure who, though). I think there was a confusion as to which source it was connected to - I'll remember to make it more clear the next time I bring the setup to a meet.

EDIT - Oh, and that's my Gilmore Reference and SACDmods 555ES that's in Nate's picture.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #49 of 92
Salt Peanuts and drp got it all figured out, and then we all chipped-in to spend a fine day in the Princess Room at the Royal Plaza Trade Center in Marlboro Mass.

meetboswideangle.jpg

It was a very serious meet.

meetbosgottodothisagain.jpg

Salt Peanuts studied the manual.

meetbossaltpeanutsstudies.jpg

Yikes ever so carefully evaluated optimal K1000 driver angle when driven by a Raptor.

meetbosyikes.jpg

Paul listened deeply for micro-detail on Salt Peanuts’ big rig.

meetbospaul.jpg

And Milletts were carefull A/B/C tested in the lab.

meetbosthemilletts.jpg

Ha ha ha! Just joking, we played like pigs in poop.

meetbosphotoshop.jpg

He’s called PhotoBob because he’s so damn photogenic!

meetbosphotobob.jpg

I just thought this was a bitchin meet box. Cool!

meetbosmeetbox.jpg

Telica made it clear to Immtbiker that the Grados didn’t do it for her. “Read my lips, I want some 880s…balanced!” Poor guy, now he’s got a double load on his wallet.

meetbosimmtbiker.jpg

I still think it was a serious meet…seriously good fun.

meetbostwo%20guysk1000.jpg

What a fine thing to have the chance to take a picture like this. I hope you all get to be in one just like it.

meetbosgroup.jpg

BTW, you'll notice how short Yikes looks in the back row...he was the only one not standing on a chair. Yes, he's the big man in audio.

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #50 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi RnB180....
If you are talking about that thick RED mini to mini interconnector that is connected to the Hornet in the two pictures above, the answer is, the cable is not mine, I believe it belongs to Dave "drp". Mine is the militery wire made of 20AWG about 10" long You might find the picture of it in NY meet impressions. Dave has many pictures that I know he will be posting & it will have the picture of the interconnector in it. To answer your's and other head-fiers question regarding selling any of those interconnectors, I would say sorry, no, There are great builders like JMT who makes some fine interconnectors with great clean work.
I am hoping to release the Hornet less than 2 months for NOW. I will post the pre-sale offer on Head-Fi soon to take orders.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Howdy Ray,

Mind clueing us in on the presale price? Youre really holding us in suspense!

meetbossaltpeanutsstudies.jpg

Score! I see my cable. THanks for bringing it with ya! hahaha
WoOoT

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #51 of 92
Well I wanted to see the group photos we had and any other pictures really, Of what I thought was an awesome meet. I have a few of me being a dork at the hotel. Hopefully everyone else posts theres.

showimg.jpg

Akg love.

showimg.jpg

Retard face, Rs1s Pink floyd, Ray samuels in the back

showimg.jpg

HD 600? right?

Emmeline Stealth II

showimg.jpg

Turn table rig Ray samuel's setup

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #52 of 92
It looks like a good time was had by all -- shame I couldn't make it, I'd have loved to hear some of those nice goodies everybody had.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #53 of 92
I'm so glad to see that Telica made the trip out to this meet! At immitybicker's NYC mini-meet, she looked like she was digging the gear alot, so it just makes sense that she deserved more shots at some quality rigs! (BTW she makes the bestest brownies!)

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #54 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
(BTW she makes the bestest brownies!)

The bestest brownies!
eggosmile.gif

They even go good with Tequilla.

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #55 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
The bestest brownies!
eggosmile.gif

They even go good with Tequilla.

That's funny. because people who mispronounce her name, call her "Tequilla".
Do,do do, do, do, do do Tequilla!
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #56 of 92
What a good time.....

A special thanks to everyone who organized the meet...Salt Peanuts, Drp...the manufacturers who brought the extra special goodies...and the others who allowed me to sample headphones and amps that I've been reading about over the last 6 months (I am a newbie)!

Lisa and I had a great time...well worth the trip from Philly! She was only disappointed that there was no afterhours party!?! Perhaps next time...

