Boston/N.E. Meet - Sunday, August 26, 2007 (it's actually in Marlborough)
Aug 23, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #152 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_the_gamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotcha. I was hoping to audition the desktop specifically with my source (for synergy) and also because I don't really have any interest in the headroom internal dac, but if that won't be possible, no sweat.
cool.gif

We'll see what we can do to arrange that, I'm not sure if I'll have time to build the necessary cables but I'll try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be very interested to hear/see your DIY transport. Any chance you'll have some tools on hand to open her up? Or like a cutaway acrylic case to see the insides ... I'll get right to work on that
wink.gif

Can't say that I had any plans to open it up but we'll see what we can do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not gonna make it, have a funeral to attend saturday in the other direction

Sorry to hear that man, was looking forward to meeting you.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #153 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh do come. I'd very much like to hear a K340!

Erg. Looks like I can't make it either. I've spent too much money buying furniture last week. Good thing there will still be a pair of K340.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #154 of 201
Had a little time tonight so I banged out a set of balanced cables to bring to the meet.

DSC_1583_resize.JPG

And here's the balanced to single ended adapter I built last night:

DSC_1582_resize.JPG

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #156 of 201
Quote:

Those look great. I'll have to do some reading on balanced in the next couple of days. Is there a benefit by running balanced cans from an unbalanced source/amp?

There's no benefit from running balanced cans from a single ended amp. The adapter is so that if you wire your cans balanced you can still listen to a single-ended amp if you want. You can't get the benefit of balanced without having a dedicated balanced cable.

There is however still a benefit to using a balanced amp even if your source is single ended. There are posts that have done a much better job explaining this than I can so I'd suggest researching the topic. It's commonly referred to balanced drive.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #157 of 201
Wow, I didn't mean to put you through any trouble, Nate. I hope you didn't do that solely on my account. Nice work though and thanks a bunch
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if we can just get some nice weather too... what can you do about that?
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #158 of 201
No trouble, I had a bit of free time and already had the parts on hand so I figured up the soldering rig and an hour later cables were born.

Can't say I've ever had any luck with the weather.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #160 of 201
Sad news. Our good friend and amp designer extraordinaire, Ray Samuels, will not be attending the Boston Area meet. He just called to let me know that he now needs to be in California on personal business.

Our brethren on the West coast will instead benefit from Ray's change in travel plans, since he will be in that area . . . lucky ducks!

Ray has attended all of the meets held in the Marlborough location and will be sorely missed. He did promise that he will make the next one, and I plan hold him to it.

On with the show……

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #161 of 201
The lists updated. Less than two days away!

FYI...
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad news. Our good friend and amp designer extraordinaire, Ray Samuels, will not be attending the Boston Area meet. He just called to let me know that he now needs to be in California on personal business.

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #162 of 201
Hey gang,

Here's the basic agenda for Sunday's gathering. Since some folks usually cannot stay for the entire meet, we'll hold the raffle and auction ~mid-way through the day.

Agenda

12:00 – Setup and start of the fun
3:30 – Equation Audio gear raffle
4:30 - Silent auction ends and winners snag their stuff
6:40 – Breakdown and pack up
7:00 – Farewells and migration to the bar or similar

Equation Audio Raffle

P.K. will have the raffle tickets at his table; you may buy raffle tickets from P.K. up until 3:15 pm.

Cost: $5.00 per ticket; five tickets maximum per person.

Prizes: Range from entry level to better quality. We will alternate picking a winner for the entry-level headphones and then from the better headphones, till all are awarded.

Rules:
- You must be present to win.
- You can win only once. Once chosen for a prize, future wins by the same individual are ignored and another ticket will be drawn.
- All that attend the meet are eligible for the raffle (and silent auction); you do not need to be a current Head-Fi member.

Your part: Equation Audio has shown extreme generosity in donating all of this gear. What we should give in return is honest impressions of the headphones. If you are lucky enough to win, and after spending time with the products, please consider providing feedback. P.K. will have additional information on this.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #164 of 201
Quote:

I hope all is well with Ray ...

Ray is fine and dandy. He had a late-breaking opportunity to see friends and family (from downunder) that will be passing through that area for a very short period of time; could not pass up the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back