Bose Triport IE's - impressions from users
Mar 24, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #181 of 194
Does everyone know that Bose has released new ear tips for the IEs which are said to increase comfort? I mean that is straight from Bose, so take it with a grain of salt, but an extra set of different shapped tips can only mean a better chance that the IE ends up fitting your particular ears, right?

Anwyay, the story has been reported many places so you may have seen it, but if not:

iLounge & CNet.

You can sign up–for free–to get the new eartips and supposedly there are two more accessories coming out in June.

Forgive me if this had been mentioned but I scanned through the thread and didn't see it.

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #182 of 194
I got these as a gift, and the bass sounds alot less muddy after a lot of listening, but to fix the stability issues, i put the large-size tips to some ****** broken Philips earbuds i have on them, and they actually provide a bit of isolation. Sorry for the quality, i only have a phone camera:
image042jp2.jpg

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #184 of 194
I've been listening to these for about 4 weeks now and they have really grown on me. I've never been a fan of any Bose product, and got these kind of by accident.

Normally I listen to Sennheiser PX100's or Westone UM2's on my iPod, but I am really enjoying the Bose in ear's and they are currently my favorite option. For the following reasons:

Comfort - the most comfortable phones I own. They just rest snugly in lower bowl of the ear, not plugging it up like typical IEM's, nor pressing the head or the ears like circumaural or on-ear phones. Also much softer than standard ear buds.

I can hear the outside world - I used to think that was a negative, but since I am most often listening to the iPod on the go, I've discovered that being completely aurally cut off from the outside world is sort of unnerving. I prefer a little outside noise.

The sound - I don't think they are as accurate as my Senn's or UM2's, but they are incomparably better than any earbuds I've heard and very pleasant to listen to. At very low volumes they are surprisingly balanced. Also, and this may have something to do with the large vent in the Boses, they don't seem to pound my eardrums as much as other phones at similar volumes. The sound is also peculiarly open, more "outside my head" than my other phones. They sound as open as they feel.

All in all, they are just a really fun set of phones. I think Bose's idea of a design midway between a bud and an IEM is a great one.

Have to get ahold of a pair of these new-improved silicone tips, though. Mine have fallen off 3 times which is 3 times too many.

An important note about fit: if, like me, you tend to use the largest size tips on a typical IEM, don't assume that the large tips for the Bose will be the best fit. These phones don't sound good with a complete seal: that just makes them all bottom end, no treble. Try each set of tips to see what makes them sound/feel best to you. For whatever reason, the mediums worked best for me.

Also on my iPod, they sound best with the treble boost setting (as do my UM2's).

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #185 of 194
these tri-ports were the first headphone i tried as an alternative to my grado sr 125 which ive had for 3 yrs now. i got them based upon many 5 star reviews on circuit city web site. they were very comfortable. and somewhat bassy. that is about the only good things i can say about these headphones, oh.. and i started looking for better advice on headphones and found headfi. i now own some akg 701s, and have played with etymotic er4s and ultimate ears super pro 5. all of these headphones sound better than bose tri-ports.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #188 of 194
Bose gave me a refund on the two sets of extra tips that I purchased and just sent me two complete sets of the new tips. It looks like they stiffened the silicone and they are a major improvement. They definitely stay on the housings now. Over the past month I've tried several sets of headphones, including the creative 630s, Koss k75s and V-moda Vibes. Except for the Koss 75s, they were all disappointing. I love the sound of the 75s but they are pretty funky looking when you're outside. With the new "stay-on" tips I have gone back to the Bose IEs and still find that using the large tips and looping the cables back over my ears gives me the best sound and fit stability. For outdoor use I usually use no EQ on my Ipod. If I have any issues with the high end on certain pieces of music, I use the Treble Boost EQ setting and the detail opens up more. I only wish that the IEs were more efficient since I usually have to push the Ipod's volume level to 75% or so to get the fullest sound from them and, as a result, have to recharge more frequently.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #189 of 194
after almost 5 months of owning the IEs, I still carry & listen to them daily. yes, I'm going to get the QC2 since the triports are fun to listen to.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

i now own some akg 701s, and have played with etymotic er4s and ultimate ears super pro 5. all of these headphones sound better than bose tri-ports.

after a year of owning the 701s, I must say it is one of the most boring headphones I've ever listened to. reference, yes. fun, no.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #190 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after almost 5 months of owning the IEs, I still carry & listen to them daily. yes, I'm going to get the QC2 since the triports are fun to listen to.
biggrin.gif

after a year of owning the 701s, I must say it is one of the most boring headphones I've ever listened to. reference, yes. fun, no.

boring and muddy = fun? lol
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #191 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boring and muddy = fun? lol
wink.gif

bose sounds warm and fuzzy to me, but I suppose one man's fuzz is another man's mud.
smily_headphones1.gif

(oh, but never boring... just listen to the bose bass! my 701s sound puny and sterile by comparison)

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #192 of 194
So anybody know how these would compare to the Yuin PK1? Those are buds; these are buds; price isn't that far off. My guess is that most, if not all, will probably say the PK1's will blow the Bose buds out the water, but am curious if anyone has actually listened to both, either amped or unamped, and can share the information with me.

Thanks.

Ciao,

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #193 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So anybody know how these would compare to the Yuin PK1? Those are buds; these are buds; price isn't that far off. My guess is that most, if not all, will probably say the PK1's will blow the Bose buds out the water, but am curious if anyone has actually listened to both, either amped or unamped, and can share the information with me.

Thanks.

Ciao,

never heard the pk1. bose in-ears blow shure e4cs out of the water in my experience, though. very... upfront, "gradoy". if the pk1s have a better fit i would go for them, bose inears are bad in that respect.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #194 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

Ciao,

I have the Bose IE and the PK1 and like them both for what they do. They are number 1 and 2 in my book when in comes to non-isolating buds (with the PK1 being 1 and Bose IE 2 that is).

The Bose IE are comfy and very warm-sounding. Like someone posted earlier, if you try and cram them into your ears to get a "seal," then all you'll get is muddy bass. You need to let some "air" in and let the earpieces rest in the cup of your ear. Haven't had a chance to listen to them amped since they sound fine out of my various iPods.

The PK1 to me though does everything better. Lows are low, highs are high, and the mids are there, very smooth and not too harsh. They sound great either amped or unamped and they're the best earbuds I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back