Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they were actually comparing QC2's, which are ~$300 'phones

not TriPorts

and please never use the grammar "are not neither" again
frown.gif
frown.gif

double negative... get over it. haha

Yes, the Q2's msrp are $300. What is your point? The HD650's are $600.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #152 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

point being, the TriPorts weren't being compared to the HD 650's, nor was that my review, that was someone else's comment, and they also posted that it wasn't a "head-fi suitable review" (because people will cry over it)

as far as "oh god we can't compare stuff not in the same price range", I put the TriPorts against K701's and ESP/10's, and they were merely different, not better or worse (imho they're not "as good", because I'm more partial to the K701 and ESP/10), and I pointed out the QC2's being $300 'phones in the comparison to the HD 600/650 (which is commonly a ~$400 'phone
rolleyes.gif
)

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #153 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
point being, the TriPorts weren't being compared to the HD 650's, nor was that my review, that was someone else's comment, and they also posted that it wasn't a "head-fi suitable review" (because people will cry over it)

as far as "oh god we can't compare stuff not in the same price range", I put the TriPorts against K701's and ESP/10's, and they were merely different, not better or worse (imho they're not "as good", because I'm more partial to the K701 and ESP/10), and I pointed out the QC2's being $300 'phones in the comparison to the HD 600/650 (which is commonly a ~$400 'phone
rolleyes.gif
)

I was asking what the point was for stating the $300 msrp of the Q2's - it looked like you were using its higher price to justify the comparison with the HD650.

And the QC2's are not commonly $300 - they can be commonly had for under $200. So the price argument there is still moot - the HD650's are still twice the price.

I'm fully aware that the bose/hd650 comparison was not made by you - i never implied otherwise. But truth be told, comparing them to $300 headphone - K701 is about the same thing... of which i don't have any prob with.

And i never posted a problem with, "oh god we can't compare stuff not in the same price range".

Cheers....

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #154 of 192
Quote:

It was me who posted the QC2/3 and HD650 comparison. I'm the guilty one.
wink.gif

I was only reporting the interesting findings if you like. It was never meant to be any kind of reviews.

And I paid $350 new for my Senn HD650.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #155 of 192
Quote:

I was asking what the point was for stating the $300 msrp of the Q2's - it looked like you were using its higher price to justify the comparison with the HD650.

And the QC2's are not commonly $300 - they can be commonly had for under $200. So the price argument there is still moot - the HD650's are still twice the price.

I'm fully aware that the bose/hd650 comparison was not made by you - i never implied otherwise. But truth be told, comparing them to $300 headphone - K701 is about the same thing... of which i don't have any prob with.

And i never posted a problem with, "oh god we can't compare stuff not in the same price range".

Cheers....

ah, then no harm
beerchug.gif

my point was more that, most people seem to complain whenever the HD650 is compared to Bose products (because its the FoTM audiophile product until the end of time apparently), however its usually compared to the QC2/QC3, since they're "similarly priced" (at least usually compared by mainstream media), and I was hoping to point out for naysayers that they are closer together than some think (in terms of pricing and whatnot, but you do raise a good point about QC's going on sale, while AE's don't for some reason)

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #156 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was me who posted the QC2/3 and HD650 comparison. I'm the guilty one.
wink.gif

I was only reporting the interesting findings if you like. It was never meant to be any kind of reviews.

And I paid $350 new for my Senn HD650.

Ya, i know. And i have no issues with it. I just found it odd that they liked the bose over the HD650's, and therefore stated that i'm sure the same people, or at least some, would like the bose over the HD800's.

I was stating the MSRP price of the HD650's, not the street price, just as Bob was stating the MSRP of the QC2's. Both can be had for considerably less.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #157 of 192
Quote:

Ya, i know. And i have no issues with it. I just found it odd that they liked the bose over the HD650's, and therefore stated that i'm sure the same people, or at least some, would like the bose over the HD800's.

I'm guessing most people (overall, as in general public) would probably take Bose over HD800's, purely because $1400 for a pair of hp's + whatever amplification is RIDICULOUS to consider, vs $150-$300 for Bose (and how much better are they really gonna be? and every time I ask this, the response is "shut up bob, they're a good value at $1400!", even when nobody has heard them
rolleyes.gif
)

honestly theres a point where you gotta say enough is enough
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #158 of 192
A very interesting review Bob. I wrote a review on the On-Ear earlier this year and I found it to be a very natural sounding headphone with very sub-par bass quality. I'm guessing the Around-Ear sounds much better?

