Bose Triport IE's - impressions from users
Nov 20, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #121 of 194
I am happily listening to a pair of JVC Marshmallows. $10 and it isolates plus sounds great for the money. I wouldn't even waste my time on BOSE.

Nov 20, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #122 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass takes days to settle down, not hours, and you need to burn these with loud bassy music (it took about 5 days for me to decide to keep them). The IE is actually a better performer than the Triports when it comes to the details, but for some, the high frequency rolloff may overcome whatever advantages it has.

Ill try that...I kan overpower it w/ bass on my PC...and Ill see if it settles ofer the next few days

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #124 of 194
just got back from circuit city with the bose triport in ears. i have been listening to them for about 2 hours and do not want to take them out of my ears. the comfort is unparalleled!(i own or have owned shure 2g,4g and 5c, ue superfi 5 and xtrmemac fs1). while the sound quality and isolation might not equal some of the more expensive earphones the bass is certainly superior. for $100 they are untouchable.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #125 of 194
ATX

Comments you've made lead me to believe that you have listened to ALOT of headphone/amp combinations. Didn't you say that the LDM+ would be a good amp to drive the IE's? Also, you commented on the LDM+ neither adding or subtracting much of anything to the sound. Was that the commercial phrase or your experience?

If so, how does the choice of this particular amp (bought one yesterday so I'm going through my anxious period) compensate for the roll-off of high frequency signal?

Just wondering,

BTW: have you read any comments on the vibe other then those from the dealers (not that I discount what they say)?
plainface.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #126 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you commented on the LDM+ neither adding or subtracting much of anything to the sound. Was that the commercial phrase or your experience?

That's the commercial phrase. I don't have one, but from what I've read from the LDM thread, many owners mentioned that the amp is cold-sounding and lean on the bass, so this sounds like a good match for the IE. I was considering getting one but decided against it since my existing Portaphile already sounds good with the IE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW: have you read any comments on the vibe other then those from the dealers (not that I discount what they say)?
plainface.gif

Nothing helpful so far. Most of them are people's impressions, but I'm really looking for a comparative review of the vibe against other IEMs. It's hard to do since not everyone hear the same things, and I believe some people don't really know what they're hearing, and yet others are prejudiced against certain brands.
biggrin.gif

My impression of the reviews so far is that they're decent IEMs for the price but there's really nothing special/exceptional about them other than its looks.... i.e. just another potential alternative to the ER6i (which I hate) and the e2c.

From V-moda's website:

"V-MODA Vibe - World's First Hi-Def Luxury Earphones Designed for Fashion-Forward Active Lifestyle... "

It seems that they're trying to position/market these IEMs as a luxury item. i.e. "these don't only sound good, but will make you look good as well." So they're aiming for the vain, pretty-looking audiophiles to buy them, not the geeky ugly ones with glasses and low self-esteem.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #127 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that they're trying to position/market these IEMs as a luxury item. i.e. "these don't only sound good, but will make you look good as well." So they're aiming for the vain, pretty-looking audiophiles to buy them, not the geeky ugly ones with glasses and low self-esteem.
eggosmile.gif

As if those exist

Oh he didn't!?
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #128 of 194
well I gave them a week, still requires an EXTREMELY skewed EQ to make them sound normal...back to the shop it is
frown.gif

Ill probably exchange them, and if the new ones still do that then Ill return them. I have faith in Bose that this isnt how their product is suposed to sound...

(With no EQing, it sounds like muddy bass, and no highs.)

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #129 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by swraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ill probably exchange them, and if the new ones still do that then Ill return them. I have faith in Bose that this isnt how their product is suposed to sound...

(With no EQing, it sounds like muddy bass, and no highs.)

They're probably not broken. Your experience sounds like my first impression of the IE when I first tried them after coming from the iM716. My hearing adjusted to the sound pretty quick though.

BTW, if you love your Triports, try to get your hands on the A900LTDs -- its what the triports/qc2 would sound like if Bose somehow fix its shortcomings and faults.

edit: curious, what are you plugging the IE to? I find that some sources make them sound more muddy. They sound pretty good out of an ipod, but not as good out of my dell dj player.

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #130 of 194
Upon reading how comfortable they are on your ear considering they are buds, I gave them a try. When people say they have rolled off treble and sound muddy, those are kind words. It is the MUDDIEST sounding headphone I have ever heard. The treble and most of the midrange isn't just "rolled" off, they sound like there is a thick piece of cloth blocking the drivers. Compared to my SA5k the treble seems to be rolled off by 35-40dbs! A fairer comparison to px100 and ksc75, they still totally lack in clearity. The good things about them is that they are indeed comfortable, and bass is really good considering they are earbuds. It's not the tight, defined bass, doesn't extend super deep is but VERY full sounding and full of ommph. The bass on IE absolutely kicks my ex71's ass, but I actually prefer ex71's crappy, shrieking treble to IE's muddy, non-existent treble. Some people may prefer IE's kind of sound presentation, or they don't mind letting their ears "adjust" to the sound, but this is DEFINITELY a try before you buy earbud.