Thoughts, impressions, comments, rediculousness:

1. Thanks to Yikes and Immtnbkr I found a new love...Sony headphones! From the time I did spend with them I feel they fall perfectly between my somewhat sterile 650's (more on that later) and the exagerated Grado's (imo). This may be the find of the meet for me!

2. Amp, amp and more amps...Headroom's balanced Max, Singlepower's PPX3, Ray's Raptor, Yikes' Benchmark, and a Krell that belonged to someone (perhaps Immtnbkr?)...I spent most of the later hours bouncing between these with my personal headphones...tell me where else one can do this??? Headphone heaven perhaps?!? Until I listened to my 650's through these amps I thought the bass was present but dead...now I know the Senn's can be alive!

3. Drp let me hear a pair of Senn 201's that I believe are new ($20 in any event)...they blew me away for a cheap sealed can that presents an alternative to canal phones...If only I heard them before buying Ety 4's!!!!

4. Ray hooked up his new phono pre to my personal TT...I've always wanted to hear a good phono stage and he afforded me the chance to hear one using my personal rig (TT and Headphones) amped by his Raptor...what a treat...tell me another audio show where this happens!?!

5. Didn't get a chance to hear K-1000's...my only disapointment, and completely my own fault!

Thanks again to all...perhaps better than the meet itself was finding out that Lisa and I can actually spend an afternoon listening together! And for that I thank all the kind people who made us welcome.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #58 of 92
Uh oh, looks like we have a Dream Theater fan or two
biggrin.gif
Nice!

dsc0076600798sb.jpg

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #59 of 92
I can't thank you all enough for making the meet such an incredible success. Thanks to Salt Peanuts for keeping the first post up to date and in order. That was in itself a full-time job, long before the first piece of gear was assembled.

As Salt Peanuts mentioned, we ended up with enough cash to donate $177.00 to Head-Fi. I think the final tally had a lot to do with the "biggest guy in audio" making the announcement that I was a bit short and for people to donate to the cause. With a guy like Yikes asking for money, I actually pulled out my wallet too. Your collective generosity is very much appreciated.

Impressions:

After listening to RS1s through Ray's Stealth and vinyl, I started to think that I was either a Grado guy, a vinyl guy, or both. What a magic combination. After listening to the Meridian and Raptor combination with my HD650 Zu/woodie, I think I'll pull my HD650s off of the for sale forum. So that's what Senns really sound like. My Sensa 2X-S were also completely alive with that rig.

What can I type about the Hornet, other than I can't wait to get one. I was able to spend some extra time with this little wonder and it made my D25 Turbo and Sensas sound like a big, big system. It also sounded amazing with the Moon Audio-modded KSC-35. I then plugged the Hornet into my Apogee, and this combination drove my HD650s to a level that had me blinking in wonder. I could easily live with this combination for a long, long time.

Tyll's Micro Amp with the micro module was great; with the Desktop module, it was simply outstanding. His Micro Stack, using my EJ2000 as a transport, was also very surprising. To have that kind of sound in a portable is a testament to Tyll's commitment to stay on the bleeding edge of hi-end audio. Bummed that I didn't get a chance to hear the balanced Max. Next meet, which I hope to have in the fall, and hopefully at the same place.

I had already Heard Vinnie's Clari-T with the AKG K100 (first time with those cans), but had to listen again at the meet. They were another combination that astounded me. Completely articulate and completely non-fatiguing. His amp also drove my Woodied 650 (XLR to spade lug adapter) extremely well. I also spent a bit of time with his battery powered DAC. For the smooth sound and great value, this DAC is a great addition to our growing and somewhat difficult choices.

I had precious little time with Mikhail’s PPX3, right at the beginning of the meet. Never made it back with my reference tunes for a proper listen, but what I heard sounded great. Next time. In general, I missed listening to way too much gear, but enjoyed running around meeting everyone and making sure all was in order. It was a memorable experience.

It was great to finally meet some of the folks from the forum. Ray and I had several lengthy conversations about what a wonderful community this really is. I feel fortunate to be a part of it all.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back