Bose TriPorts
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #166 of 192
Your comment has been very interesting, I noticed this type of phenomena (I guess is a phenomenon since is not a subjective feeling) with this Triport too.
Since I am a MD (internist) I have a VERY ACCURATE ears refined thru the long years (about 30) of auscultation of human heartbeats and respiration sounds. I guess that a more pro Headphones may take advantages of this spatial phenomenon a produce a more auditorium type feeling with instrument steadily placed.
If you don't mind I would like to have a recommendation for some $100-$150 can that can be better than my grado Sr60 and Bose's. I would need two...
One that should be as comfortable and light as possible, over/around the ear with good isolation, since I travel a lot by plane; and another that may be a little better for my Onkyo equipment soon to come. How about Audio-technica ANC-7?
Next weekend I will fly out to Miami... I just found CompUsa, BestBuy, Target, GuitarCenter and Apple stores as places to try...know another more specialized one? Another option is test them there and buy them on-line at Amazon, etc.

I appreciate your support....and sorry if this is out of main topic.

Donmichael

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #167 of 192
The auditory imaging phenomena happens to some degree with most headphones. Some unconventional designs might avoid it, but I don't have anything like that to try. The Sony V6 just happens to really exaggerate the effect.

I took a short rest with my Denon D2000 headphones on today and didn't hear any of the Sony V6 effect while laying down or getting up or moving around. Just a little bit of the image moving to the top of my head while tilting my head back while laying down. Very minor. Nothing like the Sony V6. The Denon's are awesome at keeping a consistent steady spacious image even as I move around or lay down.

I don't have experience with any similarly priced closed headphones to give a recommendation. I'm willing to talk about the quirks of the TriPorts and Sony V6 because I have them and am commenting on things I have heard first-hand.

I'd be willing to listen to the Sony V6 during a flight. They play great straight from an iPod. But their imaging quirks still bother me. Not a headphone that I'd buy today though. I'd look for something better.

My travel rig is just my iPod unamped. Headphones typically are Senn PX-100, occasionally Grado SR60, and the JVC in-ear when I need isolation (like on a plane flight). The JVC are quirky, have sibilance, and don't sound right for all music. I choose music to suit them and I can get through a flight with them just fine.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #168 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donmichael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comment has been very interesting, I noticed this type of phenomena (I guess is a phenomenon since is not a subjective feeling) with this Triport too.
Since I am a MD (internist) I have a VERY ACCURATE ears refined thru the long years (about 30) of auscultation of human heartbeats and respiration sounds. I guess that a more pro Headphones may take advantages of this spatial phenomenon a produce a more auditorium type feeling with instrument steadily placed.
If you don't mind I would like to have a recommendation for some $100-$150 can that can be better than my grado Sr60 and Bose's. I would need two...
One that should be as comfortable and light as possible, over/around the ear with good isolation, since I travel a lot by plane; and another that may be a little better for my Onkyo equipment soon to come. How about Audio-technica ANC-7?
Next weekend I will fly out to Miami... I just found CompUsa, BestBuy, Target, GuitarCenter and Apple stores as places to try...know another more specialized one? Another option is test them there and buy them on-line at Amazon, etc.

I appreciate your support....and sorry if this is out of main topic.

Donmichael

I have never heard this and it is based off what I have read but I would check out the Ultrasone headphones.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #169 of 192
The full-sized Ultrasones are actually rather heavy (10 oz.) which wouldn't fit his requirements. And if he doesn't mind that weight, the only ones that fit the price and isolation requirement are the HFI-450, HFI-580, and DJ1. Calling in northernsound.net gives good prices.

The bose triports are really irritating to me, my brain's been rewired by Ultrasone's studio headphones to expect separation not the convergence of music (not necessarily a bad thing) which triports does.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #170 of 192
Thanks for replying.
Ham, do you have experence with the cheapo Senn PX250 isolation/sound?
As I said before in my weekend trip to Miami I may get one of this to test it.
I have the feeling that alll those OE cam allow a sound leaking. (Even never have had one)... I prefer AE indeed.

Haloxt, I like this term "convergence"..I don't know if it is an audiotech term, but that is how I may define what happen with the Triport, which I do not hesitate to recommend for a not so demanding teenager. I can not separate any instrument at all, and they come to me as a salad of vegetables.
For my travels I will test the Audiotechnica ATH-ANC-7, hoping to find them in any Miami store. Unfortunately they have increased its price to almost 90% in Amazon... (from US$122 to US$200!!!!)...perhaps because their demand.
Here you guys have said that they are better than the Bose QC's...

Thanks again.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #171 of 192
I have never listened to the Sennheiser PX200 or the PX250 (I assume you mean the noise canceling one). I'm not much help there.

One thing to watch for with noise canceling phones is whether they can play at all when the battery runs out. Some will, some won't.

If you can find a Guitar Center or similar shop you might be able to listen to some Audio Technicas. One that would be on my list would be the ATH-M50 (I've never heard it). The comments about it make it worthy a try.

Quote:

I can not separate any instrument at all, and they come to me as a salad of vegetables.