Nov 24, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #131 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people may prefer IE's kind of sound presentation, or they don't mind letting their ears "adjust" to the sound, but this is DEFINITELY a try before you buy earbud.

Your quotation-marks around adjust suggest either that those who enjoy them are fooling themselves or are trying to fool others. I genuinely don't believe that this is a case of lowering one's expectations or choosing to like a muddy sound: the ies just aren't muddy any more with 95% of the material that I listen to ... something that I attribute to burn-in. The highs are there, alright, and the bass has extension and control in addition to punch.

(Note: my test track for bass is Portishead's "Glory Box" which will completely embarrass even (entry-level) audiophile speakers at 4:15 when the profound bass effect comes in. The best reproduction I've heard of this so far was on a friend's Linn speakers, and the ies are second best.)

Sure, muddiness will always be a potential weakness and I do occasionally run into it with some recordings but, as I've already said, I wouldn't still own them if they stayed with the same sound that they had out of the box.

I say that in good faith ... I've got no financial interest whatsoever in Bose.

You're right, though ... try before you buy, or - even better - buy with an eye to possibly returning within thirty days if you don't like them.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #132 of 194
yes!

I exchanged those suckers, and wow. These babys rock!
etysmile.gif

It was a bad pair of buds after all. They are great - and I presume they will sound better after a little more use- but im happy with them now! Crisp, clean Highs, sound perfect to my ears with my normal EQ. And the Lows are much richer and deeper, before they were loud and muddy.

Payce

edit: haha man i tried to see how loud the bass would get with out distortion...and man its going to be dinner time before I can hear properly again !

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #133 of 194
Wow, mine reached another plateau of breakin. I got tired of the weird way I had to EQ them with upper mids jacked up and went to a normal EQ again. Now they really sound fantastic with the mids wide open, bass still deep and plentiful but cleaner, more depth, more coherent sound.

To my ears they're ear buds that achieve the sound of big comfortable over ear cans. Quite an accomplishment, and especially at $100. Wait for these to break in fully before judging. I agree that you can't touch these for 100 bones.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #134 of 194
Hello!

First post, but not new to forums.

I orderd a set of the triport IE's about 2 months before they where released and picked them up on November 15th when they came out (I live in the UK) At first they sounded muddy, bass heavy, mid range was all there but very distant. Top end performance was non existent and I really had to listen to be able to hear anything going on up there.

I own the Bose CD player and an iPod mini, I set the iPod EQ to 'treble booster' and this improved the balance very well. I then tried the CD player and the IE's sounded much better, to me this simply meant they needed time to wear in.

I managed to get the ear buds to the correct sizes (although they have a habit of being prone to falling out easily if your head is up side down - don't ask
blink.gif
)

After 11 days I have turned my EQ off and found a really nice range and balance. Much better than before. They need a little more time to come round a full 100% and they can only get better.

I have noticed that the silicon ear tips shape to the ear over time. They become very comfortable and much more stable, although I am worried about the amount of ear wax these things seem to find, especially when they make a sound putting them in! I'll see me doctor about that...

Sound:

Lows certainly do exist. In general the bass goes as low as ive needed it to with the music I listen to, should an instrument require bass, the ear phones provide it with ample amounts allowing nice deep lows that arn't allways conveyed with other ear phones. Most earphones ive heard make bass punchy and a vibration, not a sound. What is pleasing is the fact that the bass produced by the earphones have definition, clarity, depth and they can easily change tone, note and pitch with a precision ive not heard from from other more expensive earphones.

Mid range is fantastic for the price, it can get a bit gritty around the edges of sounds with a few crackles. With rock music (be it heavy or soft) there is a certain lack of clarity that makes it sound like there is a layer of cling film over the ports, but I am being really picky here. Ive not yet found and instrument/instrument combination that really upsets the IE's, however if you load them up with multiple sounds then the bass and background instruments can get 'compressed' and don't come through as well as they should. Tey are still audible though allowing you to still hear them clearly.

The high end is still improving, although I wont say too much on this part just yet.

The IE's are a warm sounding ear phone with the right music, yet they can sound just as good with electric/house/trance where a colder earphone would suit. In general, these earphones are very good for their price to performance ratio, which as some people will endlessly debate, is a first for Bose. From listening to various systems, earphones and headphones over the years I can say that these are a strong contender for anyone who wants to buy a good ear phone for less than most, yet still achieve quite respectable performance. Noticably the IE's make 128kbps sound just that, a bit low quality, flat and un interesting. They really do benefit from the higher quality settings.

My personal view is that I will certainly suggest these to anyone that is shopping around and I will certainly be keeping hold of mine.

The music I listen to ranges from rock to alternative, clubbing music (trance, house but also some of the softer mixes) blues, old R+B (ive never taken to Rap, or the new R+B stuff) and a general mix of other things that occasionaly take my fancy.

I know ive commer spliced, speelling and grammar arn't brilliant but I hope ive got my point accross.

Cheers,

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back