Boston/N.E. Meet - Sunday, August 26, 2007 (it's actually in Marlborough)
Aug 21, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #137 of 201
Haj, any luck on you Beta22 arriving?

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #139 of 201
Well, unfortunately for me I'm no longer going to be able to make it to the meet. Turns out I'm going to be in RI for my father in law's birthday which is really the day before but due to some scheduling conflicts with the rest of the family we're celebrating the day of the meet.

Anyway, I would still like to donate the items I mentioned for the silent auction. I work in the city so if anyone else attending works nearby maybe I can get the stuff to them during the day some time this week.

Let me know if this might work.

Ken

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #140 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, that's too bad.
frown.gif

At least she's paying for my cruise. lol

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #141 of 201
Big box from Headroom arrived yesterday, WUHOO!

We've got a Balanced Desktop (w/ Desktop Module and DAC), Single Ended Desktop (with Max Module and DAC), balanced K701s, and a balanced Cardas Senn cable. I'll be providing transports (redbook CD) for both those setups and I'll put the balanced Cardas cable on my modded HD580s (600 grills) so that people can try those as well on the balanced amp. I'll also try to build a balanced to SE adapter in time for the meet so that either set of cans could also be used with the SE Desktop.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #143 of 201
move me to the confirmed list, may already have as many riders as I can fit

and is there any allowance for setup time, ie. when can we really get into the room?

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #144 of 201
Great stuff, Nate. A balanced amp is actually what I'm most interested in for a future purchase. I'm really looking forward to checking out the balanced desktop.

My source has balanced outs however I don't have a balanced interconnect (my source is male - i.e. needs a female xlr - with pin1 ground, pin2 phase, pin3 inverted). If anyone can bring one to the meet, I would be most grateful.

[edit] Also my source can take coax/optical digital in and upsample it (and pass it along at various word lengths and sampling rates through a digital out if you want to use a different dac instead of the internal dac and analog outs on the player - weird huh). So if you want to check that out - hell I'd like to check it out myself - bring along the appropriate digital cables please.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #145 of 201
there was a question asked earlier about whether we can set up in the room before noon -- i haven't seen an answer.

if we can't get in earlier, is say noon - 1 set-up time?

also -- any additional information about table assignments or room layout?

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #146 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Strictly speaking there are no formal table assignments other than a rough location for the manufacturers so we keep things spaced out nicely. I'll see if I can't shoot Dave an email about when we can have access to the room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_the_gamer
My source has balanced outs however I don't have a balanced interconnect (my source is male - i.e. needs a female xlr - with pin1 ground, pin2 phase, pin3 inverted). If anyone can bring one to the meet, I would be most grateful.

Tim, the balanced desktop will have its own source so you don't need to worry about using yours. And so I can keep an eye on the gear I think it's going to remain tethered to the table next to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #147 of 201
I have the room signed out from 12:00 to 7:00. It is my hope that I and the rest of the Meet Team can get in early to start pre-setup.

Nate will bring a document that describes the layout. The main focus of room setup this year is to have predefined/reserved space for vendors that are attending, and to the extent possible, reserved space for sent-in gear. We do need time to add signs to tables that define the reserved spaces. With this done, there will be open space for others to set up.

The meet officially begins at noon. Unless we can finish earlier and open it up to general setup, this is the time where you can come in and start setting up gear. This will be as casually managed as possible; we might just point you to a known open area....... Vendors will need extra time to set up, so can come in during pre-setup.

There is no real pre-defined set-up time, in that as soon as gear is hot, folks are listening and milling around while others are setting up. However, there is a defined break-down time. Attendees should plan to start breaking down and packing up at around 6:40 pm. We have in the past been able to stay a bit longer than 7:00, but this is based on whether a crew needs the room for the next event. It is not uncommon that I get hit with an extra time fee if we are in too early and/or stay too late.

Just a few days to go now!

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there was a question asked earlier about whether we can set up in the room before noon -- i haven't seen an answer.

if we can't get in earlier, is say noon - 1 set-up time?

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #148 of 201
So, just to summarize, people should plan on showing up at 12:00 for setup. The meet will "start" as soon as there's one rig up and running
smily_headphones1.gif
, which should be shortly thereafter.

I would like to politely ask that people not try and arrive early to get a jump on setting up. I don't want to see Dave hit with any fees or penalties.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #149 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tim, the balanced desktop will have its own source so you don't need to worry about using yours. And so I can keep an eye on the gear I think it's going to remain tethered to the table next to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotcha. I was hoping to audition the desktop specifically with my source (for synergy) and also because I don't really have any interest in the headroom internal dac, but if that won't be possible, no sweat.
cool.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #150 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, just to summarize, people should plan on showing up at 12:00 for setup. The meet will "start" as soon as there's one rig up and running
smily_headphones1.gif
, which should be shortly thereafter.

I would like to politely ask that people not try and arrive early to get a jump on setting up. I don't want to see Dave hit with any fees or penalties.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

I'll be very interested to hear/see your DIY transport. Any chance you'll have some tools on hand to open her up? Or like a cutaway acrylic case to see the insides ... I'll get right to work on that
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back