I like that analogy. Very true of the TriPort sound. You're going to enjoy the upgrade to phones that have space and separation.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #172 of 192
What have you done, Ham? Now I am the one who fell in love with the M50.
I have now read dozens of comments related to this cam, most of them positives. Of course, first I hope I can find them in a rack to listen on them (There is a GuitarCenter on the Kendall building near where CircuitCity was in Miami).
Now I have to decide upon the V6, ATH-ANC7 (NC) or the M50...I know that the ANC7 needs the batteries otherwise people say that it sounds mud and opaque...
As I said, I travel a lot, and thinking loud I shouldn't have buy the Triport but these two...anyway I have a 21 years old artist in home who may inherit them.
I wonder if those AT are as light and comfortable as the Triport, which are REALLY comfortable, believe me.
Here in DR, I can find the Senn PX100 really cheap, The different with the PX200 is that the latter is a "close" one....I wonder how they behave related to the Triport...
I already figure my wife watching me tangled with 3-4 cam and saying: "Oh, God your COD again!"
redface.gif

Thanks again

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #173 of 192
Trust your ears since you're going to be auditioning the phones you want. Things get difficult if you try to base a decision on reviews of phones that you have never actually listened to. If you can listen to a variety of headphones first you are much better off. Reviews and opinions are difficult to go by because people listen differently and have different requirements. There are some here who will disagree with my assessment of the Sony V6. There is always a range of opinions.

You seem to have a good sense of sound. You're hearing faults in the TriPorts, you're identifying that instruments aren't separated well, frequency problems, etc. You've got what it takes to weed out the bad headphones. Listen for the headstage. Some headphones (especially sealed) sound like they are pumping sound into your ears while others sound like the sound exists around your ears. That's one thing that separates the good from the bad, the pleasing to listen to from the tiring to listen to. Trust your ears. There is no guarantee you'll end up making the absolute optimum decision, but it won't be the worst either.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #174 of 192
Quote:

Here in DR, I can find the Senn PX100 really cheap, The different with the PX200 is that the latter is a "close" one....I wonder how they behave related to the Triport...

The PX100 is a nice convenient portable headphone. It is open so will leak sound both ways. The case it comes with is nice because I can fold it up and throw it in a backpack without worrying that the headphones might get damaged. But it takes a few minutes to unpack and unfold them, then a few minutes to fold them up again.

Sound is good and detailed. It actually has highs unlike the TriPort. But the sound is not as big and full as the TriPort. Consider it more accurate and detailed with a reasonable bass. It has it's faults in the sound quality, but is a portable headphone I'm always happy to listen to.

A good strategy is to use two headphones for portable. One open and one closed (or IEM). Use the open headphones when you can and use the closed headphones when you need isolation.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #175 of 192
Your opinion sounds very wise to me. I guess we have to decide if we want "natural" sounds, "pleasants" sounds, "personal" sounds (the music is sounding to ME), etc...There is a subtle difference between these approaches.
I prefer "closed" types...I wonder if the PX200 would sound a little lower (bassier?-sorry for my terrible english) than the PX100, due to the fact that they are closed. However some (I would say most of you), prefers the open PX100 than its sibbling. I think is quite related with the environmental situation as you said.
I can find here the PX100/200 under US$50, so I might use them when traveling (PX200).
I will check the fullness between the PX100 and the Triport.

Thanks again, Ham

May 13, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #177 of 192
I've been auditioning a pair of the over the ear models so I thought I'd chime in here.

I'm actually quite impressed with these. When I first started listening to them I just plain didn't like them, probably because they are Bose and I'm quite biased against Bose. I'm also used to the Denon sound and the triports offer a different sound.

However, I've forced myself to listen to them, play with EQ, and just get used to them. I've been listening to Denons exclusively for a long time so it was a an adjustment.

In comparison to the Denons the triports are drier and lean sounding. The highs with the triports seem more pronounced because they sound slightly more "horn" like. As for the bass, they have less bass impact/presence than the Denons, which is not much of a statement because just every headphone has less bass than the Denons. The triports still have a good bass impact.

I suppose the primary difference is that Denons have a thicker sound, which I'm used to so the Bose sound thinner in comparison. The benefit of this is that the midrange on the Bose sounds a bit clearer because of the reduced bass presence compared to the Denons.

I bet if I listened to the triports for a month straight the Denon would sound completely bloated and congested.

So the triports are actually quite good.

**edit**

Most Bose stuff I've heard has a typical V shaped sound signature and these are no exception. The stuff in the middle (e.g. voices) just doesn't have the magic I would like from a headphone as it sounds a somewhat distant. Oh well, they are decent headphones though.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #178 of 192
Sorry to dust this off but I thought this would be a good place to raise the following question:

Assuming all of the cheaper BOSE equivalents were the same price or more, would you still not buy BOSE? I'm asking because importing Audio Technica/Beyer/Denon/some other good equivalents will be as much or more than buying BOSE locally. I have some UE Super.fi 5 Pros, which I think are fairly accurate (if a bit bassy/warm.) Assuming I want to throw my audiophile snobbyness away for a few hours at a time and just enjoy some good, artificially-enhanced music, surely the BOSE AEs would be a great option.
I'm 90% sure I'm going to get these over Senn HD555 or AT AD700...

Someone talk me out of it, please x_x

j

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #179 of 192
Interesting to read the Triport review. I've noticed that I've been impressed with the SQ of Bose PA systems at a number of small gigs I've been to recently. If they can do a good PA sytem, why should headphones be any different?

Never heard Bose headphones but I've been wondering if all the hate can be justified. They do seem pricey but I can't imagine that they'd be as bad as people here sometimes make out.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #180 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to read the Triport review. I've noticed that I've been impressed with the SQ of Bose PA systems at a number of small gigs I've been to recently. If they can do a good PA sytem, why should headphones be any different?

Never heard Bose headphones but I've been wondering if all the hate can be justified. They do seem pricey but I can't imagine that they'd be as bad as people here sometimes make out.

It's a very easy bandwagon to jump on, people love to hate the mainstream. Look at indie music lovers, for instance. (Guilty, working to rectify my snobby ways.)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back