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #159 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A very interesting review Bob. I wrote a review on the On-Ear earlier this year and I found it to be a very natural sounding headphone with very sub-par bass quality. I'm guessing the Around-Ear sounds much better?

haven't heard the on-ear, can't really say, sorry

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #162 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to elaborate?

AEs are full sounding compared to OEs. They have got much fuller bodied sound with better vocals. Instrument separation is quite good compared to OEs, deep bass is much more refined and has got some texture to it. OEs on the other hand sound boomier with bass scattered all over. OEs mids are over shadowed by the booming bass. Highs are kind of similarly laid back on both these.

But keep in mind that these impressions are only applicable for AEs and OEs with subtle differences in between them. Don't compare these impressions to your high end cans or the cans in my signature.

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #163 of 192
I listened to the demo triports at BestBuy for two minutes, it sounded very engaging and full-bodied but I don't know how much of it is due to sound equalizing of what it was playing. But if it is that engaging for all music I can see some people liking the Bose sound signature. Next Saturday I'll bring my mp3 player and try listening straight out and see what the sound signature and sound resolution really is like. Meanwhlie I'll be burning in my iCans which sound like $5 headphones right now (at first they sounded like $2 headphones).

edit: ok that wasn't very fair to the iCans, they have a sweet signature it's just they're seriously missing frequencies and unless they really evolve next Saturday I might have to call triports the lesser of two evils
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #164 of 192
Living outside USA, I got this triport in a local retailer here in Dominican Republic and even not being an audiophile I would say that these headphones are not that bad. Its frequency response is mediocre and their bass level are far from a professional one. I would prefer the grado sr's but since I am using them for my classical Ipod and while traveling with my netbook I am feeling very satisfied.
I assure that no one would conceive ANY other headphone so COMFORTABLE like these ones, and the noise suppression felt was almost on par with the one produced by the QC-2 and as intense as the QC-3....without being a NC phones.
I am heading to get a Sony V6, based on the recommendation I have read here.
I tested the Sennheiser 280 Pro but I found grotesque and heavy compared with these ULTRACOMFORTABLE and LIGHT AE Bose.....
Another thing I found was that these AE were much better than the more expensive OE.
For a not so demanding listener I would recommend them.

Thanks for allow me this my first posting.

Donmichaelo
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #165 of 192
My brief comments on the TriPorts are in this thread. They're not a sound that I like for the music I listen to.

I'll temper your enthusiasm for the Sony V6. I have owned them since the mid 80s. I used them all through college. They got a lot of use. They do some things well and some things very wrong. I'm going to focus on what they do wrong.

They do things very funny with imaging. I compare it to an auditory version of an optical illusion. The kind of optical illusion where you look at a 3D line image and it will pop out of the page towards you, then you look at it slightly differently and it pops behind the page. That's what audio imaging does between my ears and around my head when I listen to the V6 depending on how I hold my head. It gets worse if I lay down in bed or recline while listening. The sound image moves to where it should not be and doesn't stay put. That kind of effect does not happen with my Denon AH-D2000, Sennheisers, or Grados when I lie down or recline. Only the Sony V6.

It's not just me. Here's a comment from an old FAQ at The Binaural Source.
Quote:

I have found only two models of headphones that seem to compromise the binaural effect, and those are the Sony MDR-V6 and V7. Other Sony phones are fine, even inexpensive ear bud types.

That is due to the funny imaging effects I mentioned. If you keep your head locked still they do better, but if you move or tilt your head things get wonky.

My V6 headphones are old. The new ones may be different. I have never listened to more recent versions of the V6.

If you can listen to the V6 before buying them then do so. Lie down on a bed or the floor and see what happens to the imaging. Compare it to the TriPorts or anything else. You should be able to notice how the V6 gets all wonky while other headphones do not. That kind of auditory mind game is not what you want in a headphone. And a headphone that can't do justice to binaural recordings? What the? Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back